PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you suffer with back problems or shoulder problems?

kellyb
18-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I fell down my very steep stairs 18 months ago in the middle of the night from top to bottom, I was half asleep, had gotten up to go downstairs to get some tablets for stomach ache, and ended up with a lot more aching! Luckily I didnt do too much damage as I was half asleep, I had put my dressing gown on so slid down some of the steps and thudded down the last few. Luckily also with it being weekend my boyfriend was with me... I went for a few physio sessions and my back seemed to sort itself out, I was very lucky!

Anyway, I keep pulling it, I think through lifting up the little ones.

I have done a manual handling course etc, and know how to pick them up properly, but I wondered if it was something that many of you suffer with? I don't have any children of my own but have been minding now for 7.5 years and was at a nursery for 2 years before that. I am 30 now and don't want to be for the knackers yard just yet! lol I just wondered if theres any thing any of you do to prevent bad backs, or to try and help the situation if you do have a bad back? Obviously with looking after little ones for nearly 10 years, I am and have picked up /carried children for that amount of time, so its a lot of pressure on your shoulders and back.

I struggle with two frozen shoulders too.. I do go for monthly massages from one of my little ones mums who has her own business. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do, so wanted to pick your brains

Many thanks : )

sweets
18-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I can sympathise with on on frozen shoulders :( im on my second, had one a about 3 years back which hurt but the one ive got now has been hideous, had loads of physio and 2 cortisone jabs over the last few months. The painfull stage has finally passed but movement isnt great so having surgery next week to release it!

Ive been on handling courses too, they are good but i know i dont always lift littlies properly, its not always pratical to do so!

kellyb
18-06-2012, 09:42 PM
I can sympathise with on on frozen shoulders :( im on my second, had one a about 3 years back which hurt but the one ive got now has been hideous, had loads of physio and 2 cortisone jabs over the last few months. The painfull stage has finally passed but movement isnt great so having surgery next week to release it!

Ive been on handling courses too, they are good but i know i dont always lift littlies properly, its not always pratical to do so!

Awww bless you! What we put ourselves through hey!!

Hope the surgery helps : )

sweets
18-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Ouch to falling down the stairs :eek: its one of my dreads, as i have narrow steep stairs in my house and encourage children to come down on their bottoms! always tempted to do it myself too! lol

i think being knackered is a hazard of the job ;)

JCrakers
18-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I've had a bad back since 13 and have learnt to manage it by not sitting on the floor. I have to have a chair because if I sit for more than 5 mins on the floor I suffer for days.

I also don't pick up,the children unless I have to. I always get down to them.

Mummits
19-06-2012, 05:48 AM
I sympathise but don't really have any suggestions! I pulled my left shoulder about six months ago, I think leaning over too far to put a child in a car seat. It's taken ages to get better and now i've got the same on the other side. I've resolved to be more patient and wait for those who are big enough to do so to clamber into their own seats rather than lifting them in, but it does take a bit longer in the morning. I also try to sit down with them and let them sit on my lap rather than automatically picking them up when they want my attention.

suzyblue
19-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Ive sufferred with a bad back all of my adult life, I had an op which helped for about a year but the only thing that has helped completely is doing Pilates. I also had a bad shoulder and had physio which didnt help. Pilates has helped with both issues and of course keeps me trim and flexible. I thoroughly recommend it but its not a short term fix. I stopped Pilates for a while and my back and shoulder pain came back. I went to a private consultant and he also suggested doing Pilates.

hectors house
19-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Sweets - Good luck with your surgery, I had manipulation and capsular release surgery on my frozen shoulder end of Feb, and wish I had had it done the year before when it was offered - I had lived on pain killers for 2 years, had lots of injections and spent a fortune on private physio.

After your surgery if you can afford a few sessions of private physio (I put mine through accounts as an expense) well worth it as I found the NHS physio seemed to have a hands off approach and just sent me away with a sheet of exercises (which it turned out were inappropriate for my shoulder!)

I have suffered with neck and back problems since I had my own children 26 years ago - my chiropractor (I've got a private one of those too, oseopath and physio!!) says a woman is only meant to push a buggy and lift children into carseats, highchairs etc for a couple of years, not 26 years - but I know my posture is very poor, I have tried pilates but couldn't get the breathing right - so sometimes go to a core stability class which uses a big swiss ball, I have a ball at home now and if I have backache at end of day, I make myself sit on it to watch tv and that helps.

I find swimming helps me know that I have accepted that I need to wear goggles and put my face in the water, otherwise you put extra pressure on your neck.

Hope everyone has a pain free Tuesday - just going to hang washing on line now - managed to badly sprain all muscles in lower back hanging dusters on line last August - could have bought new dusters for the rest of my life without washing dirty ones with the £120 it cost me at chiropractor!

kellyb
19-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Wowzers it's not just me then!! I feel all of your pain! Hope you all have a good afternoon & thanks for replying to me xx

sweets
19-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Hectors house i have pm'd you :thumbsup:

who on earth washes dusters :laughing: life is far too short for that :D

Ive also been told that my posture is bad and i should do pilates so going to give it a try when recovered from the op.

cockatoos
19-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I managed to hurt my back after about 2 weeks of childminding after lifting too much. I had to have lots of osteopathy to get it back to normal and now do pilates which I would really recommend.

I find if I really think carefully about everything I do eg lifting, getting children out of car seats etc I'm ok. I have to make sure that I don't twist my back at all when I lift - the worst thing for it.

My local authority does a manual handling course for early years so I think I'm going to do that to get more hints.

Amy

loocyloo
19-06-2012, 04:51 PM
i've had lower back ache on and off for years ... 25 yrs of being with children! i try and carry carefully, put in the car/buggy/pushchair safely, but sometimes i forget and then i have a twinge for a few days!

i think its part & parcel of the job!

i keep looking for a local pilates class, but they are all daytime round here! :rolleyes:

blue bear
19-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I pulled my shoulder liftin a child with special needs years ago and it's never been right since. The physio says I've managed to curve my back carrying children on the same hip since I was nine and I should try to carry them on the other side but it never feels right somehow.
I have steps for the children to get themselves into the car so I don't keep lifting them but nothing you can do when it's a little baby.

Pain killers army best friends, don't thinking ever have a totally pain free day, just sort of get used to it.

Dragonfly
19-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I have back problems too.Started last year pushing a heavy double buggy(bags balanced on it as well as two children in it 2+ years both of them) I felt a pain in the lower back suddenly. I had to walk bent over for 2 days, couldnt get up if I sat down had to gradually inch forward to edge of the chair and try to push myself up, quick movements and i was screaming. went on for about 3 weeks.

now I suffer if I lay on my back more than 10 minutes or so (in bed of course) and some days it just generally aches and more so if I have been sitting down for a long time ie watching a film hard to get up:I didnt realise back ache could be so bad:( been a childminder for 18 years and have worked with children over 30 so guess its the job?

kindredspirits
19-06-2012, 06:28 PM
i have back and shoulder problems and i am only 26. :( started when my DS was born and my shoulder locked up rocking him to sleep every night.
i know mine is caused mainly by poor posture but i really struggle with remembering to keep my back straight!! :rolleyes:

kellyb
19-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I pulled my shoulder liftin a child with special needs years ago and it's never been right since. The physio says I've managed to curve my back carrying children on the same hip since I was nine and I should try to carry them on the other side but it never feels right somehow.
I have steps for the children to get themselves into the car so I don't keep lifting them but nothing you can do when it's a little baby.

Pain killers army best friends, don't thinking ever have a totally pain free day, just sort of get used to it.

I have a terribly curved back too and really noticed it when I was maid of honour for my friend last month, the photos look awful when we are stood diagonally to the camera and my back looks horrific : ( its not good is it : (