PDA

View Full Version : help! need advice asap x

LittleLegsCM
17-06-2012, 10:02 PM
evening all,

sorry its late but Im hoping someone is available to help!

I have 1 after schoolie who I have every other week. Contract states: based on an alternating working week with a minimum of 9 hours to be paid for during these weeks."

I get the mum's schedule (normally) beginning of the previous month to be paid by the end of that same month (in advance, before the scheduled month starts). The last few months I've been getting it later & later and for May I was still 'pestering' her for it until the last weekend of the month meaning she only got the invoice a few days before it was due- needless to say it was a few days late being paid (although she told me she paid it on the day, the transfer date on my online banking shows otherwise).

She has today sent through July's schedule. Ive had to, again, request this a few times already as they go on holiday next week until the 30th. For starters, shes already advised its going to be late because where they're on holiday (not much I can do about that) but then shes also advised that her partner has a week off at the end of July so he will be collecting him and Im basically only needed for 3 evenings for the whole of July (and that week is already an hour short).

Now based on the contract terms, I technically should still be being paid for that week, shouldn't I? I already cocked up really at the beginning of this contract by still allowing holidays with such measly hours but I was thinking of emailing asking whether she wanted to take this certain week he's off as holiday (kind of acting a bit innocent, saying something like it saves her from paying the full 9 hours fees) but I'm not sure if that just makes me sound a bit arsey? would you do that? would you be more blunt?

TBH, he is one of the reasons I'm considering getting rid of my 2 schoolies (although when I originally took on the contract it weret too much of an issue as I didnt have anyone else). He is at a different school which isn't within walking distance so I have to get the toddlers in & out of carseats & pushchairs etc before doing it again going to the second school. The school doesnt even have a car park so I still have to park at the supermarket down the road and then walk abit. Then theres the fact that whatever meal I do him, he makes some sort of snide remark about it and most of the time refuses to eat it! and he is only just coming off punishment from his mum for telling me he had been in trouble at school which he then asked me to tell his mum and then told her I was lying, he hadnt spoken to me about anything etc! turns out he had completely made it all up just to waste time while he was here so he didnt need to do his homework!

what should I do???

VeggieSausage
17-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I think you need to have an honest chat and say that you need hours in advance, as per the contract 9 hours minimum is payable and if I was you maybe I'd give up this contract rather than the others....

Take charge, it is your business.....(difficult I know....I am such a coward!)

x

The Juggler
17-06-2012, 10:10 PM
ok hon, bit late and I've had a few glasses of wine so hope it makes sense.

2 issues here. do you want to keep him on, does it work for you. If not, I'd give notice now for end of the summer term.

other issue is payment. if you are giving notice, I'd just chase it and make sure you get money on time until end of summer term. If you think it's going to work ongoing you need to sit mum down for a chat to nip these issues in the bud.

" regardless of you getting your shifts late, you need to still clear payment by xxx date each month.

If you are on holiday, I would appreciate you actioning payment earlier or by internet banking so it still clears on time.

we are contract for x hours per week. regardless of days you need me or don't need me, those hours are still payable."

hope that's helpful xx

LittleLegsCM
17-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I think you need to have an honest chat and say that you need hours in advance, as per the contract 9 hours minimum is payable and if I was you maybe I'd give up this contract rather than the others....

Take charge, it is your business.....(difficult I know....I am such a coward!)

x

Thats the issue though, there isnt any time to have a proper chat before they go on holiday so whatever I say will be by email (which is majority of the communication with this mum anyway due to her hours she normally isnt the one picking him up etc)

Im considering giving up both schoolies as the other one is trouble behaviour wise, extremely lippy & has even broken a few things over the last few months!

The Juggler
17-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Thats the issue though, there isnt any time to have a proper chat before they go on holiday so whatever I say will be by email (which is majority of the communication with this mum anyway due to her hours she normally isnt the one picking him up etc)

Im considering giving up both schoolies as the other one is trouble behaviour wise, extremely lippy & has even broken a few things over the last few months!

ok so in that case. you e-mail mum and say please ensure payment is actioned before her holiday as you woudl HATE to have to slap on late payment charges at £x/day - by the time you get back that would add up to £xx in total which would be a shame ;)

Then, you give notice. :thumbsup:

LittleLegsCM
17-06-2012, 10:35 PM
we are contract for x hours per week. regardless of days you need me or don't need me, those hours are still payable."

So do you think I shouldn't give her the holiday option then? Just basically say it is what it is type of thing?

The Juggler
17-06-2012, 10:42 PM
So do you think I shouldn't give her the holiday option then? Just basically say it is what it is type of thing?

that really depends on your contract agreement for holidays hon. but regardless of that, whatever she owes you needs to be paid on time regardless of her being away or not.

On holidays - have you agreed no fee or half fees for her/child's absence? if not, then she pays the contracted amount :thumbsup: