PDA

View Full Version : 7 children under 8??

cupcake mummy
19-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has been granted a variation by Ofsted to look after seven children under the age of 8? I know some childminders get variations about under 5's or two under 12 months but does anyone have registration allowing them to have 7 children under 8 for before and/or after school? Everywhere I have checked seems to suggest that 6 under 8 is the maximum but I have been asked to look after a sibling of a school child I already mind who starts school in September. I would only have two children under 5 at that time as one of my little ones goes home before 3pm, the rest are school children and it's only 1 day per week term time only between 8 and 9 am then 3.30 and 5pm. It would only be for a few months as mum is at Uni and finishes in May 2013 - what do you think my chances are of getting a variation from Ofsted? Don't want to tell mum that it's ok when I'm not sure that it is but don't want to lose the family either - any help or advice please.

Thanks

Tracey

miffy
19-06-2012, 01:41 PM
The EYFS is quite clear that the maximum number of children under eight that can be cared for is 6.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
19-06-2012, 01:42 PM
I would say never if they are working on their own. You would need an assistant.

You would also need to bear in mind that if you exceed the 6 under 8s rule if working with a co minder or assistant you may need to apply for planning permission from your local Planning Dept for change of use of you Domestic house to a business premises. This is an entirely local thing and nothing to do with Ofsted so they won't advise you about it. The process costs approx £350-400 and can take up to 3 months to go through.

You need to work out if it is financially viable for one child for such few hours.

tammys-tots
20-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has been granted a variation by Ofsted to look after seven children under the age of 8? I know some childminders get variations about under 5's or two under 12 months but does anyone have registration allowing them to have 7 children under 8 for before and/or after school? Everywhere I have checked seems to suggest that 6 under 8 is the maximum but I have been asked to look after a sibling of a school child I already mind who starts school in September. I would only have two children under 5 at that time as one of my little ones goes home before 3pm, the rest are school children and it's only 1 day per week term time only between 8 and 9 am then 3.30 and 5pm. It would only be for a few months as mum is at Uni and finishes in May 2013 - what do you think my chances are of getting a variation from Ofsted? Don't want to tell mum that it's ok when I'm not sure that it is but don't want to lose the family either - any help or advice please.

Thanks

Tracey

I thought if it was a sibling you would be allowed to, i would ring Ofsted.

christine e
20-06-2012, 08:20 AM
No you cannot increase the 6 under 8 if you are working alone.

Cx

boxtree7
20-06-2012, 08:25 AM
i was allowed a variation on Monday & Tuesday for 2 nursery aged children for 1 hour every monday and tuesday. One child went to morning nursery and the other went to afternoon. I do work with an assistant.

loocyloo
20-06-2012, 08:38 AM
if you work on your own, then 6 under 8 is the law. and stands, even if some of the under 8's are your own and are at school/other minders etc.

i had many a talk with variations people when i would be over for 1/2hr once a week :( even the variations chap agreed it was madness ... as my DS was going to be 8, 4 weeks later!

but no way! the only suggestion was to get an assistant! which i did, thankfully, as suddenly every child wanted that afternoon afterschool :laughing: