PDA

View Full Version : Nutbrown review

Smiley
19-06-2012, 11:47 AM
I have just received this link
http://www.education.gov.uk/nutbrownreview

Penny1959
19-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Ploughing my way through it - so far agree with what she is saying - although do wonder how a cm who goes on to have QTS would manage large numbers of 3 and 4 year olds in a family home.

Nutbrown is suggesting that all practitioners should have a level 3 by 2022 including cms.

Still reading - may take some time!

Penny :)

cockatoos
19-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I've just had a good read and on the whole it seems pretty reasonable. She sounds like someone who really knows the sector and has spoken to a lot of people who work in Early Years. As someone who is (hopefully!) just about to start EYPS in September, its very interesting to read about her recommendation that from EYPS, there should be a further pathway to get to QTS.

Her suggestions about ratios are interesting. I feel that there should be a distinction between over 3s and under 3s in the ratios. From my experience, I feel that I can look after 3 children under 3 no problem, but I would struggle with more. However, children over 3 are a different matter, and I think that our ratios should be able to account for this, especially if the child in question is at playgroup for some of the day (ie wrap around care for a 3 year old).

Not sure how they will implement all childminders having Level 3 qualifications - is that before you start childminding, or perhaps you just have to be enrolled on it when you start. Obviously a cost implication to it for childminders, and might put off some people from starting (or indeed continuing).

Sorry to waffle on! Amy

miffy
19-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the link - might save that for my bedtime reading! :D

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
19-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I've just had a good read and on the whole it seems pretty reasonable. She sounds like someone who really knows the sector and has spoken to a lot of people who work in Early Years. As someone who is (hopefully!) just about to start EYPS in September, its very interesting to read about her recommendation that from EYPS, there should be a further pathway to get to QTS.

Her suggestions about ratios are interesting. I feel that there should be a distinction between over 3s and under 3s in the ratios. From my experience, I feel that I can look after 3 children under 3 no problem, but I would struggle with more. However, children over 3 are a different matter, and I think that our ratios should be able to account for this, especially if the child in question is at playgroup for some of the day (ie wrap around care for a 3 year old).

Not sure how they will implement all childminders having Level 3 qualifications - is that before you start childminding, or perhaps you just have to be enrolled on it when you start. Obviously a cost implication to it for childminders, and might put off some people from starting (or indeed continuing).

Sorry to waffle on! Amy

Originally we were all supposed to have a Level 3 by 2010!! I think they have realised that it is impossible to insist that all existing cm's have it because it would be like asking all Ofsted Inspectors who don't have a degree to go and get one because it is now a requirement that new inspectors are graduates.

To make it a condition of registration is entirely reasonable because people know what they are getting into before they start. It would then be a start up expense and yes that might put some people off but is that a bad thing? Many more young people will have degrees than my generation did so completing another 'A' Level won't be a problem for them will it?