PDA

View Full Version : The characteristics of effective learning - EYFS 2012

sarah707
24-06-2012, 02:02 PM
There are 3 characteristics of effective learning which help us to focus on and understand how children learn.

We will need to become familiar with them and reflect on how they can help us to support children’s learning and development by providing activities we know the children will enjoy.

The characteristics of effective learning are…

Playing and exploring - observing how children engage with their learning
• Finding out and exploring
• Using what they know in their play
• Being willing to have a go

Active learning - observing how children are motivated to learn
• Being involved and concentrating
• Keeping trying
• Enjoying and achieving what they set out to do

Creating and thinking critically - observing how children are thinking
• Having their own ideas
• Using what they already know to learn new things
• Choosing ways to do things and finding new ways

How will you use the characteristics in your provision?

First of all, dig out the Principles into Practice cards (the orange ones) from the current EYFS (2008) and read through them again. They will give you lots of ideas for ensuring you are ready to embrace the characteristics.

Then you need to decide how you will use the characteristics - they are quite long and cumbersome and might not be suited to being evidenced as part of your normal observations, assessments and planning process.

You might think that they will be most useful in the summary assessments you write about each child’s learning and development. Summary assessments might be useful every 3 - 6 months to note whether or not a child is progressing and to share achievements with parents - but they are not required by the EYFS (2012) and should only be written if you find them helpful.

You also need to think about how you intend to explain the characteristics of effective learning to parents and find out how their child learns at home… this will help to build parents understanding of the new EYFS, especially with the requirement that we support children’s learning at home through sharing information and ideas for activities etc.

To help you prepare your paperwork to embrace the Characteristics of Effective Learning, I have written the following e-books and mini e-books…

Characteristics of effective learning (e-book 59) - the characteristics of effective learning are a new element in the revised EYFS (2012). They look at how children learn rather than what children are learning… this new mini e-book will help you to unpick the requirement and show you how to use the characteristics in your day-to-day work with children.

**EDIT - After a lot of research I have found that the characteristics are more exciting than I first thought!

I have extended the mini e-book into a 60 page e-book! It is e-book 59 and I have priced it at £3.99.

If you have bought the original mini e-book I will be updating you by email in the next few days. :clapping:

Children’s learning styles (mini 74) - children learn using a variety of learning styles which are unique to them - by noting each child’s learning styles we will be better able to plan for their individual needs… by thinking about HOW as well as what they are learning.

E-book 32 ‘Schemas’ discusses how children’s repeated actions (learning styles) can be supported in various ways, mostly using the normal continuous provision resources all childminders already have in their provision.

I will introduce more new requirements from the EYFS (2012) and discuss how they can be used over the next few weeks as we think about how we can embrace the revised EYFS and make it work in our provisions :D

zippy
24-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi sarah, are you doing a package price if buying all 3.

The Juggler
24-06-2012, 07:35 PM
i thought this was really fab, when I came across it in the new EYFS document. I'm doing a presentation with our CC manager in July to our local CM's and have included a couple of slides on this too.

sarah707
24-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Oh crikey I hadn't thought about it... let me have a think! :D

zippy
24-06-2012, 08:00 PM
hehehe, like to keep you on your toes, I don't even know how much they are individually lol, seems like all three will probably be needed though, well by me anyway. :)

jumpinjen
24-06-2012, 08:43 PM
That sounds great Sarah, I'm really pleased that this is included in the new EYFS as I think it's so important - I have really enjoyed planning for schemas in the past and sharing with parents - I have to be honest though - I refuse to buy another e-book until I'm 'done' with the sef one!!!!! You know I'm working on it though:D

Jen x

jumping j
25-06-2012, 07:18 AM
thanks sarah these look really useful

sarah707
26-06-2012, 06:35 PM

I have had a reflect on your question zippy and I do not think it would be fair on those customers who have already bought the 3 e-books / mini e-books separately to reduce the price now and have them miss out.

To clarify a bit more what you are getting...

E-book 32 Schemas is 49 pages of schemas information including continuous provision ideas, planning, activity suggestions, ideas for explaining schemas to parents... and much more.

It costs only £3.99.

E-book 59 'Characteristics of effective early learning' - I have just updated it and it is now 60 pages of information about the 3 characteristics including ideas for activities and suggestions for noting children's characteristics and extending their interests.

It costs £3.99.

Mini e-book 74 'Children's Learning Styles' is a walk through of various learning styles you might spot in children's play and ways of organising your individual planning to ensure their needs are met.

All mini e-books are £1.99.

I have looked at comparative books and e-books that are available and none come close to mine in terms of price and detailed content so I do feel customers are getting good value for money when they buy from me.

If you have any more questions please let me know! :D

zippy
26-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Fair enough, didn't realise they were so cheap to be honest, should have looked first I'll definitely be getting all 3 anyway, have previously had your sef and policies ones which have proved very useful.

AgentTink
13-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi Sarah, just wanted to say thank you very much for the updated Characteristics of Learning book you emailed me last night. It was really well thought out and i was still up at 3am this morning reading it and taking notes.

Very much appreciated :clapping:

ajs
13-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Cel, in the basket ready to pay for when I get up. Christine e showed it to us on Monday and it looks fab ( as we'd expect from you really:p)

sarah707
13-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Cel, in the basket ready to pay for when I get up. Christine e showed it to us on Monday and it looks fab ( as we'd expect from you really:p)

I've updated it!! I finished it last night... it's 3 x as long now and better laid out.

I had a sudden flash of inspiration! :clapping:

ajs
13-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I've updated it!! I finished it last night... it's 3 x as long now and better laid out.

I had a sudden flash of inspiration! :clapping:

She emailed to tell us that you had updated it and so if we were going to buy it to buy it now.

If you get a sudden run of purchases it's thanks to her.:laughing:

sarah707
13-07-2012, 11:42 AM
She emailed to tell us that you had updated it and so if we were going to buy it to buy it now.

If you get a sudden run of purchases it's thanks to her.:laughing:

Aww that's lovely! Thank you for letting me know.

Christine (and your LA generally) has always been incredibly generous in her support of my writing right from day 1.

She is a brilliant ambassador for the importance of continuous professional development and self reflection too as evidenced when she got her outstanding :clapping:

I know it can be a pain sometimes reading a book or researching new things or going out to training but it really does pay dividends in the long run, helping you get to grips with the requirements and giving you a point of reference if you are ever unsure about things :D