PDA

View Full Version : what do you have....??

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Afternoon all :waving:

I was just wondering what you lovely people have in storage draws? (you know, the 4 tier clear draw units?) Ive seen quite a few pictures of your lovely children areas with them in so hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about LOL.

I've just bought another one as I needed two more draws but now I have 2 draws spare :rolleyes: so could you all tell me what resources you put in yours so I can look at filling them with something new?! The 2 empty draws make me sad :( ;)

Edited to add- My draw units are kept in the playroom and completely accessible (sp?) by the children so obviously it will need to be resources that are safe for them to access :) ta x

muffins
16-06-2012, 02:49 PM
I'e got the wooden train track in the bottom as it heavey, then the 2 up are filled with duplo & the top the little people train track (not the blue one but the old discontinued oval one) as thats quite light!:thumbsup:

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 03:07 PM
this is what I have at the moment
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=403117183057257&set=a.302443729791270.66376.239945952707715&type=1&theater

Its the 2 middle draws on the one you can just about see that needs filling. At the moment Ive just chucked little bits in so they arent completely 'empty' as that would drive me mad lol. The bottom draw is mega blocks, top one soft toys. One of friends just suggested little plastic animals which I'm liking as it will be good when teaching LOs animal names etc but they're quite deep draws so not sure if they may look a little lost in there lol x

md0u0131
16-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Currently (but I'm having a toy cull so this may change!):
- craft paper bits and junk
- wooden train
- dolls clothes
- building bricks
- animals
- vehicles
- musical.instruments
- balls.

md0u0131
16-06-2012, 03:51 PM
As an aside littlelegs - where is your book case from? I want one like that the kids can see the books a bit easier in.

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 03:58 PM
As an aside littlelegs - where is your book case from? I want one like that the kids can see the books a bit easier in.

Argos £31.99 HOWEVER! If I had a little bit more money I wouldn't have bought it!
The material that the sling is made out of is crap and I really cant see it lasting long :( (I think I'm going to buy some canvas & sew a new one together) oh & 1 one the slots was really tight, it had been sewn a lot smaller than the others so I struggled to get it on, thought it was going to tear there & then!!

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Oh! and as my 20month old son has already 'posted' anything he can (including all of the books) BEHIND said bookcase umpteen times and its only been together a few hours, I think its location will need a bit of re-thinking!! :doh:

jumpinjen
16-06-2012, 04:54 PM
They had them on offer for £15 six weeks or so back - I have a fronted book case made from wood like this, but i loved Bori's idea of the ikea stools with the red lids taken off and books stored in them! I also rate baskets for being able to flip through books and see the covers and for being moveable x

Mouse
16-06-2012, 05:02 PM
What about a drawer of wooden things - wooden spoons, spatulas, egg cups, bracelets, curtain rings etc.

I have a basket of things like that & the children play with them for ages.

singingcactus
16-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Fill one of the drawers with ball pit balls. You can't go wrong with ball pit balls :)
Maybe some plushies, teddies and the like in the other one? You can get those little beanie type ones that are a nice size, whilst not being too big. I think you need something with faces on :)

jumpinjen
16-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't have drawers but in my baskets I have one for exploring numbers with all sorts of number resources like number bean bags, large dice, wooden clock, number puzzle, fraction apples, counting beads etc etc and one for letters and sounds with alphabet bean bags, tiny alphabet books, talking tins, a listening game etc etc

i really rate my collection of british soft toy animals - they get played with a lot - puppets maybe? A treasure box/basket is a great addition, a drawer of fabrics and scarves to make scenes, dress up in, make dens etc

jen x

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Fill one of the drawers with ball pit balls. You can't go wrong with ball pit balls :)
Maybe some plushies, teddies and the like in the other one? You can get those little beanie type ones that are a nice size, whilst not being too big. I think you need something with faces on :)

Unfortunately anything ball related is a no no! I have one mindee who thinks anything ball shape should be used to throw at people or objects and not lightly either!! Trying to get him to play with them normally is basically impossible so now I just dont have anything ball based around inside when he's here.

Stapleton83
16-06-2012, 05:52 PM
We have the pretend food in one of our boxes, no drawers I'm afraid, but they are light and they really love doing let's pretend but also great for counting, colours and learning about food.

Sounds like you have been very busy :)

janminder
16-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Toys that are ok if the littlies get into them eg. brio train set, duplo, some happyland, cups, saucers etc

miffy
16-06-2012, 07:30 PM
What about an I T draw - old phones, cameras, light up toys that sort of thing - all safe and good for children to explore.

Miffy xx

mushpea
16-06-2012, 07:36 PM
most of my resources are in these draws,
trains and track
duplo
cars
popoids
potato head
kidi knex
toy food
plates, bowls etc for kitchen
waffle bricks
little people and elc people
wooden building bricks
peppa pig
dinosaurs
animals
my little pony
dolls head and acsesories
peg puzzles
zoobs
georello
square things the kids use in maths but i cant think of the name!
small soft puppies and kittens

I also have a set of draws with
squares of material
pots, small bottles,small plastic conatiners
fir cones
small glass pebbles

I used to have all of these draw units in all of the time but now the weather is nicer we have one unit in with 4 drawers in and then I put more resources in the garden for them.

Vickster
16-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I have
Small world
Vehicles
Musical Instruments and Aquadraw
Construction

blue bear
16-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Dinosaurs
Farm animals
Zoo animals
Duplo
Duplo vehicles
Duplo train set
Kitchen food
Jewellery, hair bands, tiaras
Binoculars, phones, wind up torches and cameras
Little people, happy stret people
Themed people ( thunderbird, superman, bob the builder sort)
Wooden bricks
Dressing up including scarves bags and clothing
Action dolls(Barrie, cindy, action man)
Magnifying glass, bug pots and reference books
Dressing up shoes
First aid stuff(toy)
Popoids
Soldiers
Puzzles
Hats
Primo
Musical instruments
Pens, pencils, glue sticks
Dot to dot and other activity books
Sewing, bead threading (higher up)
Stickers
Card and paper
Soft toys
Singing prompts, such as a star to sing twinkle, 3 frogs, wooden spoon.
Giant magnets
Bean bags
Wooden vehicles
Sea life animals

I wheel some outside each day

LittleLegsCM
16-06-2012, 08:05 PM
most of my resources are in these draws,
trains and track
duplo
cars
popoids
potato head
kidi knex
toy food
plates, bowls etc for kitchen
waffle bricks
little people and elc people
wooden building bricks
peppa pig
dinosaurs
animals
my little pony
dolls head and acsesories
peg puzzles
zoobs
georello
square things the kids use in maths but i cant think of the name!
small soft puppies and kittens

I also have a set of draws with
squares of material
pots, small bottles,small plastic conatiners
fir cones
small glass pebbles

I used to have all of these draw units in all of the time but now the weather is nicer we have one unit in with 4 drawers in and then I put more resources in the garden for them.

OK, I'm obviously not 'in the know'- what are popoids? waffle bricks? zoobs? georello? I dont remember toys having such odd names when I was growing up! :laughing:

And is not against animal rights to put small soft puppies & kittens in a draw?? :eek:;)

md0u0131
16-06-2012, 08:19 PM
They had them on offer for £15 six weeks or so back - I have a fronted book case made from wood like this, but i loved Bori's idea of the ikea stools with the red lids taken off and books stored in them! I also rate baskets for being able to flip through books and see the covers and for being moveable x

I missed that about the red ikea stools.... which ones are they. I've been trying to find a nice wooden magazine rack type thing to have a small selection of books that are rotated. At the moment I have 4 ikea book shelves filled with kids books and there are just too many I think they get a bit overwhelmed :eek:

Boris
17-06-2012, 06:25 AM

Thank you Jen! :)

Boris
17-06-2012, 06:28 AM
I missed that about the red ikea stools.... which ones are they. I've been trying to find a nice wooden magazine rack type thing to have a small selection of books that are rotated. At the moment I have 4 ikea book shelves filled with kids books and there are just too many I think they get a bit overwhelmed :eek:

They are little stools made from wood with a red plastic lid that I have taken off. They are about £15 from ikea, in the children's bit. I put a pic on here a while ago, I'll see if I can find it x