PDA

View Full Version : Variation 7 under 8

Helly Belly
15-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Hi all ,i have two daughters 7 and 4 both will be school sept ive had variations for 4 under 5 before but still within 6 under 8 , come sept though i will need 3 eyfs plus 2 schoolies plus my two so 7 under 8 just 45 mins two mornings plus 2 hours one evening, anybody had 7 under 8 agreed before? all would be continuity of care, two are siblings plus a set of twins (the twins are also siblings :laughing:)
cheers fun friday
plus went on new eyfs course today and i think all will be well as written in much proper english:happy banana:

jayjay1963
15-06-2012, 04:14 PM
As far as I'm aware Ofsted never allow 7 under 8 under any circumstances.

Jacqui

Helly Belly
15-06-2012, 04:20 PM
thought so i have 3 assisitants with a 4th registering soon all as back ups and i have the number increase for when working with an assistant so will sort something out thanks for reply x

sarah707
15-06-2012, 04:21 PM
The EYFS states very clearly that at no point can childminders have more than 6 children under the age of 8 by themselves.

if you take on an assistant, have them CRB checked, apply for and get planning permission to exceed 6 children, pay the extra business rates etc... then you can ask Ofsted to allow your assistant their own ratio of children which will allow you to be flexible.

Hth :D

Helly Belly
15-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks Sarah done all needed for assistants so will carry on working with one, im lucky i have a selection!

jumpinjen
15-06-2012, 05:06 PM
The EYFS states very clearly that at no point can childminders have more than 6 children under the age of 8 by themselves.

if you take on an assistant, have them CRB checked, apply for and get planning permission to exceed 6 children, pay the extra business rates etc... then you can ask Ofsted to allow your assistant their own ratio of children which will allow you to be flexible.

I've been having seven children (with my assistant) for half an hour once a week for five weeks now - didn't realise I had to get PP for that :eek: Oh dear - what does it entail? It's only til the then of July then won't be having the seven (or an assistant) anymore!
Jen x

pinky33
15-06-2012, 05:23 PM
We have 7 under 8 mon-thur
We are both reg childminders so don't know if that makes a difference
We only need planning if we exceed 8 kids in total in my area as I called yesterday to check.

winstonian
15-06-2012, 05:42 PM
i asked for a variation to have 4 under 5s last year and couldnt as although my own 3 children were at school it would have shown as 7 under 8s - this applied even though it was term time only and for 2 hours 10.30-12.30! Ofsted even agreed that it was madness but there you go!

sarah707
15-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I've been having seven children (with my assistant) for half an hour once a week for five weeks now - didn't realise I had to get PP for that :eek: Oh dear - what does it entail? It's only til the then of July then won't be having the seven (or an assistant) anymore!
Jen x

It's a bit like opening a big can of worms Jen... but if your LA require planning for over 6 children then it should be in place before you take them on or you might not be working legally.

It's mostly about the impact of a bigger than '6 children under 8' business on your neighbours - noise, extra traffic etc. You might also be classed as a business rather than home and have to pay business rates, bin emptying money etc.

jumpinjen
15-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Oh bother - might just see if I can tweak the new baby's hours then as really don't need all the extra hassle and costs - I only have three parents collecting as two are siblings, and the two under fives (my other under five is my own baby) and my neighbours are lovely so they shouldn't complain - is there any way to discreetly find out what the LA's planning regs are without actually ringing up and opening that can?

Jen x

sarah707
15-06-2012, 07:47 PM
is there any way to discreetly find out what the LA's planning regs are without actually ringing up and opening that can?

Jen x

You could ring and pretend to be someone else :cool:

Would your local bods know? ... :D

jaswinder bedi
15-06-2012, 07:54 PM
If you are registered to care or only 6 children they try and fit in age accordingly to care..... i.e.... 4 under 5's and 2 under 8's... Which makes tolat 6 children....7 children ofsted will not allow at a time unless you have 14 children a week at different times oh yes they can't stop this..... As this includes over eight so don't panic:).

Sadly you will have to say no to mum is the best answer!!!!! Why take extra stress when you don't need one. X :idea::):):):)

jumpinjen
15-06-2012, 08:22 PM
You could ring and pretend to be someone else :cool:

LOL I like that idea Sarah - I'm wary of my DO so wouldn't lay myself open to asking her just in case!

Thanks for the heads up - the baby causing the havoc is off on hols next week so I have a week's grace to sort it out - this'll teach me to do favours for annoying ex families who i should know better than to take back on LOL!

Jen x

miffy
16-06-2012, 07:34 PM
is there any way to discreetly find out what the LA's planning regs are without actually ringing up and opening that can?

Jen x

Have a look on their website - might give you some indication but tbh if it's only until the end of July I don't think I'd worry too much.

Miffy xx

jumpinjen
16-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Have a look on their website - might give you some indication but tbh if it's only until the end of July I don't think I'd worry too much.

Miffy xx

Hmmm yes, fair point Miffy, might take me a week to find the number, a week to find opening hours etc etc...... but won't be caught out again without knowing - me thinks a lowish profile for a few weeks is in order!

Thanks hon, Jen x

blue bear
16-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Looking up planning which changed 27 march 2012it states you do not require planning when childminding as long as you are complying with the department of health standard ratios.

I also found an appeal where planning permission was declined but then allowed on appeal as each adult would be allowed 6 under 8 and it was felt the planning department had mis interpratated the guidance as the childminder was sticking to ratios as there were two minders in the same house. That's what I thought it said anyway.

Playmate
16-06-2012, 08:32 PM
We managed to get a letter from our local council to prove to ofsted we didn't need planning permission. When we explained to our council that it would only be for a couple of hours per week to provide continuity of care (or we would always have to gve notice once they reached 5) and not full time they were fine. I think many councils are now becoming more relaxed about this, so give them a ring :D