PDA

View Full Version : Urgent need recommendation of book about ...

Spangles
07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I urgently need a recommendation about a book I can buy for my 3 year old.

His dad is going away soon for 6 months to Iraq with the army and I know that this time it's going to hit him very hard because of his age so I would like to start to prepare him now by maybe having a couple of books about a parent perhaps going away, missing child and coming back or something along those lines.

I don't want to worry him yet by telling him that Darren's going away but just gently introduce it by books so when the time comes to tell him it might be a bit easier for him if you see what I mean.

I'm really desperate to get a couple of books about this ASAP so any recommendations would be so gratefully received! I've asked at the library and they couldn't help me!

Thank you.

crazybones
07-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Just googled and came up with this Dont know if its any use to you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6965657.stm

Spangles
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Thank you Annie, that's really lovely of you.

I'd not thought of getting Darren to record any stories for him while he's away, I'll suggest this to him, I think they'd both enjoy it.

Thank you again, it was lovely of you to google for us.

x

crazybones
07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
You are welcome. Couldnt see any books though. :(

breezy
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
try this there seem to be afew, then you might find them cheaper on Amazon

www.nmfa.org/site/PageServer?pagename=books_for_children

Spangles
07-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Thank you Breezy, you're a star!

breezy
07-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Thank you Breezy, you're a star!

no prob, glad to help :)

Spangles
07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
There are some fantastic books on there Breezy that are perfect but they cost an absolute fortune to get over here, I think they're all american and I can't find any british ones!

I'm getting really angry now!

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to buy a couple and pay through the nose for them!

Spangles
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I've found a couple of them in Waterstones!!!!! Woohooo!!!

Yeeha! Woopeeeeee! Yahoooooo!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

crazybones
07-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Surely you cant be the only person that needs books like this. :mad: There must be something somewhere. If not maybe you could import loads and make a fortune selling them to others in the same position.

crazybones
07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
OOOps posted too late. :rolleyes:

Spangles
07-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey that's a good idea Annie!

I could import a few put leaflets up in the coffe shop and Hive and see if I can sell some!

He he!

I'm so relieved to find some! I went on the army families site and there's nothing on there!

Could be a loophole in the UK children's book market - maybe I could write one and get it published - now there's a thought!

breezy
07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
There are some fantastic books on there Breezy that are perfect but they cost an absolute fortune to get over here, I think they're all american and I can't find any british ones!

I'm getting really angry now!

If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to buy a couple and pay through the nose for them!

thought maybe you could get them via amazon.co.uk cant believe this type of book so hard to get, what did you manage to get at waterstones?

crazybones
07-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey that's a good idea Annie!

I could import a few put leaflets up in the coffe shop and Hive and see if I can sell some!

He he!

I'm so relieved to find some! I went on the army families site and there's nothing on there!

Could be a loophole in the UK children's book market - maybe I could write one and get it published - now there's a thought!

Get Sarah to help you. You could make a fortune. Obviously you will thank me in the front of the book. :laughing:

Spangles
07-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, we would obviously acknowledge you in the front!

I have ordered 'Daddy's in Iraq but I want him back' and also 'Daddy is a Soldier'.

They look quite good - not sure if the first one mentions fighting, if so, I'll just talk about something else on those pages - make something up like I do when a book is too long before bedtime! Ha ha!

They're both out of stock at the moment but they've placed orders with the publishers so hopefully they'll come through!

Thanks again, I wouldn't have found this information without you both, I was completely drawing a blank!

breezy
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Hope they come through quickly, glad you got it sorted, my fee is in the post!:laughing:

crazybones
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
:thumbsup: If they are out of stock then there is definitely a market for you for write one.

sarah707
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I think it's dreadful that nothing has been written on the subject...

Poor you as well, with hubby away for so long...

At least you've got us! :D

littletreasures
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I think you should write one for the British children. There are so many of them missing their daddies (or mummies) while they are in Iraq or elsewhere.

I am sure there must be a demand.

Hope the books you ordered come quickly.

There is a book that I love called "Daddy, will you miss me?" by Wendy McCormick. It is not about a Daddy going to Iraq, but going on a business trip and sending kisses across the ocean.

littletreasures

fishbones1
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Hope your books turn out to be what you wanted, and hope the 6 months will go quickly for you.

I would definately write a book about it, maybe from your son's point of view! I always wantd to write a book, but have to write a dissertation at the moment that is bad enough.:)

MissTinkerbell
22-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I'd definitely write the book - I'd be a customer - I dread the day DH comes home and says he's off out there.

Spangles
22-07-2008, 06:14 PM
The books I ordered from Waterstones are nowhere to be seen yet so I might have to!