PDA

View Full Version : child sent home ill

danielle10392
22-06-2012, 12:56 PM
hello everyone ..

im not sure if ive done the correct thing ..

little one came this morning and mum said he was whingy and she wasnt sure if he was coming down with something. all morning he just wanted to lay on sofa and cry. i did his temp and it was 39.1 so i got in touch with mum and asked her to collect him. when she arrived she was very very stroppy with me and as i also look after her other little one she took her also (i told her she didnt have to) did i do the right thing?

thanks everyone :) x

Bridey
22-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes you did. The child was in distress. If he'd been playing or contentedly sat under a blanket watching tv then I wouldn't call mum but the fact he was poorly and crying and there was nothing you could do to console him means that he needs to be with mum.

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 01:46 PM
agree with Bridey

EmmaReed84
22-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, you did the right thing.

It is so hard I have been on both ends, as a parent being called to collect and as a CM calling a parent. Both situation suck! As a parent working I felt such pressure from the bosses, making comments... until in the end I ended up having a massive row with my manager. Now as a CM I have a parent whose job is very touch and go so I hate calling.

We have chatted about it previously and she knows how terrible I feel and knows I will only call if I have to, she is a lot better with me now about calling. Perhaps talk to Mum? Maybe she didn't mean to take it out on you...

Hope LO is better soon x

danielle10392
22-06-2012, 02:13 PM
thank u :) feels better knowing i did the right thing :) :) xxx

Bridey
22-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe contact mum tonight to see how he's doing and explain the reasons why you felt you needed to call and assure her it wasn't a decision you made lightly but you know it was the correct action to take considering his distress.

lisa1968
23-06-2012, 06:49 PM
My standard reply is ' The trouble is if I catch whatever little one has got then NOBODY gets childcare'.....it soon shuts them up!!

jumpinjen
23-06-2012, 06:57 PM
My standard reply is ' The trouble is if I catch whatever little one has got then NOBODY gets childcare'.....it soon shuts them up!!

I have spent the last 24 hours suffering from what LO came with after Mum and Dad didn't tell me she had been ill - nursery asked me about it when I took her there and it was too late by then - It has ruined my weekend and I just pray that my girls don't get it - my youngest has just had a really big opportunity to trial for a gymnastics team and she doesn't want to be getting a tummy bug to spoil it....... I ma testimony to why you did the right thing and they knew better than to bring her after she was ill as well.......:angry:

mushpea
23-06-2012, 07:22 PM
yes you did the right thing,, I had a child like this once and parent asked me to give them calpol which I did but still send them home,,mum was very annoyed with me saying child is fine now, but the calpol had masked the symptoms so we couldnt tell if the child was ill or not and I wasnt taking the risk,, that evening child was throwing up !
I have also had a parent complain that I would not collect her child from school when the teacher told me she had dioreah, she said the child was lying and that I should have taken her home yet it was the teacher who told me not the child , I told her I wouldnt risk spreading the diease yet she was adament I should have her , I no longer have this child, there were other reasons too but i will not have a sick child in my home nor will I keep a parent on who cannot accept my policies that she signed for !

sorry rant over :blush:

miffy
24-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Yes you did. The child was in distress. If he'd been playing or contentedly sat under a blanket watching tv then I wouldn't call mum but the fact he was poorly and crying and there was nothing you could do to console him means that he needs to be with mum.

Totally agree with this and if mum is honest with herself she knew that when she brought him :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

bunyip
24-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I absolutely agree with your course of action Danielle. I'd have done the same. Best place for a sick child is with their parents.

Mum probably knows this, but feels frustrated as she may be under pressure at work. The problem often lies with an employer, who has no regard for work-life balance. I suspect some employers still long for the bad old days when they could discriminate against women because of their 'family commitments.'

I also find school is exceptionally quick to send children home or to their CM. I had to pick up a little girl once, as parents couldn't be contacted, and the poor sausage had no idea why she wasn't in class. School has a nasty habit of calling me first, just because I'm more likely to answer. I've now taken to insisting that they contact the parents, as they should do in the first place. They apply a lot of pressure, so I've had to point out that (even disregarding my sickness policy) I'm not authorised to have them outside contracted hours, and do they have written authorisation to release them into my care during school hours?