PDA

View Full Version : Nursery World article

Smiley
14-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Just noticed this today

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1135572/Higher-qualifications-put-pressure-salaries-pay-rates-below-average/

Penny1959
15-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Thank you for posting.

I am not sure if the figures stated show the whole picture for childminders as they do not state income in relation to registered places or to days / hours open. Some childminders are restricted due to own under fives which although reduces potential income also reduces family expenditure
As with all data it is never that straight forward.

However it does seem that the government is seriously considering increasing ratios, as they think it will reduce costs to parents / increase pay for early years practitioners.

I am not at all sure it will do either.

Penny:)

mama2three
15-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Thank you for posting.

I am not sure if the figures stated show the whole picture for childminders as they do not state income in relation to registered places or to days / hours open. Some childminders are restricted due to own under fives which although reduces potential income also reduces family expenditure
As with all data it is never that straight forward.

However it does seem that the government is seriously considering increasing ratios, as they think it will reduce costs to parents / increase pay for early years practitioners.

I am not at all sure it will do either.

Penny:)

Im sure it wont do either.
But - even if it did - parents happier , practitioners overworked but paid ok but simply unable to offer the same great opportunities and experiences to the children in their care due to numbers- and it is the child who loses out.
Every child matters? Not any more.

miffy
15-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Im sure it wont do either.
But - even if it did - parents happier , practitioners overworked but paid ok but simply unable to offer the same great opportunities and experiences to the children in their care due to numbers- and it is the child who loses out.
Every child matters? Not any more.

I'm not sure parents would be happier - mine chose a childminder because they wanted lower ratios especially for babies.

I'm sure higher ratios are coming though but at what cost? who knows :(

Miffy xx

watgem
15-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I feel the same I really feel its a step backwards, to the days when my mum was a childminder and the kids were plonked in front of the telly with a box of toys, the kids only got attention when i got home from school, because as my mum said she earned peanuts, so why should she bother? i really don't think increasing ratios will benefit children at all, nor do i feel it will reduce costs.