PDA

View Full Version : playing at the park

Helen79
25-06-2012, 11:00 AM
how involved do you get with toddlers at the park? We've been this morning and I only 1 mindee. She took her doll with her and was happy playing by herself. I shadowed her for a while and played with her but after 10mins i sat on the bench and left her to it, obviously helped her when she needed me.

Worried the other people in the park will think I'm lazy but I think they need their own space to play without me standing behind them all the time. The other mums at the park walk round after their toddlers and play with them. With my own 2 I sit and read a book and let them get on with it.

~Grasshopper~
25-06-2012, 11:06 AM
i also think about this. i have my own 4 and 2 year olds, 8 year old girl mindee who adores playing mum to the toddlers and a nearly 2 year old mindee. They are all good on the climbing frame (enclosed and safe) and only need me to push on swings so i tend to stand back and watch.

i think its good for them to play alone and feel free :)

x

JCrakers
25-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I ALWAYS feel bad when I sit down...I don't know why :laughing: I feel people are watching me and thinking "these childminders have it easy"
So I tend to keep walking around...I don't know why I don't relax a little :laughing:

Bluebell
25-06-2012, 11:26 AM
It completely depends on the child and their age and what kind of equipment is in the park. If the child needs your help then you would give it, if the child is playing happily this should not reflect badly on you at all! Although I do see your point as I let the kids play in the sand and they are usually so absorbed in what they are all doing they don't even notice me. I do think if I forget my watch and I check my mobile for the time I worry that everyone would think I am just on my phone the whole time and like you I wouldn't take a book to read like I do with my own kids, but no generally like you say it is best to let them get on with it. I feel sorry for kids who don't know how to play on their own!

Plenty of parents down the park today with their takeaway coffees and newspapers. My 2 were both really tired so I had to follow/help them quite a lot and we had to come home at 11! although nice thing is they both sound asleep and they never normally sleep at same time!

ChocolateChip
25-06-2012, 02:15 PM
If I know they can manage on their own and are happy I let them get on with it.
I am always watching and will obviously go and help if they need it, or want a push on the swings etc. but other than that they generally make their own entertainment (it's Billy goat gruff at the moment with lots of tripp trapping and a troll under the slide! :laughing:) Actually it really annoys me when I see people constantly saying to a child let's do this, and pulling them off the equipment after two minutes to go and do something else. I will happily follow a youngster round and help them if necessary but it's their decision where they want to go.

Twinkles
25-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I think the park is a great opportunity for independent play.

I do sit down but I watch them all closely.

The only piece of equipment I will help them with is a swing. I firmly believe if they cannot get up on a piece of equipment they probably shouldn't be playing on it.

amanda1309
25-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I think the park is a great opportunity for independent play.

I do sit down but I watch them all closely.

The only piece of equipment I will help them with is a swing. I firmly believe if they cannot get up on a piece of equipment they probably shouldn't be playing on it.

I totally agree with this. I'm always saying to the lo's if you can't do it on your own you shouldn't be playing on it.

funemnx
25-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I had 4 lo's this morning, playing in the park. I was aware how it looked as another CM joined me. We mostly sat watching the children play but I felt that if anyone was watching that we just did it for a quiet morning! :blush:

Not the case - the children asked to go, but I felt guilty for not 'working' as such! They had a great time - all tired out and slept well this afternoon :)

miffy
25-06-2012, 05:21 PM
TBH I've never really given much thought to whether people are watching me or not - I think if lo's are happy playing then that's fine but as someone else said it depends on the age/stage of the child and the equipment on the park - sometimes I don't sit down, others I relax and just watch them play.

Miffy xx

Bluebell
25-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Actually it really annoys me when I see people constantly saying to a child let's do this, and pulling them off the equipment after two minutes to go and do something else. I will happily follow a youngster round and help them if necessary but it's their decision where they want to go.

I agree - and its always on a time limit too - today a parent was in the park and it was literally a 10 minute visit and it was 'lets do this', 'lets do that', 'oh well if you don't want to do this then we're just going to go'!?