PDA

View Full Version : South african and chinese children

tulikraska
22-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello, any childminder who has s South african or Chinese child in setting? I thought it would be nice to let children speak in their own language on Skype. My girls are 3 and 4 years old.
:jump for joy::jump for joy:

md0u0131
22-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I have a girl who is half south African but she's only 18months and the family all use English as their main language anyway, so not much use really!

loocyloo
22-06-2012, 10:30 AM
i have a couple of Lo who are half south african, but again, they only speak english.

Zoomie
22-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I was born in SA, so speak a little bit of Afrikaans, but I was always useless at it.

We do have two SA childminders in my town and one of them is always heaving with SA children.

What are your parents thoughts about encouraging Afrikaans ?

Helen Dempster
22-06-2012, 05:15 PM
my little south african mindee has recently left me...however, he only spoke English! I often asked mum and dad if there were any SA words they could teach me that they used with him at home, but they said they didn't!

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want them speaking in a language that I couldn't understand!!! :blush:

tulikraska
26-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello, thank you for all the replies!
Both parents are from SA and they speak Afrikaans at home. I learnt a few words too and use them as I think it must be very nice for children to hear familiar words. This week we are having International food week and had Bobotie, rice and pumpkin fritter, followed by Peppermint crisp chocolate tart yesterday. It was delicious!! All parents got involved so we will also have Chinese dish, Italian dish, Jamaican dish and Czech dish :clapping: Can't wait to taste all the dishes :jump for joy:

Zoomie
26-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Peppermint crisp tart ....... ooooh never come across it, but I imagine it is yummy scrummy.

So glad it is summer now, so we can have braai's, pap and vleis (BBQs, pap is made from ground maize and vleis is meat, although boerie-vors is a popular ring type sausage)

When my LO and mindee were younger, they used to carry their dolls on their backs (tied on with a towel). Very traditional :thumbsup:

Bushpig
26-06-2012, 09:04 AM
As a SaffaBrit I make a fabulous bobotie if I may say so myself!!! :blush::)

Peppermint crisp tart mmmm

There are loads you can do ivo South African theme... Afrikaans is one aspect, but there is Zulu, Xhosa etc. A variety of cultures... SA has 11 official languages! Many Saffas are from English heritage (like myself), hence only speaking English at home.