PDA

View Full Version : childcare course advice needed

little stars ch
22-06-2012, 12:40 PM
am looking into gaining a level 2 and then onto a level 3 in childcare very soon but ive just phoned up one place and they said am best starting at a level 2 which is good by me but then ive phoned somewhere else who have said as a childminder they will start me at level 3 help which is best to do first i have no other childcare courses and want to better myself and the children i look after but dont want to waste money and also how much paper work is their in both level 2 and 3 :D

Helen79
22-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Not sure what the courses are like now but when I did my nvq 2, 7 years ago it was very basic stuff that would suit someone who has no experience with children. Things like how to change a nappy, why we wear gloves, how to make up a bottle etc.

I think for most cm'ers who've done the ICP course, safeguarding and 1st aid and have written their own policies, risk assessments and paperwork i'd say that starting at level 3 would be fine.

I'm doing the level 3 diploma now and there's not much difference in the amount of work involved to the level 2 i did, there's a similar amount of written paperwork and it hasn't taken me any longer to do. I haven't found the level 3 any harder than the level 2, it just looks at more in depth things like policies and regulations rather than the basic care of the children.

AliceK
22-06-2012, 04:35 PM
They tell everyone different. I was told I had to do my Level 2 before I could do Level 3. TBH I have found although the actual work is easy enough the time it takes to do it all I have struggled with. Mind you that could be my assessor who has been worse than useless.

xxx

The Juggler
22-06-2012, 04:48 PM
i wouldn't bother with level 2 hon, just go for your level 3 :thumbsup:

little stars ch
22-06-2012, 05:06 PM
thankyou no funding is in my area so looks like am footing the bill :( but am new and sure i have read that ofsted are wanting childminders at a level 3

blue bear
22-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Level two is aimed at those working under supervision, you should be doing a level three.

pinkbutterfly
22-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm doing CYPW level 3 diploma here http://www.parenta-training.com/courses/childcare-level-3/ It hasn't cot me a penny (except £12 I spent on a book on Amazon). They got the funding for me. I didn't have to do anything. They came to my home and filled all the paperwork with me. I had to do English and Maths test and a few weeks later I got a starter pack.

little stars ch
22-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm doing CYPW level 3 diploma here http://www.parenta-training.com/courses/childcare-level-3/ It hasn't cot me a penny (except £12 I spent on a book on Amazon). They got the funding for me. I didn't have to do anything. They came to my home and filled all the paperwork with me. I had to do English and Maths test and a few weeks later I got a starter pack.

hi i rang parenta and they dont come to my area :(

The Juggler
22-06-2012, 07:26 PM
try the childcare company too, they do online course, online work submissions with a few visits from your assessors