PDA

View Full Version : Bum or Bottom... Belly or Tummy?

EmmaReed84
24-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I know everyone is different and prefers different words. I prefer May I, instead of Can I that is my biggest thing oh and silly insteady of stupid. Although I am not OTT about it IYSWIM.

I have a parent to can't stand Bum or Belly and prefers bottom and tummy, however I have one mindee who always says bum "hehehe Emma, I done bum burps hehehehe" lol... which isn't swearing, but the other mindees pick it up and use it lol...

It is not a big issue, just something I have noticed really. What are you/parents like about certain words?

md0u0131
24-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I think because I'm a Biologist by degree I prefer the more technical terms for things. I can cope with bottom and tummy but get irrationally annoyed when people use things like stomach when they mean abdomen!

Pipsqueak
24-06-2012, 02:44 PM
bum, belly, backside, botty, tummy, fart, pump, trump etc are acceptable words to me

:D:D

sweets
24-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I tend to use bottom but will occasionaly say bum. :laughing:

I do HATE it thought when a parent or minder says "come on lets change your bum"
It just sounds horrible! its a nappy you are changing not a bum!

I also really really hate dodie instead of dummy :D sorry but its sounds common :blush::blush:

eddie
24-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I have a parent who hates the word fart and says its akin to swearing. She prefers botty burp!? This is the woman who calls the girls bits 'fluff' - talk about confusing. I prefer the proper names and say fart deliberately :laughing:

karen m
24-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Cannot stand the word "dodie"

Pipsqueak
24-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I tend to use bottom but will occasionaly say bum. :laughing:

I do HATE it thought when a parent or minder says "come on lets change your bum"
It just sounds horrible! its a nappy you are changing not a bum!

I also really really hate dodie instead of dummy :D sorry but its sounds common :blush::blush:

ahh but the reference of 'dodie' is regional from what I can gather... its northern and I had never encountered it before I moved up north

wendywu
24-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I hate the word bum and will not use it. :D

blue bear
24-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I thought a dodie was a teat with a little ring thing at the bottom, it was used for putting gripe water in. Don't think you can get them any more.

sarah707
24-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't like 'belly' but as dd as a 'belly bar' and 2 children have a mum who is a vet and talks about animal 'bellies' and therefore her children have 'bellies'...

I am a bit outnumbered :rolleyes: :laughing: :D

Mouse
24-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I have one family who I think would faint if they heard the word fart. It's "windy pop" to them. I don't think they have bums or bellies either, never mind more private parts! A poo is having "gone to the toilet".

I tend to stick to bottom & tummy for their children. We don't even mention anything else!

Personally I find the word fart rude and don't use it. I think it goes back to my childhood when it just wasn't used - actually I don't think my family were ever allowed to do them :laughing: :blush: My own children use the word fart, but it makes me feel guilty when they do, as if I should be stopping them :o

fluff1975
24-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I love this discussion!!

I'm more a bottom and tummy person, but do use bum, usually with older children and often if I'm really needing them to do something. If they think it's a bit rude to say bum, then used with a bit of humour it usually does the trick!

I've worked all over the country and the regional variations of words are staggering. Dummy is the one that springs to mind; dodo, dee dee, dee, dodie, dum dum & plug!

I've heard horses as bob-horses and bobbo's and gee-gees.

Passing wind :blush:; fart, parp, pump, trump, puff-puff (yes, really) and botty burp.

My daughter's 5 year old friend told her that babies come out of your fanny!!!

My absolute bugbear, is when adults ask children 'what does a horse (for example) say?' It doesn't SAY anything!!! It neighs!

kel1983
24-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I hate doggie and horsie. My mum (cominder) is called Pat and one mum insists on saying to her little one Pat Pat. :angry:

I say tummmy and bottom and use silly not stupid. I dont like the children saying fart but not really hd a child that says it. They mostly call them bottom burps.

FussyElmo
24-06-2012, 06:56 PM
When people say Eng -er-land - i consider this a right royal pain in the ass sorry bum :laughing::laughing::laughing:

julie w
24-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I hate children saying fart, even though its not a swear word. If some parents hate a particular word I do ask other children not to use that word because the child of the parent may use it at home. I also hate children saying 'little ******'. Some adults say it to babies in a silly voice and I HATE it. But then we all have our own funny words and as long as its not really bad swearing I dont suppose it hurts too much.

hectors house
24-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I am a bit of a prude and say bottom, tummy, blown off or made a smell instead of fart and I think that children wear pants and ladies wear knickers. Oh god I sound like my mother!

keri
24-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't like fart either and I also hate children saying lie/lier I much prefer fib or fibber, lier sounds so harsh!!

I also never use the word stupid I always use silly!! :thumbsup:

bunyip
24-06-2012, 08:08 PM
One of my blood relations (or is that "relatives"?) claims to have traced our family's ancestry back to Anglo-Saxon stock. So perhaps I should claim my ethnic birthright to use the old Saxon word for "bum"/"bottom"?
You know, the one that rhymes with "farce."
:D

I'm fairly easy going about language, so long as people communicate without deliberately intending to offend.

The ones that are capable of annoying me from time to time are:-

Using the wrong word, where it changes the meaning of a sentence. eg. "I have less children than last week." No, you have fewer children; they are not, as you stated, of diminished importance.
Clumsy language, such as the modern trend of converting nouns into verbs, which resulted recently in me hearing, "I was texteding her yesterday."
Constant reference to children as "kids." No, they are children. I wouldn't refer to an older
person as an old goat, so I won't refer to a child as a baby goat.

RachelE
24-06-2012, 08:23 PM
LOl! This is funny!

I used to say bum, but my dh doesnt like it, so I've got used to bottom now.
Belly reminds me of a pig!

I am real prude and dh laughs as I still call my 'bits' - my front bottom! The boys have a willy and the girls a front bottom.

I really detest moo cow and baa lamb and pussy cat! - you are adding an extra word for a child to say.

We do say trump.

One parent doesnt like the word stupid - and we didnt say it with ds (10), but have slipped, but dont say it near mindees.

Rachel x

little chickee
24-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I am a bit of a prude and say bottom, tummy, blown off or made a smell instead of fart and I think that children wear pants and ladies wear knickers. Oh god I sound like my mother!

I don't mind and use tummy, belly, bum, bottom, fart, seems to depend on what mood im in.

For me boys and men wear pants, girls and women wear knickers!

I usaually say pee instead of wee and poop instead of poo.
My mum used to insist on wee and poo and seemed to think i was very wrong to say pee and poop! But then she was very old fashioned!

Playmate
24-06-2012, 09:06 PM
We have bumbles and tummies :D farts aren't talked about so therefore not an issue ;)

gegele
24-06-2012, 09:10 PM
i have just discovered that there were words more acceptable than others. I assumed that if the words were used by people working with children they were the right ones... us poor foreigners are mislead by the gap between the language english people use and the one that they expect to hear!!:laughing:

I change nappies 80% of the time and bums the other 20% LOL don't know what makes me chose.

i use to think that tummy was lower belly.:blush:

pants are for boys and knickers for girls, i was told by my 3yrs when i had her brother:D

girls have noonies and noys have doodies, willies or winckies.

:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
24-06-2012, 09:12 PM
One of my blood relations (or is that "relatives"?) claims to have traced our family's ancestry back to Anglo-Saxon stock. So perhaps I should claim my ethnic birthright to use the old Saxon word for "bum"/"bottom"?
You know, the one that rhymes with "farce."

I'm fairly easy going about language, so long as people communicate without deliberately intending to offend.

The ones that are capable of annoying me from time to time are:-

Using the wrong word, where it changes the meaning of a sentence. eg. "I have less children than last week." No, you have fewer children; they are not, as you stated, of diminished importance.
Clumsy language, such as the modern trend of converting nouns into verbs, which resulted recently in me hearing, "I was texteding her yesterday."
Constant reference to children as "kids." No, they are children. I wouldn't refer to an older
person as an old goat, so I won't refer to a child as a baby goat.

My goodness that would be phenomenal if your relative has managed to do that - many professional researchers have difficulty in tracing commoner families that far back - its normally nobility only that can have that privilage!

Now you'd hate me then, I do refer to children as kids and I think this is a throwback to my mum hating that reference! Mind you in refer to children as many other things too such as anklebiters, rugrats and various other terms!!! lol

ajs
24-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I use tummy, bottom and children I abhor the word kids and think it sounds horrible.

I have been known to say let's change your bum but it's usually to a little one not a child who can talk as I wouldn't want the children to say bum.

bunyip
25-06-2012, 06:25 AM
@Pipsqueak
O'course I don't hate you. I'm sure you're lovely. :littleangel:

I also share your skepticism about the Anglo-Saxon connection. Whatever my cousin claims, we take with a large pinch of salt. I'm half expecting his "research" will prove him to be heir to the throne by next Tuesday. ;)

bunyip
25-06-2012, 06:32 AM
The good news is that, according to my children's cente SLT, it's fine for children to use all sorts of made-up words, and they help early language development. They quickly move to the proper words when the time is right. They learn language so quickly that the problem is making sure they don't pick up the "bad words" too easily.

Problem comes when one child is using words that their family accept and another family doesn't. All you can say is: get used to it or you're going to have a breakdown when they start school and learn the playground vocabulary.:)

little chickee
25-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I very rarely say children - i always say kids, i think its friendlier.

My sister is a very well educated nursery school teacher and she says its perfectly acceptable to say choo choo train, moo cow etc. She says it helps kids learn the connection between the thing and the action!!!!

I'm all for kids learning the proper names for their private bits and peices but think if you have a freindlier term, winky, fluff etc they find it easier to talk about it ( if they have a problem " down there"!)

When my sister was pregnant with her twins she slipped off a climbing frame and badly bruised her lady garden and when in hospital the very matronly nurse entered the ward and said loudly " which one of you has the brusied froo froo?"

pinkellifun
25-06-2012, 10:16 AM
With my son, he has a winky and my sister told me that a girl should have a 'minky' (not had to explain this to my son yet although he knows girls don't have winkies but not sure what I will call it when the time comes :blush:)

I like calling them kids, just my own personal preference.

Girls wear knickers, boys wear pants.

I use tummy and bum most of the time, trump. I never use fart as I don't like the word.

I say silly inside of stupid.

Love this thread! :laughing:

x

Pipsqueak
25-06-2012, 10:19 AM
@Pipsqueak
O'course I don't hate you. I'm sure you're lovely. :littleangel:

I also share your skepticism about the Anglo-Saxon connection. Whatever my cousin claims, we take with a large pinch of salt. I'm half expecting his "research" will prove him to be heir to the throne by next Tuesday. ;)

lol -perhaps you are nobility - don't discount it...

we shall bow!

bunyip
25-06-2012, 03:51 PM
lol -perhaps you are nobility - don't discount it...

we shall bow!

Eeek!

The last thing I need when I'm trying to run the village's first ever anarcho-syndicalist childcare provision.
;)

EmmaReed84
09-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I just had to come back to this thread...

...Today mindee needed changing and I said "Come X let ne change your bottom" and my son said "Does his bottom come off? No... Well then... His nappy Mummy, you are changing his NAPPY!" This was my 3... turn 13 year old son:laughing:

I almost fell on the floor... just reminded me of this thread and what people said about changing lol...

dette
09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
well im northern and we have do-dees or goo goos( my sons word)we say bum and belly and girls wear knickers and boys wear undies or boxers .i dont like fart ...we use pump

zillervalley
09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
yep I am northern and say doe-dee or doe-doe

pump- bum-bum - tummy -

clareelizabeth1
10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
In terms of different names for dummy's my brother thorght it would be funny to call it titti now that the child is two and will go screaming down the street
yelling I want titti he's not finding it funny anymore.

As for other words like fart and bum, I think I have a problem with the way they are said more than the word that's used I am always amazed how the most inersent (sp?) words can be made vile by tone of voice.

PixiePetal
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I use tummy and bottom, but bum to my own older kids - or are they children :D
and I change nappies not bottoms (although with some of the yucky ones it would be preferable!)

I use the word dummy - never heard of dodie until I minded an Irish family, but I am a southerner so that may account for it

girls/women have knickers, boys/men have pants/boxers but I don't mind what they get called really. Mindee 3 calls them undies.

I don't use the word fart for mindees - it is wind or having a windy bottom. But my family can fart all they like :laughing:

I adapt for families - it is hard minding various LOs from different families who say different things - can't please them all, all of the time :rolleyes: I just try not to teach words which one family or another would not like

My DS called his a willy or his bits and bobs :laughing: He is 15 now and we no longer mention them!

melco
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I am the same I use the word Fart when its my children but with minded children its windy bottom or just wind.

What has annoyed me recently is my cousin. I am the childminder and she has a moan at me for the things I say in front of her children!!

A few weeks ago she moaned at me for saying "pain in the bum" (I was talking about my daughter) and she she said I should not say it around her children!! Its not like I said "Pain in the a**e!"

Then last week I received the call from Ofsted while she was with me and her daughter and my daughter and when I got off the phone I told her they were coming and she replied "Shall I come and knock on your door that day with a bottle of wine shouting come on then, lets get drunk!" (What an idiot) I replied saying "That I feel like I am about to throw up" and she hits me on the head!!! And says while covering her daughters ears "We don't say throw up we say puke!" I am sorry but I think puke is worse and then for her to say that to me after she has talked about getting drunk in front of my daughter and also hit me in front of my daughter!!

I am still annoyed about it as you can see and it happened over a week ago.

Sorry rant over. Oh and I say belly and bottom.

Thanks

melco

dette
11-07-2012, 06:43 PM
well i posted two days ago to say that i say belly ...today my 2 yr old mindee informed me that its not belly its tummy :) also the same mindee corrected me when i said we were going to school to collect "them stinky kids " as i refer to them :) He said they're not kids they're children and they're not stinky.....so thats me told :laughing:

EmmaReed84
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, parent who said she prefers tummy and bottom said...

BUM!!! :laughing: then quickly said Bottom... I did look down and smile to myself lol Bless her xxx

Rebecca Foster
12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
I have to be honest, i wouldnt like it if any of my mindees used the word Fart, But bottom, bum, belly, tummy is are all ok with me :)