PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

lulubelle
18-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I currently mind a little boy who was 3 in jan (41 months ish) His speach is fine around mum,dad, nanny, me and my hubby etc) but when i take him to toddler groups, trampolining lessons etc he will not say a word to anyone so everyone thinks he doesnt talk!

He is showing little to no interest in potty training.

Is much happier playing alone than with others, tho does have a good bond with his older sister (7) and my ds (2)

i dont really have any experience with any special needs or anything, something is niggling me that something is 'not quite right' but i cant put my finger on it! Mum was saying this morning that she is getting quite concerned that he is falling behind.

Helen79
18-06-2012, 04:10 PM
He sounds exactly like my ds at that age. He never stopped talking at home but never said a word to anyone else at toddler group or nursery. He's 4 1/2 now and will now talk to the staff at nursery but it's taken a long time for his confidence to grow.

He didn't play with anyone else at nursery but was inseperable from his big sister at home and they did everything together.

He also didn't potty train until after he was 3 1/2.

I think if he's happy to talk to you and parents and will play with other children when he's with your ds and his sister then I would just put it down to being shy rather than anything else.

Pipsqueak
18-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I currently mind a little boy who was 3 in jan (41 months ish) His speach is fine around mum,dad, nanny, me and my hubby etc) but when i take him to toddler groups, trampolining lessons etc he will not say a word to anyone so everyone thinks he doesnt talk!

He is showing little to no interest in potty training.

Is much happier playing alone than with others, tho does have a good bond with his older sister (7) and my ds (2)

i dont really have any experience with any special needs or anything, something is niggling me that something is 'not quite right' but i cant put my finger on it! Mum was saying this morning that she is getting quite concerned that he is falling behind.

If he is talking properly with familiar adults and other children then thats a tick... you just need to work on social skills... but in saying that we are not all social butterflies now are we!

re the potty training -that will happen when it happens - no biggie

playing alone - again pretty normal for this age - its around now they start becoming interested in other people and will parallel play more gradually increasing co-operative play.

what is it that is niggling you? what specifics?

could you just be a little concerned about what you have described and couple that with mums concerns be worried you aren't 'spotting' something you think you should be as a professional childcarer?

falling behind - this is where his LJ comes in and your observations and seeing where he is on the guidance of development matters. yes if he is significantly behind on ALL areas and I mean more than 1 phase across all areas but if you really focus your obs and see what he can do I bet you will be surprised

so get those obs going, look at your development matters and start charting things to allay yours and mums worries.:D
nothing in what you have said concerns or rings bells with me - he sounds like a reserved little chap that is all

Bridey
18-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I've minded a little girl for the last 4 years. She wouldn't talk to anyone for the first year. There was nothing wrong with her - she just refused - all is fine now.

I also have had her sister the same time. She's now 10 years old. She took 3 years to talk to me but she's Aspergers. Again this was a choice thing - she's perfectly able to talk - even stood up in assembly!

Both these children were happy to talk at home!

Maybe its me!! :rolleyes:

lulubelle
18-06-2012, 04:47 PM
i dont know whats niggling me really, i just feel like i am missing something, yet other days all seems fine! i have done lots of observations etc and not noticed anything specific, i will keep watching and see what i pick up, saying that mum is at uni so he leaves me on wed until october!!!

miffy
18-06-2012, 04:53 PM
If he's leaving you on Wednesday and mum is worried then suggest she sees the HV or GP to discuss her concerns.

Miffy xx