PDA

View Full Version : 1 hour TTO - is it worth it?

MrsP2C
20-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I've had an enquiry from a lady with 2 children looking for just 1 hour l term time only - drop off at 8am, breakfast & then take them to school. They go to the same school as my DC1 so I'd be walking there anyway & are 9 & 10 so it wouldn't interfere with up my numbers. But, my own children are younger and I'm not sure what (if much at all) I'd do with them and whether for the sake of a tenner or thereabouts, whether it's worth the expense of breakfast & hassle.
Any thoughts?

MrsP2C

Bridey
20-06-2012, 04:00 PM
How many days a week?

Ask them to provide their own breakfast and then you don't have to worry about the expense or what to give them.

MrsP2C
20-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Sorry it's every day terms time which was another point of my hesitation!

rickysmiths
20-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyone who arrives at mine 8am or later has to have had breakfast. Fot an hour a day its £200 quid a month yes.

caz3007
20-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I have one twice a week that arrives at 7.30 and school opens at 8.30 but it is the same school my son goes to. I charge an enhanced hourly rate as supply breakfast and she is fine with it.

Bridey
20-06-2012, 04:33 PM
For £50 a week its easy money. I normally insist that they are fed before 8am but in this case they could supply their own breakfast and eating it would kill some of the hour quite nicely. They are old enough to clear the table when they have finished. Wash hands, brush teeth, quick reading time and then shoes on and off you all go! :thumbsup:

MrsP2C
20-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Hmm enhanced rate or charging extra for breakfast would work & whilst £10 doesn't sound much, £50 a week / £200 a month is definitely worth it. To be honest we don't normally have our breakfast until 8:15 & I'm gradually bringing this forward to 8am as I will need a bit more time with extras, but I think I'd rather they joined us at the table then at least it passes the time & we can chat or finish homework etc.

Ooooh this could be my first formal booking - now just got to hope I'm registered in time :eek:

funemnx
20-06-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd do it, as said previously it adds up nicely plus you might get the children for the odd full day, inset days etc... :thumbsup:

When I had a 9/10 year old just before school, she was happy to draw/play with the little ones. By the time they've had breakfast, it'll be time to go!

blue bear
20-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I have two sibling one hour after school once a week tto,if parents need it and I can accommodate I will do short hours, I have other children who fit around it .

mushpea
20-06-2012, 05:58 PM
am i right in thinking you dont need to registered if you are looking after over 8s for less then 2hours a day? if so then it wont matter if you not registered in time, on the other hand you could ring ofsted and tell them you have work waiting and ask if theres anyway they could speed your registration through.

loocyloo
20-06-2012, 06:20 PM
if you are going to school anyway, then i would do it.

as others have said, by the time breakfast is over, it will be time to go to school! charge a slightly higher fee to include breakfast ( usually cereal/porridge , milk (or sometimes juice) to drink and toast in my house. most are happy with cereal & a drink. )

and it could lead to some holiday/inset/afterschool care.

BucksCM
20-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I have a family of 2 boys who now come to me at 7.50 and we leave for school at 8.30, 3 days a week. They do come in the hols for 3 days 8-3, but having sat and worked out, they have quite a few off...perhaps only come 1/2 of the 13 weeks!! I am seriously looking at the pay/hours and thinking about it...but as RS said, although £30 a week sounds small, add it up and it's still £120 a month and the holiday weeks are £240....aarrghh!!
As a previous poster said, you could always charge a slightly enhanced fee?
And they don't coun't in your numbers:thumbsup:

Daftbat
21-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Its regular work and you are going to school anyway so its "money for old rope" really and def worth it. All these little bits soon add up!!:D

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I charge £6.50 for B4 school which would be £13 for 2 :thumbsup:

Mine come at 8 but most days it ends up being 8.15, we leave at 8.30 so it's toast, bags and car then off we go!

My son is school age so they usually play together or watch some TV if ever there is enough time. I've just gradually reduced my little ones to concentrate on B4 and After School as I find it much easier.

Also, none of my mindees would be worth the money individually, it's all about lots of small pennies making pounds ;) it all adds up especially when you get more children.

The Juggler
22-06-2012, 05:02 PM
i have 2 siblings (ex-mindees) I've just taken back on. they arrive at 0815 as we leave for school, I drop them off at 0900. I've reduced my normal hourly rate as they are not even in the house from £5/hour each to £8 for both but it's £120/month= I'd be stupid to turn that down.

I too would refuse to do breakfast unless they arrive before 0800.:thumbsup: