PDA

View Full Version : so if the new eyfs says

mushpea
19-06-2012, 08:31 AM
children have to be outside everyday (I am sure I have read this somwhere on here) then what happens when they come on a hot and sunny day with no hat and cream, does this mean we now need a disclamer stating we will not be held responsible if children get sun burnt!
and what happens in the winter when they come withoug appropriate clothing are we suppose to let them freeze or does this mean we have to pay out for extra gloves hats etc and then have to store them somewhere?

EmmaReed84
19-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Children are outside EVERYDAY.... When they leave the car to come to your house ;)

On a serious note, hasn't that always been the rule?

mindingmummy
19-06-2012, 08:44 AM
The discussion I had with my NCA contact was that they have to have an 'outdoor experience' each day. This is preferably actual playing, but the walk to school counts as you could be talking about shapes, colours, bugs etc on the way.

Im not sure what we are supposed to do without hats, but I always have my own bottle of sun-cream just in case the parents forget theirs. :)

mindingmummy
19-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Children are outside EVERYDAY.... When they leave the car to come to your house ;)

On a serious note, hasn't that always been the rule?

Haha!

Yes im sure its always been the rule :)

rickysmiths
19-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I have signed permission to use my suncream if they come without and I have a supply of hats as well.

As for coats I send a parent home with the child if they arrive without suitable warm or waterproof clothing they only forget once :laughing:

mushpea
19-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I am very outdoorsy with my lot anyway and at the moment the children I have ususaly bring the stuff they need but today on the hottest day of the week so far the ususaly organized parent has forgotten hat and cream the dilema is do I send the child out in the sun and hope they dont get to burnt or do I let them outside but make them stay in the shade or do I say tuff you have to stay indoors although this really isnt an option if we go out and about. I dont supply cream as I dont see why I should pay out for it when parents are more than able to supply it however i do have spare hats whichh they can use as these come from the dressing up box!
They are outside at the moment as I am assuming she is creamed up by the parents before she arrived as parents have signed to say they will do this .
I just think ofsted havent looked at the bigger picture, how can we safe guard children against the cold or sun burn if they are meant to be outside every day yet come without the appropriate clothing!

EmmaReed84
19-06-2012, 08:55 AM
TBH, I think this is where common sense comes in to it. If you feel that a child is at risk, they why not let them out in the morning and get them in for the afternoon for some activities.

I know what you are saying about supplying cream, but I always have cream for my family and I don't mind using a bit on mindees if I really need to, which I have had to to once or twice, but then mentioned to Mum on collection to remember sun cream.

Mouse
19-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I keep sun cream, sun hats, winter hats and gloves here. I even have some rain coats.

I'd rather know I had everything here than rely on parents to remember it all. I don't want to miss out on taking all the children outside just because one hasn't come with the right things.

mushpea
19-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I know what you are saying about supplying cream, but I always have cream for my family and I don't mind using a bit on mindees if I really need to, which I have had to to once or twice, but then mentioned to Mum on collection to remember sun cream.

this is fine but what happens if a child then has a allergic reaction to the cream you put on? do you have permision for a particular named cream?
I ask because my son has excema and comes up in a severe itchy rash if he has a different cream put on him and I would hate to do this to another child.
as for outside either mornings or afternoons thats not really an option as activities I do are done outside, I like the children to be outside a lot of the time and most of mine prefer the outside anyway.
My point was that ofsted havent really though this through in my opinion.

sarah707
19-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I just think ofsted havent looked at the bigger picture, how can we safe guard children against the cold or sun burn if they are meant to be outside every day yet come without the appropriate clothing!

I completely agree!

I have spares of everything including rain coats... and pretty good parents who remember to bring clothes, cream etc.

But it doesn't stop me worrying about the children who refuse to stay under cover in intense heat or the ones who take their hats off all the time or the ones who dash in and out forgetting to wear hats, coats etc in their enthusiasm for play or the ones who have hand eczema and ask for water play in winter or on windy days...

And then of course there are the children who gather by the playroom door looking dejected and begging to go back inside. The EYFS hasn't really thought about them has it?

Especially alongside the new requirement to keep children in our sight and / or hearing at all times... so we can't let them in and the others stay out unless we have worked out a way of splitting ourselves in half! :rolleyes:

Compromise is usually the way forward :D

~Grasshopper~
19-06-2012, 10:47 AM
sarah thats exactly what happens to me every day. i have 1 mindee aged 23mths who hates it outside and just keeps going inside. i end up sitting on the door step trying to watch everyone inside and out. its a good job my house is small lol

x

caz3007
19-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I am still having a problem with the child and the flies, now she isnt happy outside even if we are out in the buggy its happening, but will work with it. I am taking her outside and encouraging her to be out there, but if she is unhappy, meeting her needs right now is to stay indoors. I suppose in the winter we wont have the same problem but our garden becomes a slippery nightmare :eek: and if I fall and have an accident, thats not helping anyone, is it

The Juggler
19-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I have signed permission to use my suncream if they come without and I have a supply of hats as well.

As for coats I send a parent home with the child if they arrive without suitable warm or waterproof clothing they only forget once :laughing:

I'm the same. I have permissions, spares and if they come without something essential that I don't have i.e. shoes or winter coat in winter, the parent will be sent home for it.:thumbsup:

hectors house
19-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote Sarah 707 "Especially alongside the new requirement to keep children in our sight and / or hearing at all times... so we can't let them in and the others stay out unless we have worked out a way of splitting ourselves in half! "

I have never let children play outside in the garden on their own, all out everyone out, or all in everyone in, but I decided after attending a new EYFS training session last week that if I open my dining room patio doors and sit at the table doing an activity with child who doesn't want to stay outside, I can see and hear children in garden and if I move through sliding doors to lounge I can still hear children - so obviously I won't let toddlers out if I'm not there to supervise big slide or won't let any children out on their own if a paddling pool is up but I thought it sounded as though it was more relaxed now with the "or hearing" part.

That's how I interpreted training any way - or have I misunderstood?