PDA

View Full Version : applying for emergency variation over the phone

marnieb
24-06-2012, 09:09 AM
morning all,

some of you may remeber I posted about the local nursery which was shut down due to being 24 (!!!) children over their numbers. We have just had confimration that Ofsted is NOT letting them re-open.

I have had a 3yr old that used to go there on fridays for the last 6 weeks, now mum wants me to have her on Tuesdays as well, starting this week! :eek:

So I need to phone tomorrow and get a variation to let me have her on tuesdays as well. In the past I have filled in the paper form and sent it off no worries.

But if you apply over the phone, how much detail will they go into?? Will they just ask me the same questions/criteria from the form?? Be nice to have an idea of what they will ask!!!!!

Donkey
24-06-2012, 09:21 AM
hmmmm

you need to stress that this is indeed an emergency as Ofsted has shut the nursery down due to being over numbers and that its continuity of care as you have cared for this child for the past 6 weeks on a friday

stress that mum and child are heartbroken over the matter and that your providing a stability and there is NO ONE else who can look after this child and that mum has been warned by employer that she must go to work

:rolleyes:;)

Mouse
24-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I had an emergency variation granted over the phone recently. They asked pretty much the same questions as are on the form.

I'd filled in the form already, so had all the answers to hand. They asked what variation I wanted, ages of children in my care, hours I needed the variation for, an example of what our daily routine would be, how I had risk assessed for the extra child & how I could ensure all the children received adequate attention (or however it's worded on the form).

I talked them through our day, saying at each point that I had enough equipment eg. 9am out to toddler group. I have a double buggy for the two younger children and the other 2 children walk. 12noon lunch - sufficient child-sized seating for them all.
For the risk assessment I said I knew alll the children well, knew their capabilities etc. For emergency evacuation I would carry the baby out & the others would walk.

To be honest, they weren't really interested in what I actually said. They were more interested in the fact that I had clearly thought it through & knew what I was doing.

Your biggest hurdle will be convincing them that it is an emergency & getting put through to the right department. You might have to be insistent :p

rickysmiths
24-06-2012, 09:37 AM
I suggest you fill in the form online today, there is access to one in the free down loads on the forum. Submit it to the enquiries at email for Ofsted marked Very Urgent saying you will be phoning in the morning.

At least then when you get on the phone they will be able to access the paper copy.

I have had emergency variations over the phone. They update you details on line and you don't have to have the actual cert in hand to work.

marnieb
24-06-2012, 09:46 AM
thank you ladies!!

I had thought it might be the case to fill one in anyway, if at least for my own records!!

There goes my Sunday - I was only going to re-do my risk assesments, but it looks like that will be the easy bit!!!! :laughing: