PDA

View Full Version : Mindees and OH

EmmaReed84
22-06-2012, 08:34 AM
How is you OH when it comes to mindees?

DH is not a massive child person, he does like kids (some times lol) but he is not like me. Anyway I have two mindees here in the morning when DH leaves for work, DH will come in to the livingroom to say goodbye to our kids and give them a cuddle and a kiss.

Over the past few months mindee have been running up to him asking for a hug and kiss also. DH made a quick dash to the door because he felt weird... Today he actually gave them both a hug and a kiss along with our own children, now mindees seem to be over the moon lol.

DH said "Well I guess they are kinda family now" :clapping:

Mouse
22-06-2012, 08:41 AM
My husband high fives the mindees when he leaves for work and saves the kiss and cuddle for our own child. Everyone's happy :thumbsup:

Bridey
22-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I think men are so scared nowadays of going near other people's children due to worry about being accused of doing something inappropriate. I think it is such a shame :(

Tealady
22-06-2012, 08:43 AM
He might also feel it's inappropiate to hug and kiss the mindees.

My hubby felt this at first. He got around it by giving them an nickname and high fiving them instead.

mummyof3
22-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Mindee who has been with me full time for 2.5yrs always calls my DH daddy! He feels uncomfortable and corrects him all the time. Little one doesn't have a daddy so I think he sees him as a father figure. DH is fantastic with the children - some days he's better than me :blush:

FussyElmo
22-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Maybe its me but i dont expect my dh to kiss and cuddle the mindees. He is great at playing outside etc but thats as far as it goes. I think its hard enough on my children to have to share me but to have to share their precious daddy who is rarely here because of work :)

LOOPYLISA
22-06-2012, 09:53 AM
I think men are so scared nowadays of going near other people's children due to worry about being accused of doing something inappropriate. I think it is such a shame :(

Think your so right here :(

eddie
22-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Too true. My husband is very friendly with children - he comes from a large family and his mom fostered hundreds so he has always been with lots of kids. I sometimes have to remind him he can't just talk to random children but he is like a kid magnet, they just start chatting to him out of the blue! My mindees are always thrilled when they see he is off for the day and barge past me to get to him! :laughing:

caz3007
22-06-2012, 10:20 AM
my hubby would hug small ones if they wanted too and had been with us for a while.

He plays with them in the garden whilst I clear up after tea, I am in kitchen and can see, but it gives me a couple of mins downtime and he will pick them up and cuddle if they fall over and bring them to me. My little full timer actually likes him to do things for her, put her in the high chair, clean her up, she asks him to

loocyloo
22-06-2012, 10:28 AM
my DH is great with all the minded children. he gets home just before they go home and they love to tell him what they've done during the day. we were at a jubilee event and saw some mindees ... they were much more excited to see DH than me! :laughing:

ages ago i had a LO who was just starting to walk and DH used to walk her round and round round when he was there!!! in fact, i think seeing new walkers is what he loves best!

karen m
22-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I would not expect my OH to be giving mindees kisses and cuddles. He is fantastic at playing in the garden,indoors cutting out craft things ,helping with glue,we plant things together

clareelizabeth1
22-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Today my other half brorght me a cup of tea and stayed in the play room while I drank it he sat on the couch. 2 yo mindie got a book with animal in went and sat next to oh. He took oh hand and held on to it with one hand turned the pages of book with the other and told him all the sounds the animals make. It looked so sweet.
Although I think this mindie is his fave as mindie always says hello and bye to him whereas the others are too young to interact much, and the school children are well a bit snobbish if I'm honest.

EmmaReed84
22-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't expect DH to do anything, I have never encouraged DH to be anything other than himself around mindees. It is just the mindees kept saying "I have cuddle and kiss?" and DH would just pat them on the head and make a run for the door.

Mindees have done it every morning for ages now. Even our own kids say will say "Don't forget X and Y" DH does like the kids, and will talk to them and picks up the little one if she is crying and I am changing a bottom. He did laugh this morning and roll his eyes, but I guess he just thought oh well lol.

mama2three
22-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Mine avoids home at all costs whilst I have children here!

VeggieSausage
22-06-2012, 01:38 PM
my dh has nothing to do with mindees, he's not keen on doing stuff with other people's children.....wish he made it a bit easier for me though :(

mrs robbie williams
22-06-2012, 01:47 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

danielle10392
22-06-2012, 02:23 PM
my dh has nothing to do with mindees, he's not keen on doing stuff with other people's children.....wish he made it a bit easier for me though :(

i might sound a bit thick haha but what does dh mean? haha :laughing:

christine e
22-06-2012, 02:58 PM

darling husband!

christine e
22-06-2012, 03:01 PM

Here is a link to abbreviations
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38990&highlight=abbreviations

Have to admit I struggled a bit recently with PITA but eventually sussed it out!

blue bear
22-06-2012, 03:28 PM
My dh is hardly ever here when I'm working, we see him leave for work as we get back from the school run, he revs his engine (motorbike) extra loud as it excites the children.

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Put it this way my husband is on flexi hours but he still works til 5pm so he gets home just as the LOs are leaving!!! :blush:

caz3007
22-06-2012, 08:19 PM
My dh is hardly ever here when I'm working, we see him leave for work as we get back from the school run, he revs his engine (motorbike) extra loud as it excites the children.

OMG I have one that would go into meltdown. She didnt like it when my DS visited and parked his motorbike outside the front window, she kept asking me if he was going to make it make a noise cos she is scared :)

migimoo
22-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Lol-mine's the same,if i have LO's here when he gets in at 6 he goes and has a shower and watches tv in the bedroom till they've gone!
He does like kids just like a lot of men isn't too keen on babies,prefers LO's he can interact with more easily.

He IS always telling me and everyone else how proud he is of me and what a great childminder i am tho so i'll let him off ;)

Oh-and on the rare occasion he's asked to carry a child for me (helping me to car with 2 non walkers,etc) then he picks them up under their armpits facing away from him and literally carries them to me at full arms length like they're gonna explode-i think this is due to the sad fact that men nowadays may feel uncomfortable holding a child that's not their own close...such a shame as my full timer thinks he's the bees knees (he has an endless biscuit supply that he lets her share!):laughing:

~Grasshopper~
23-06-2012, 07:19 AM
haha exploding children lol.

my dp does try to avoid them, my 8 yr old mindee is far too over friendly and almost sits on his knee. it really makes us both uncomfortable so he stays in our bedroom when she is here.

he finishes work at 1pm on fridays though and it still annoys me that he doesnt help with our children, because im working its my job to sort the kids out even ours:rolleyes:.
x

stargazer1
23-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Lol-mine's the same,if i have LO's here when he gets in at 6 he goes and has a shower and watches tv in the bedroom till they've gone!

Mine is exactly the same!:laughing:

singingcactus
23-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I was a nanny when I met my other half, and then as soon as we married our home was registered. He has been around all my little guys for the last 20 years. If he was ever uncomfortable about anything he has long since got over it. He plays with the playful ones, leaves alone those who want to be left alone, bullies the ones who enjoy it (which is most of them), sits them on his bike, has cushion fights, growls at them, chases them, tells them no, comforts them, advises them, helps them and he does it all intuitively. He is like an uncle to the kids and the kids are like nephews, with the occasional niece, to him. None of our siblings have had kids so this is the closest we get to being aunty and uncle.

Some mornings, when he is off work, it is easier for him to just come on the school run with us than it is for him to go through the goodbye routine.

lozzy23
23-06-2012, 11:04 AM
He plays with the playful ones, leaves alone those who want to be left alone, bullies the ones who enjoy it (which is most of them), sits them on his bike, has cushion fights, growls at them, chases them, tells them no, comforts them, advises them, helps them and he does it all intuitively.

This is exactly like my DH, except the bike- if he had one though he would!. He has days off and works from home once or twice a week. I have a 3yr old LO who loves to leg hug as she walks by, my DH will just give her a squeeze around her shoulders and off she goes again. Now my 16 year old DS is a different matter, he will just pat her on the head and scarper:D

loocyloo
23-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I was a nanny when I met my other half, and then as soon as we married our home was registered. He has been around all my little guys for the last 20 years. If he was ever uncomfortable about anything he has long since got over it. He plays with the playful ones, leaves alone those who want to be left alone, bullies the ones who enjoy it (which is most of them), sits them on his bike, has cushion fights, growls at them, chases them, tells them no, comforts them, advises them, helps them and he does it all intuitively. He is like an uncle to the kids and the kids are like nephews, with the occasional niece, to him. None of our siblings have had kids so this is the closest we get to being aunty and uncle.

Some mornings, when he is off work, it is easier for him to just come on the school run with us than it is for him to go through the goodbye routine.

:D i was a nanny when i met DH ... he told me he didn't like children ... i wasn't sure how long we'd last! he really didn't want to meet the children i was looking after at the time. 5 months later i started a new job with a baby girl and he was smitten: hook line & sinker! :laughing: we've been together 21 years now and he has always been part of the childrens lives.