View Full Version : ed milaband on daybreak

debratina
22-06-2012, 06:15 AM
watching daybreak again lol
and ed milaband said he has a british childminder
did anyone else know this ?

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 06:20 AM
nope - why did he say he had a 'British' cm? That's odd - we're in Britain so aren't we all British cm's? Sounds like the parlance MP's use when they want to empathise with a group of people before they stick it to them LOL:p

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 06:22 AM
He originally mentioned childminders in the context of migrant workers coming over here....

polish builders
swedish childminders...... (think he told his fantasy on live tv)

and then he twittered on about

his British Childminder WORKING FOR him....

prat......

miffy
22-06-2012, 06:24 AM
and then he twittered on about

his British Childminder WORKING FOR him....

prat......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 06:29 AM
http://www.edmiliband.org/

to to his website and put him right about childminders and ask that he supports the e-petition by way of an apolgy:D

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Here is my message:D

Hi, have seen some of your recent comments about child minders - I am a child minder and would like to point out that we do not work FOR our clients, we are self employed and as such have a contract with parents but work for OURSELVES. Perhaps you could lend your support to our campaign to prevent the deregulation of child minders which will cause so mauch damage to an important profession and lower standards of care and safeguarding for children like yours! Regards,

Jen

miffy
22-06-2012, 06:41 AM
http://www.edmiliband.org/

to to his website and put him right about childminders and ask that he supports the e-petition by way of an apolgy:D

I have emailed him, sent him the link and asked him to take up the campaign with Government.

Will see if I get a reply!

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Apparently his brother is supporting the cause so i am told.

Obviously they are not sharing the information eh!!!!

lets all send him the link

:D (doncha think this smilie looks like him!)

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I have emailed as well as follows

Childminder?

I understand you have a childminder who works for you. I find this strange because childminders are self employed and work from their own homes.

Maybe you mean you have a Nanny? Nannies usually work in your home and are employed by you.

Totally different careers.

Childminders have to be registered by Ofsted, and follow the Early Years Foundation Stage. Nannies do not.

Please could you check you facts and issue a statement that makes it clear if you employ a nanny - or if you use the services of a self employed Ofsted Registered childminder.

It is vital that you and all other MP's understand the difference between a nanny and a registered childminder because at the moment there is a lot of debate going on about the future regulation of childminders.

Registered childminders are not nannies and they are not baby sitters - they are professional early years practitioners..

Suggest you look at NCMA's website www.************* and the petition that has been set up to urge the government to consult with practising childminders - who actual understand the job they do - before making any changes to regulations Childminder?

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

Will he bother?

Penny :)

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 07:17 AM
oooh you scare me Penny ... so calm, so nicely put!
:D

miffy
22-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Oh Penny - you put it all so politely :thumbsup: Afraid mine was much more of a rant :blush:

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I have emailed as well as follows

Childminder?

I understand you have a childminder who works for you. I find this strange because childminders are self employed and work from their own homes.

Maybe you mean you have a Nanny? Nannies usually work in your home and are employed by you.

Totally different careers.

Childminders have to be registered by Ofsted, and follow the Early Years Foundation Stage. Nannies do not.

Please could you check you facts and issue a statement that makes it clear if you employ a nanny - or if you use the services of a self employed Ofsted Registered childminder.

It is vital that you and all other MP's understand the difference between a nanny and a registered childminder because at the moment there is a lot of debate going on about the future regulation of childminders.

Registered childminders are not nannies and they are not baby sitters - they are professional early years practitioners..

Suggest you look at NCMA's website www.************* and the petition that has been set up to urge the government to consult with practising childminders - who actual understand the job they do - before making any changes to regulations Childminder?

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

Will he bother?

Penny would it be worth contacting the The Huffington Post on the Internet (newpaper) and asking them to do a story on the e-petition/childminders/campaign????

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Ahh

That will be the LA training :D

Not only in my early days did I have a manager who checked just about everything I wrote - and not just for my terrible spelling and typo's - but was constantly scribbled in pen all over my work ' YOU CAN'T SAY THAT'

I also had some network childminders who told me in no uncertain terms 'YOU CAN't SAY THAT' (Didn't they Carol M? - Carol once wrote a letter of complaint about something I wrote - and she was right - I was out of order!)

So that is why I am now (usually) very polite:thumbsup:

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Penny would it be worth contacting the The Huffington Post on the Internet (newpaper) and asking them to do a story on the e-petition/childminders/campaign????

Will have a go Pip - and will send to Childcare Journal as well (might not be till lunch time (nap time) though

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 07:37 AM
can you get yourself on daybreak Penny and give it large on behalf of cm's?

Jen:D

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 07:49 AM
can you get yourself on daybreak Penny and give it large on behalf of cm's?

Jen:D

How does one do that Jen?

angeldelight
22-06-2012, 08:00 AM
How does one do that Jen?

They were up the road from me yesterday wanting to film and interview my daughters nursery,had we have known you could have turned up unexpected and let them interview YOU instead Penny :laughing:

Angel xx

watgem
22-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I wish Penny could come and talk to my DO and the childminders in my locality:)

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 11:45 AM
I wish Penny could come and talk to my DO and the childminders in my locality:)

Get me into a meeting watgem - and I will :thumbsup:

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.itv.com/daybreak/contactus/

like this Penny!!:D

Penny1959
22-06-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.itv.com/daybreak/contactus/

like this Penny!!:D

Have contacted them - as below

In recent weeks there has been a lot of media coverage about childminding - and some of it not 100% factual

There is Sir Micheal Wilshaws comments about registered childminders, the cost of regulation and if registered childminders deliver the EYFS effectively. He did not even understand that registered childminders are only inspected every 3 to 4 years or that we are not checked every time we take on a new child. And the remarks about the EYFS were insulting to all those registered childminders who have gain good and outstandinmg grades from Ofsted.

There is the suggestion by MP Elizabeth Truss about using agency models from other countries, and / or allowing registered childminders to be able to care for more children, and /or complete deregulation

There is David Cameron suggesting that schools should open until 8pm - when in fact there is not enough demand to justify the costs of opening the schools this late (not to mention the impact on family life and most importantly the children) - when in fact there are registered childminders in most communitiers that provide a childminding service beyond the 'normal' office hours.

And there is Ed Miliband saying he has a childminder who works for him - a complete nonsense as registered childminders are self employed - maybe he means he has a nanny?

This is such an important issue as we know that the future of registered childminding is being debated at the moment and that decission will be made about changes that could have fatr reaching consequenses.

I worry that with MP's and the public still not being really sure what a childminder is or what a childminder does that decission will be made on rumour and hearsy rather than on facts.

Which is why I and some collegues have set up a petition http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders in which we urge the government to consult with other including actual practising registered childminders before making any changes.

I would love the opportunity to discuss these points and to explain just what it is that registered childminders do and why it is vital that childminders remain regulated and continue to have individual inspections.

debratina
22-06-2012, 12:35 PM
wow Penny that a brilliant email
hope you get the chance to air a childminder point of view across to the nation
debra x

Carol M
22-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Fantastic email Penny, you have my approval :D
Carol xx
p.s wasn't really a letter of complaint, just an arguement as to your content. We live and learn eh?

WFeather
22-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Can I applaud him for stating he has a childminder, have you noted that many who have signed petitions are Labour members as well - we all know how it works when in opposition - but the fact is they have more or less joined sides with us. Thank you for that. All I got back from my MP were quotes (many I had actually given him as a negative).
I am a home childcarer, childminder for 21+ years, gained a degree in Early Years to support my children; due to family circumstances my minded family and my own, spoke with Ofsted about circumstances and I decided to work from the single parents home. I don't see my job as any different from what I was before, I am responsible for everything and everyone just as before. I still do my paperwork, attend training and keep up to date with EYFS, member of NCMA and Alliance. I chose to be registered, and retain my registration - only the name changed. Titles shouldn't mean - I'm still firmly behind home childcare, it's important, very important and I will contradict those who say it isn't. We support and develop characters, not clones!

watgem
22-06-2012, 02:41 PM
bless you Penny:) :):)

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I might become a daybreak convert if you get on there Penny!!!! Brilliant!

JCrakers
22-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Can I applaud him for stating he has a childminder, have you noted that many who have signed petitions are Labour members as well - we all know how it works when in opposition - but the fact is they have more or less joined sides with us. Thank you for that. All I got back from my MP were quotes (many I had actually given him as a negative).
I am a home childcarer, childminder for 21+ years, gained a degree in Early Years to support my children; due to family circumstances my minded family and my own, spoke with Ofsted about circumstances and I decided to work from the single parents home. I don't see my job as any different from what I was before, I am responsible for everything and everyone just as before. I still do my paperwork, attend training and keep up to date with EYFS, member of NCMA and Alliance. I chose to be registered, and retain my registration - only the name changed. Titles shouldn't mean - I'm still firmly behind home childcare, it's important, very important and I will contradict those who say it isn't. We support and develop characters, not clones!

I might take that as my new business name...I like it

'developing characters not clones' :D got a certain ring to it

Maza
22-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Come on now, own up, which one of you childminds Ed's kids? Is he a PITA?

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 06:23 PM

:laughing::laughing: It's me. i confess - you should hear what then children say about him :blush:

jumpinjen
22-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I might take that as my new business name...I like it

'developing characters not clones' :D got a certain ring to it

love it - with a kind of space agey pic to go with it!

Pipsqueak
22-06-2012, 10:26 PM

I don't mind his kids but I found some in the pub... anyone lost some kids recently :D