PDA

View Full Version : Want to give my setting a name - what are the rules?

hectors house
20-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi

I see on the forum that lots of you have named your childminding business.

How would I go about doing this, do I need to tell Ofsted or would I still be registered under my own name like Mrs J Blogs Trading as "whatever"

Actually want to use my forum name "Hector's House" - as I have a dog called Hector and he pretty much rules this house! but as it used to be name of TV programme (way back in time - when I was small), would I be able to use name for advertising due to copyright? Even though I would probably use a picture of my own dog - or would this put non dog lovers off - he is a very cute spaniel x bassett.

Do people find that giving your business a name makes you easier to remember and puts you on an equal footing as nurseries?

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Bridey
20-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I love dogs and I am sure yours is lovely but I personally think it would confuse people as to the service you are offering and maybe put people off if you use a picture of him as your logo. I would connect the picture more with a dog sitting service and not many people know of Hector's House anymore - loved it myself! Its a great name for your business though.

I don't have a business name as I've been doing this a long time and everyone in my little town knows me by my christian name but I do have a logo on all my advertising and stationery. It does look nice and professional :)

sprinkles
20-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Not sure how it works in England as I'm in Scotland but I asked SCSWIS the same question and she said I would need to register my service as that name or I would be under one name on their site and another for my own advertising and people won't realise it's the same setting/business.

I'm not registered yet though so was told to speak to my inspector about it at my pre reg visit and decide then whether I want to name it or just go as my own name.

rickysmiths
20-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I have never informed Ofsted of my 'Business' name. My own name is on my registration and I wouldn't want it changed because that is how I am registered self employed. I do use my business name on some sites and it has never caused confusion.

Bridey
20-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I do use my business name on some sites and it has never caused confusion.

Hmm, I may give that some thought. There are some sites I'd like to maybe consider advertising on in the future but was put off due to the fact I didn't fancy having my own name splattered all over the internet.

Bluebell
20-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I don't know if it causes confusion is the answer!! But no requirement to register as a business name with Ofsted as you will always be registered on your certificate under your name whatever you chose to call yourself.

I use my business name when advertising and the logo stands out. I used posters with a bluelion on and had those magnetic things you put on cars with the intention of getting signwriting when I upgraded my car.

I am not allowed to use my business name on the local devon family information service - I have to be under my own name as that is what I am registered as but they put my business name after it in brackets.
The local childminder list which is available at schools and childrens centre is a list of childminder names too not business names.

I wanted it to make me stand out as all other childminders in area are well known by name. I think it must work because a couple of the other childminders now have names and have sign-written their cars.

If people recommend me they refer to me as Jules or Juliet - they do not refer to me as 'blue lion'! but I do not think it causes confusion

On my website I put about me and who I am so its clear that blue lion is my business and I am a singular person who is a chlidminder iyswim

hectors house
22-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you for your replies - I did think that if I put a picture of my dog it may make people think I am offering a grooming service, so may just find a child's drawing of a house instead.

I did do a search on internet and found a nursery in Scotland, called Hectors House but they were part of Bright Horizons, so used their logo anyway.

Blue Lion - I love your website, I would love to have something like that, hope you don't mind me having a peek.

Bluebell
22-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks so much - of course I don't mind you having a peek! I did it myself but used a templated website that I would recommend - wix - its free and you can use their images or upload your own. then you just fill in what you want to say about yourself.
If you go on vista print there is a business card design that you can use that has a child's drawing on it of a house. It might do until you can get your own design or give you an idea of what you want to create.