PDA

View Full Version : Sports day

stargazer1
18-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi all, it's my daughters sports day at school today. I have two mindees also today, have spoken to their mums and both are fine with me taking them to sports day to watch. Is this ok?? Even tho mums have agreed, just had a panic that it may be frowned upon to drag mindees to my dds sports day?

VINASOL
18-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi all, it's my daughters sports day at school today. I have two mindees also today, have spoken to their mums and both are fine with me taking them to sports day to watch. Is this ok?? Even tho mums have agreed, just had a panic that it may be frowned upon to drag mindees to my dds sports day?

I'm the same I'm afraid. On both my children's sports' day I will have to bring mindees as well as other school activities such as the school fete...haven't asked parent yet but I know she will be fine with it. I think it's a great experience for the lo's to see...knowing my 2 1/2 yr old mindee he will want to join in :laughing:

smurfette
18-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I did it last week! One slept in the buggy, luckily as it was lashing rain and he is just starting to walk and would have been anxious to get out. The other one took part in the tiny tots race! He enjoyed watching all the comings and goings, and isnt that all part of the home from home care experience, taking them out and about?! If they had big brothers and sisters they would go.

Little Pickles
18-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Can't see why this would be a problem as long as parents are happy. Make sure you have snacks and toys etc to keep them entertained . Also do a RA.
I always take mindees to my kids sports days and try to attend the ones of the schoolies too, it makes for great integration if the mindees will attend that school themselves
Depending on their age you could always link in and do some little races etc for them another day ?
Have alovely time

BucksCM
18-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I used to take my mindee to dd sports days. They love it!:D

caz3007
18-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I have always taken mindies to see things at my sons school, his performances at end of term and also sports days, they love it and its what they would do if they had older siblings.

Always take toys and loads of snacks and our friends of the school always sell biscuits and squash anyway

stargazer1
18-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks ladies. Both mindees will be attending this school so I think it will be fab for them to see some of the things they will be doing. More worried about my own ds, 21 months old. He normally has a nap in the morning and then stays awake til bedtime, I'm dragging nap time out today in the hope he will sleep in the buggy at sports, otherwise hes going to want to be out and everywhere! Can just imagine me, one mindee in each hand, running across the lanes to grab my own ds thats jusy stood in amongst the kids running!:eek:

little chickee
18-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I take mindees to school sports, concerts, assembly etc.

I also don't ask parents permission. Its all part of my normal day to day routine.

If i tell a parent of our plans and they don't want me taking thier child to these events i would not care for the child that day.

I have in the past missed my kids school events because of parents and was in tears about it so never again.

caz3007
18-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I am lucky cos hubby is always able to attend events with me. At his work they are all parents and are really flexible with taking lunch breaks at risor whenever its needed and also about building up a couple of spare hours. The last school assembly we went too my full timer loved it but did think the activities after would be a risk assessment nightmare, so hubby stayed on and we went home.

But the only one I had to miss was a cristingle as under 5's werent allowed and hubby couldnt make that one either, children had to have parents there to be able to light their candle and I was really upset, but teacher let his two best friends mums take responsibility so he didnt miss out.

He is year 4 now and thats the only we have missed

melco
18-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I have the same problem and haven't asked parent yet. Mine is nest week and its all day. They have infants in the morning, a picnic and then juniors are in the afternoon. The mindee is normally with me 9.15am-2.15pm so also need to ask if she can be dropped off earlier and might need to see if I can drop her home afterwards as not sure what time it will be finished! Am nervous now!! I may also offer to swap the days if the parent finds it easier.

JCrakers
18-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I always take mine along. There's no way on earth I'm missing my own kids sports day :D

They love it. I make sure they have drinks,snacks and they sit and watch and have a fab time

snuffy123lulu
18-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I go to watch all my mindees past and present in their races. It is a fun day and last year both my mindees won the boys and girls toddler races !! Parents think it's great to involve them especially if they will be attending the school when they are old enough. :clapping:

fluff1975
18-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I take mindees to everything that is on at school. I don't get permission, as little chickee said it's part of the day to day routine. If a parent really didn't want their child attending then I'm afraid they'd have to find alternative childcare that day!

Tazmin68
19-06-2012, 01:23 AM
I have the same next week youngest son and last month my oldest had a congratulations in assembly and sometimes feel as a childminders child they get left out so I make a point of telling parents that it is something no parent should miss and that I will be taking mindees along so far I have not has any objections and it helps little ones understand what happens at school.

stargazer1
19-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for your replies. Mindees loved it. DD ran her socks off bless her. We took a picnic and had a lovely day. Mindees wanted to join in but they didnt do a tots race this year :( TBH there is no way I will be missing anything that involves my own children. Either them mums agree to them coming along or they are free to swap days but I will not be missing any sports days, parents meetings, concerts etc. My own children come first.

miffy
19-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks for your replies. Mindees loved it. DD ran her socks off bless her. We took a picnic and had a lovely day. Mindees wanted to join in but they didnt do a tots race this year :( TBH there is no way I will be missing anything that involves my own children. Either them mums agree to them coming along or they are free to swap days but I will not be missing any sports days, parents meetings, concerts etc. My own children come first.

Glad you had a great time, I've always gone to sports days, concerts etc and never had a parent object. I think it's good for the little ones especially if they are going to that school and all part of the everyday activities we offer.

Miffy xx