PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to safeguarding

childminder54
24-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Went on a course yesterday and missed out on childminding 3 children and loss of earnings. we was told we need to register on Ico if we are taking photos of children which costs £35. Two of use didn't know anything about this just to let you know if you have not done this.

cathtee
24-06-2012, 08:09 PM
thanks letting us know, our local body told us last year i'm surprised you were not notified:(

keri
24-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I was under the understanding that if you do not use the computer to download your photo's ie you put your camera memory card directly into the printer you didn't need to........but I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone will be along to confirm :)

sarah707
24-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I was under the understanding that if you do not use the computer to download your photo's ie you put your camera memory card directly into the printer you didn't need to........but I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone will be along to confirm :)

No Keri that's not right.

If you use any digital media to take photos - a digital camera, phone etc - regardless of what you do when you have taken them - you need to register with the ICO.

Hope that clarifies :D

keri
24-06-2012, 08:48 PM
No Keri that's not right.

If you use any digital media to take photos - a digital camera, phone etc - regardless of what you do when you have taken them - you need to register with the ICO.

Hope that clarifies :D

Thank you Sarah :thumbsup:

So EVERY childminder who takes a photo needs to register with ICO, is that right?

Thats another £35 that I hadn't budgeted for :blush:

sweets
24-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Yes legally you are supposed to register with them. but mamy minders choose not to.

i personally dont know anyone who is registered with them. We have never been.told to by our LA.

Rubybubbles
24-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes legally you are supposed to register with them. but mamy minders choose not to.

i personally dont know anyone who is registered with them. We have never been.told to by our LA.

i am and was told to do so:thumbsup:

Childrenatheart
24-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Following Data Protection requirements is now a MUST in the new EYFS so something inspectors may start to check on from September. As Sarah says, if you use any form of digital media to capture images of a child or if you store any kind of development records digitally it is a legal requirement to register as a data controller

lozzy23
24-06-2012, 10:08 PM
i am and was told to do so:thumbsup:

Me too:thumbsup:

TooEarlyForGin?
25-06-2012, 07:29 AM
I understand I have to do this, but can I ask why? What does the ICO do. What protection does it afford? If there is a data protection issue in what way do they help?

sarah707
25-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I understand I have to do this, but can I ask why?

Because ICO say so

What does the ICO do.

Helps us to stay within the law because we are processing digital data

What protection does it afford?

It can fine you if you lose data and haven't secured it properly.

It can also provide you with tips (on the website) about how to say legal, protect data etc.

If you have a problem with a parent and need info related to data protection you can ask them.

If there is a data protection issue in what way do they help?

As above

Hope this clarifies :D