PDA

View Full Version : Free milk V buying it yourself

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't understand why there is this type of company around or how using one would benefit me

Are there any advantages to using one of the 'free milk' companies as opposed to claiming the cost through my accounts?

hectors house
18-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I find it handy to have 3 pints of milk on my doorstep Wed & Friday mornings - although the company I am with (Scotts ) have just rung to say they will only be delivering on a Friday now - not very happy as will have 6 x 1 pints taking up room in my fridge all weekend, when I want to fill it up with my weekly shopping - would prefer it twice a week. I obviously still get milk delivered from a separate milkman that comes on a Tues & Thursday that is for my families use.

I did initially opt for the small cartons with a straw but found the children made such a mess squeezing the box when they picked it up - I was for ever giving them a longer straw so they didn't need to pick up. Now have plastic pint containers.

Saves time on accounts as I don't have to write anything down, all I have to do is notify the milk company if I am on holiday or haven't got as many kids.

Daftbat
18-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I have tried using the free milk companies before and found it nothing but a nightmare. One company - Scotts kept sending me my full entitlement as if I was permanently full and I was overloaded with milk and the possibility of being charged in the future if I was audited so I cancelled.

I just include it in my food allowances in my accounts. Less hassle.

~Grasshopper~
18-06-2012, 12:30 PM
i have just started with cool milk. i get a 2lt bottle on a monday morning which suits me as it saves me buying so much and messing around claiming money back. It also means i dont ahve to buy as much milk. i go through about 16litres of cravendale a week :rolleyes:

x

Katiekoo
18-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I also use cool milk - it's great, it gets delivered to my door for free plus I get our family milk delivered too. I don't have to fill out any forms and apart from a call to tell them how many children in each session I have, it is totally hassle free. :thumbsup:

AliceK
18-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I find it handy to have 3 pints of milk on my doorstep Wed & Friday mornings - although the company I am with (Scotts ) have just rung to say they will only be delivering on a Friday now - not very happy as will have 6 x 1 pints taking up room in my fridge all weekend, when I want to fill it up with my weekly shopping - would prefer it twice a week. I obviously still get milk delivered from a separate milkman that comes on a Tues & Thursday that is for my families use.

I did initially opt for the small cartons with a straw but found the children made such a mess squeezing the box when they picked it up - I was for ever giving them a longer straw so they didn't need to pick up. Now have plastic pint containers.

Saves time on accounts as I don't have to write anything down, all I have to do is notify the milk company if I am on holiday or haven't got as many kids.

They phoned me last week too. Up until now they have delivered 6 pints to me on a Friday, which I hated but as of next week it's changing to a Weds. Much better :thumbsup:

xxx

Mouse
18-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I claim mine back through the NMRU website. Once you've set it up it's really easy to do.

It means I know exactly what is being claimed for against my name, so should there ever be an audit I can prove I claimed the right amount. I also know that I am claiming back what the milk actually cost me.

I often wondered how these companies made their money & I read a report saying that some are claiming back a huge amount per pint of milk. Eg. If they put in a claim saying they have charged a cm or nursery £1 a pint, they will get that much back, although it wouldn't have actually cost them that much for the milk. Some may be claiming back a hugely inflated price. It's one of the reasons the free milk scheme costs such a huge amount & was in danger of being cancelled. There's nothing technically wrong in what they're doing, but the milk scheme wasn't set up for companies to profit from.

Has anyone who uses a company ever asked how much is being claimed on their behalf?