PDA

View Full Version : Car seat arrangements?

Katiekoo
22-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi,
I have had an enquiry for a 7 year old girl after school. I am moving further from the school so would need to use the car. I have one car seat and a high back booster in the back and one high back booster in the front already, there is a middle seat with a full seat belt. I don't have experience of children of this age - I imagine a 7 yr old needs a booster base with a proper seat belt?
Is this correct and are these booster seats quite bulky would it fit in a space that another car seat wouldn't?
Oh dear so many questions!
Thanks

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 01:45 PM
have a look to see about the height/weight - car seat legislation.

Most 7yr olds will still need a booster (preferably a backed one with the shoulder seatbelt guide to keep it in proper position) yes.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

Katiekoo
22-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks, you're helping me a lot today :thumbsup:

AliceK
22-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I would imagine they would need to use a booster cushion seat. It goes on height, I have it measured out on one of my doors so I know who has to use one. Many don't use one with their parents :panic:. I can get a booster seat in the middle between 2 toddler seats but it is a bit of a squash to get the seat belts done up.

xxx

Katiekoo
22-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in height - The child MUST use the correct restraint, where seat belts are fitted. There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are - (1.blah 2.blah and)
3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

So legally if I couldn't fit another booster seat in I could let the child use the adult belt! I don't think I'd like to do that.

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in height - The child MUST use the correct restraint, where seat belts are fitted. There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are - (1.blah 2.blah and)
3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

So legally if I couldn't fit another booster seat in I could let the child use the adult belt! I don't think I'd like to do that.

I do this at the moment but I put my own child in the middle seat without a booster, he is nearly 7 but 1.31 metres tall. I'm happy to do this for the short distance involved but don't do it with mindees, they all have booster seats.

Katiekoo
22-06-2012, 03:56 PM
My own is nearly 4 so in a high back booster in the front. It's ok, I'll see if I can fit a booster in between the two seats in the back, if not it doesn't matter, just hoped I could help this potential customer.

funemnx
22-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I've only got a Peugot 106 and can fit 3 high backed boosters in - just. I do up the middle one first and then can wiggle the outside seats a bit to get them done up :thumbsup:

Tealady
22-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Mothercare do a cheap booster seat (no back) because it is cheap it is a bit slimmer. I use this with a seatbelt adjuster that ensures the seatbelt sits on the shoulder and doesn't cut across the childs throat.

Bluebell
22-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I was in Morrisons earlier and they've got booster seats for £5 as they sometimes sell kiddicare stuff