PDA

View Full Version : 2yr pilot funding

linzi133
16-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Does anyone offer this?

I'm just about to go to meeting on Monday as in my area they need lots and lots of childminders to offer it (in my town they need approx 350 places by next September :eek:).

Can anyone give me a heads up how it works in regard to contracts? payments? pitfalls?

Are there any questions I should ask???

At the moment the hourly rate the LEA are offering is above the average hourly rate for my areas....although how long that lasts is anyones guess!

jumpinjen
16-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Discuss payment - we were told termly, we asked for monthly, they said offer over 38 weeks or 50 weeks, I have suggested 46 as I don't work 50 weeks of the year...... find out what support is on offer, what they require you to do - criteria, paperwork, training etc - our meeting was really positive and I'm going for it, starting the paperwork Monday x

Stapleton83
16-06-2012, 05:49 PM
They have been doing this at the Preschool i am Chair for and it is going really well, the only thing I would say is go with a list of questions. If they answer them great if not you will have an opportunity to ask them. Generally it has been positive although the only thing our playleader has said is that the 2 year olds often come from more disadvantaged backgrounds so take a bit more work, but that said she is used to them coming to her from 2.5 and 6 months makes a big difference.

Not sure that helps, but good luck!

Sam

Pipsqueak
16-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I would say - ensure you know what you are getting into when taking on a child... get all the information from the referrer - such as the reasons for the CAF/referral etc and what they expect from you - written reports, involvement, other professionals and so on....

See what support is on offer - its hard demanding work with some families. It can be heartbreaking
It can be emotionally draining and frustrating
(its also very rewarding too!)

linzi133
16-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Thank you for all the advice. It is something I'd love to get into...but am a little wary too.

I'm making a list of questions now!!

Pipsqueak...do you have many children on the pilot? how many have you had at any one time?

blue bear
16-06-2012, 07:15 PM
In our area they tend not to offer the 'risky' ones to childminders as we work alone and are more vulnerable. We have the right to say no if we don't feel safe with the set up.
Children are referred for lots of reasons mostly because of the child but can be because of the family situation, parents health etc.
We have to do extra paperwork for the two year olds as they lea needs to prove what sort of differnece the scheme is making and regular monitoring is essential.
We get paid termly in advance £4.85 an hour. From September all children on the scheme will be entitled to 11 hours over 50 weeks or 15 hours term time only.
I do a contract with the parent clearly stating if they do any extra hours including being early to drop off or late to collect I will charge x amount an hour, not sure how I'd enforce this but I hope it puts them off messing me about. I include a cooked meal but it's not part of the conditions our lea sets.

For some families you need to offer extra support and sign post them to extra help. I have only had one child at a time on this scheme purely because I have not had any more room, I am going to be offering holiday only care for a child on a scheme who attends a nursery that does not open in the holidays.

I find it really rewarding .

Pipsqueak
16-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you for all the advice. It is something I'd love to get into...but am a little wary too.

I'm making a list of questions now!!

Pipsqueak...do you have many children on the pilot? how many have you had at any one time?

I have had a total of 7 children via the pilot and I have had two at one time.
All have been 'difficult' placements - two safeguarding, 3 SLT, 1 behavioural and 1 psed... that said most of them have had elements of the aforementioned...

3 sets of the parents have been challenging to say the least and i was asked to 'report' on the parent behaviour.
Just be aware that some of these parents may resent the intervention and you may have to ensure that you start as you mean to go on. Explain that if they aren't coming you can't hang about for them to text you, contracted days and hours non transferable...etc

loocyloo
16-06-2012, 08:26 PM
it isn't just looking after the child, its quite often 'parenting' the parent and modeling how to interact/play with child/and drip by drip feeding the parents information about healthy eating/routines/behaviour management etc. plus in my situation, it has also been telling the parents they ARE doing a good job and giving them support to attend college/look for work.

i have a possible funded child coming up and LO ( and family ) are going to be extreemly challanging. i am already in discussion to put support in place.

but it is rewarding when you look at the child ( & parent ) and see the difference you have made.

md0u0131
16-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Our CCSO was talking to me about this the other day - she was convincing me to hurry up and get accredited so I can offer it!

Still thinking about it TBH, the numbers here for September are increasing and she said there were some kids who they'd rather place with childminders than nurseries as they'll get more attention (her words not mine!)

Pipsqueak
16-06-2012, 09:05 PM
it isn't just looking after the child, its quite often 'parenting' the parent and modeling how to interact/play with child/and drip by drip feeding the parents information about healthy eating/routines/behaviour management etc. plus in my situation, it has also been telling the parents they ARE doing a good job and giving them support to attend college/look for work.

i have a possible funded child coming up and LO ( and family ) are going to be extreemly challanging. i am already in discussion to put support in place.

but it is rewarding when you look at the child ( & parent ) and see the difference you have made.

I agree, I currently have one child whos parents I have supported more than the child.

loocyloo
16-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Our CCSO was talking to me about this the other day - she was convincing me to hurry up and get accredited so I can offer it!

Still thinking about it TBH, the numbers here for September are increasing and she said there were some kids who they'd rather place with childminders than nurseries as they'll get more attention (her words not mine!)

i was talking to the lady who 'is' the 2 yr old project in north yorkshire and she said the same. some just would not thrive in a big setting. a small setting is hard enough!

Pipsqueak
16-06-2012, 09:17 PM

i was talking to the lady who 'is' the 2 yr old project in north yorkshire and she said the same. some just would not thrive in a big setting. a small setting is hard enough!

the current little one I have - oh heavens to have placed her in a nursery would have done more damage than good. I cannot imagine what she (or parent) wiould have been like ....

linzi133
16-06-2012, 10:16 PM
It sounds like it could be really rewarding and the chance to make a big difference in a families life!

Thank you ladies! I'm getting a little excited about the possibilities now. Fingers crossed the meeting goes well !!!

Tazmin68
18-06-2012, 01:27 AM
I have had a child since beginning of may and I know there have been changes with our local authority and funding is my issue. I am still waiting to find out when will I be paid and I am providing this child care till end August when this child then starts pre school.