PDA

View Full Version : Answering the Door

AliceK
22-06-2012, 01:31 PM
:censored: I need to have a rant. 3 times in the last 2 days people have rang my doorbell and then when it wasn't answered within nanoseconds they ring it again. 2 of these times were parents who should know better and should know that with up to 7 children in the house including LO's who may be having a nappy change etc, I cannot always answer the door straight away and today was my landlord, who I shouted at very angrily through the door. Honestly, if it's not opened within about 30 seconds they ring again. I'm thinking of making a sign to put up but don't know what to say and wondering if it might be a safeguarding issue.
I am really getting cross about it :angry:

xxxx

sarah707
22-06-2012, 01:34 PM
We get that too - knocking on the window, ringing the doorbell, knocking on the window again...

They know I am busy if I don't answer straight away! I've told them often enough. :rolleyes:

I think it's because the world is so immediate nowadays so many people want everything to happen NOW!

Hugs xx

EmmaReed84
22-06-2012, 01:36 PM
"If I do not answer the door within a micro second it is possibly because I am out, busy or I just don't like you. Now :censored: off or wait!" lol

Or perhaps.

"*your busniess name* Registered Childminder
Please only ring the doorbell once as I may have children sleeping.
Thank you"

AliceK
22-06-2012, 01:41 PM
"If I do not answer the door within a micro second it is possibly because I am out, busy or I just don't like you. Now :censored: off or wait!" lol

Or perhaps.

Thank you"

:laughing: Right now that is what I would like to say.

I'm worried that if I advertise myself to all and sundry as a childminder would this be frowned upon as a safeguarding issue??

xxxx

Bridey
22-06-2012, 01:42 PM
I have a heavy door knocker and sometimes, when the children arrive I'll hear a faint tap on the door as they try to reach it themselves. Not sure if someone is there or not I'll walk towards the door to investigate as the parent reaches the door ... BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG - heart attack time!

AliceK
22-06-2012, 01:43 PM
We get that too - knocking on the window, ringing the doorbell, knocking on the window again...

They know I am busy if I don't answer straight away! I've told them often enough. :rolleyes:

I think it's because the world is so immediate nowadays so many people want everything to happen NOW!

Hugs xx

Oh do you get this too.
I have one set of parents who move from the front door, onto the front garden and look through my lounge window whilst they wait for me to answer :angry:. Why they do I do not know as for 95% of the day no children are allowed in that room so usually all they will see is an empty room. Really really annoys me. Keep your bleedin nose out.

xxxxx

EmmaReed84
22-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a heavy door knocker and sometimes, when the children arrive I'll hear a faint tap on the door as they try to reach it themselves. Not sure if someone is there or not I'll walk towards the door to investigate as the parent reaches the door ... BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG - heart attack time!

:laughing: :clapping: What is your address lol!

When I was a kid my Dad put a bell up... not a doorbell... Oh no... far to easy... but a BELL! As in a pub calling time bell... Ugh the amount of kids who would knock and run :angry: That used to make me jump all the time lol :panic:

mrs robbie williams
22-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Or perhaps.

Thank you"

I prefer the first one :D

Mouse
22-06-2012, 02:21 PM
All my parents are really good. They know if I don't come straight to the door I am usually changing a nappy - I tell them that if we are in the middle of a nappy change, no way am I going to leave it to answer the door!

It's my DH who is the pain! He'll be knocking at the door & shouting through the letterbox. You'd have thought that after all these years he would guess I am probably busy with a child :rolleyes:

Bridey
22-06-2012, 02:23 PM
It's my DH who is the pain! He'll be knocking at the door & shouting through the letterbox. You'd have thought that after all these years he would guess I am probably busy with a child :rolleyes:

Is he not allowed a key? :D

Mouse
22-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Is he not allowed a key? :D

No - I don't want him walking in just as & when he likes :laughing::laughing:

The door is locked from the inside with the key left in the lock, so even with his key he can't get in. I suppose I could start taking the key out, but that'smore hassle than having him hammering on the door :p

rickysmiths
22-06-2012, 03:39 PM

:laughing::laughing: I have one parent one day a week who come early and always does the above and wakes up the baby in the playroom it drives me mad. It is just so rude.

hectors house
22-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I have a door into my porch which is always unlocked, then my front door into the house - so I must admit to being naughty in that if I'm about to change a nappy and I know a parent is due to arrive, I unlock the front door so they can let themselves in, I sometimes unlock the door when we are reading a book waiting for parents to come - so they can sneak in and catch the children engrossed in the story, I know Ofsted wouldn't like it but the parents enjoy catching the children unawares.

To stop trades people constantly knowing on the door trying to sell me double glazing (although they can see the whole house is done), or gas or religion - I have printed off a sign from "Martin Lewis money saving expert" website saying something like "whatever you are selling I don't want it, so don't knock, just walk away and don't come back - to disregard this message is breaking the law". Put it up 2 weeks ago and no cold calls waking the kids up or disturbing lunch - it's great!

BucksCM
22-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Or perhaps.

Thank you"

I love the first one!!:D
If you don't want to advertise you're a cm then just leave the first line off.

I had to have a word with my postman...we have 2 doors, both with letterboxes, so really, he could use the first one...but he chooses to open the door and post through the inner door's letterbox and then knock on the door!! Thus alerting me that I have a parcel that he can't post through! I have asked him to just leave it in the porch, I'm in and out but do work from home. Please don't knock unless I need to sign for it!!

mushpea
22-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Lovin the first idea for the sign.:laughing:

i havd a parent who is impatient,, i have now taken to shouting at the door I'm comming in a rather loud voice then take ages to answer the door just cause I can :D :blush:
I am sure this job has turned me sadistic :laughing:
the worst was the parent who would arrive at 7.30 am 30mins early everyday then wonder why I didnt rush to answer the door and when it crept to 7.25am I refused to answer the door till 7.30am and took the batterys out of the door bell!

funemnx
22-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Lovin the first idea for the sign.:laughing:

i havd a parent who is impatient,, i have now taken to shouting at the door I'm comming in a rather loud voice then take ages to answer the door just cause I can :D :blush:
I am sure this job has turned me sadistic :laughing:
the worst was the parent who would arrive at 7.30 am 30mins early everyday then wonder why I didnt rush to answer the door and when it crept to 7.25am I refused to answer the door till 7.30am and took the batterys out of the door bell!

Lol! LOVE it! I should definately try that one! :D

My mindees parents knock AND ring!

WibbleWobble
22-06-2012, 07:20 PM
in the morning i sit and watch the tv news....i am waiting for mindees to arrive. They will walk past my window and wave to me....i wave back,

i get up and go to the door...and in that time they have rung the :censored: bell!!!!

YOU HAVE SEEN ME GETTING UP>>>>YOU KNOW I AM COMING>>>>>>IT IS 7.30am AND MY FAMILY ARE IN :censored: BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every morning....without fail!

rachelle
22-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I've got an outdoor post box thing instead of a letter box and my doorbell is hidden under the lid to this - parents know it's there but what they don't know is it has no batteries in :laughing::laughing:

They ring, I can see from the kitchen if anyone is there and let them in and they remain none the wiser! :clapping:

For collections we are normally in the front room and they knock on the window. No point in them doing this in the morning as I don't open the curtains until everyone is here. (we're in the kitchen, not sitting in the dark!)

Bluebell
22-06-2012, 09:12 PM
ha ha - I should do that for my bell! The worse is when I'm right in the middle of changing a nappy - can't exactly stop half way through!!

the neighbours kids are the worse though. My boys play out in the pedestrianized bit between the houses and the other kids are ALWAYS ringing for them No joke you say they're not coming out and 5 minutes later they come back! And I've been really clear about not coming round in the evening as once they've had their tea they have bath and stories and bed. They have been known to come round at nearly 9 o'clock - is it just me or shouldn't they all be indoors by then?!
2 of them came round the other day ringing and ringing the door bell - came and looked in my lounge and saw me so went back and held finger on buzzer. As I was in the middle of dealing with something with my kids who were in bed I was not best pleased!!

The Juggler
23-06-2012, 10:03 AM
my worst bugbear is when they knock and I walk immediately from the kitchen to the door by which time all 3 children have their faces pressed up against the glass peering as if to see 'where on earth I am'! :panic::panic:

its sooooo rude to peer through someone's window isn't it - or am I just oldfashioned :(

Later in the day if I'm busy I get my kids to just shout at the parents, Mum is coming in a minute:laughing:

caz3007
23-06-2012, 01:09 PM
my worst bugbear is when they knock and I walk immediately from the kitchen to the door by which time all 3 children have their faces pressed up against the glass peering as if to see 'where on earth I am'! :panic::panic:

its sooooo rude to peer through someone's window isn't it - or am I just oldfashioned :(

Later in the day if I'm busy I get my kids to just shout at the parents, Mum is coming in a minute:laughing:

My front is L shaped, so my playroom window is right next to the front door, and beceause anyone going to my neighbours has to walk within 3 feet of my floor to ceiling window we have nets up otherwise feel like I am in a goldfish bowl. In the holidays LO's dad sometimes collects from my house and he shades his eyes so he can see through the window, it does annoy me

blue bear
23-06-2012, 01:47 PM
When my lot are in bed I unplug the doorbell and just keep an eye though the window, parents press the bell non the wiser.
What bugs me is when they know it's school holidays and they think it fair that each of their little darlings should press the bell - that's why I started unplugging it.

Maza
23-06-2012, 08:06 PM
It's my bugbear as DD is frightened of the doorbell as it is a horrible shrill noise and she often plays right under it at pick up time as I'm there packing al the bags and putting them by the front door etc. I'm very upfront about it for her sake and always tell parents before their first visit to ring it VERY briefly and only once. They have all been fantastic but it is the bloomin' delivery men/women and postman who press it like their lives depend on it. It drives me mad and there is no point me telling them because it is usually a different one each time.