PDA

View Full Version : advice to potential CM

Helen Dempster
21-06-2012, 10:21 AM
A lady approached me at the school last week, asking if I was a CM and that she was thinking of becoming one. I gave her a bit of advice, what she needs to have in place before she starts etc. She was shocked and said she didn't realise there was so much involved. Anyway, I invited her round to mine to see how I have the house laid out for the job and to show her relevant paperwork....well, I think I almost blew her brain! She just couldn't believe all the paperwork we have to do (and I didn't show her everything!) I did say to her that come September, hopefully there won't be as much. She's gone away to have a think about it.

Need more people like her to actually educate people what we as childminders DO I think. She was in total awe.

Pipsqueak
21-06-2012, 11:12 AM
and that is the crux of it isn't it - people don't understand what we 'do' in reality - beyond 'watching' kiddies.

This is where - in my eyes- NCMA our representative body, is failing us! The message - whatever that is - is just not getting out there is it. The government haven't a clue - many in childcare don't understand us either so what hope the public!!

Good for you for enlightening her!:clapping:

LittleLegsCM
21-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I thought about doing this a little while ago! "friends" made a few comments that I had it easy cos I didn't have to go out to work and that I could just spend all my time playing! I bet if more people saw the 'back office' work, they would be completely shocked and probably bow down to us!!

caz3007
21-06-2012, 11:24 AM
and that is the crux of it isn't it - people don't understand what we 'do' in reality - beyond 'watching' kiddies.

This is where - in my eyes- NCMA our representative body, is failing us! The message - whatever that is - is just not getting out there is it. The government haven't a clue - many in childcare don't understand us either so what hope the public!!

Good for you for enlightening her!:clapping:

I had a friend who was a nursery manager and when EYFS came in, I remember her asking if I was still doing my babysitting :angry: I explained to her that we were also doing the EYFS courses etc and having to do the same as nurseries but alone. She shut up then. Left the nursery after that and did mention to me the other day that she couldnt never work with small children again as she didnt like them :eek:

JCrakers
21-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I get this a lot which I why I never feel fully professional when I go out. :blush:
In most peoples eyes we are babysitters.

I'm not part of the NCMA and wont pay the fee because I don't think they do enough to promote us. If they did we would be ranked higher and I wouldn't have parents approach me n the playground for babysitting.

melco
21-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I feel the same.

A friend of mine was trying to decide whether to put her children in a Nursery or Childminder, when she mentioned this to her mum and even though her mum knows I am a childminder told my friend that she should not use a childminder because all they do is sit around having tea and watch This Morning!!

After I explained all the things we do and told her to tell that to her Mother I felt a bit sorry for my friend!! Ooops