PDA

View Full Version : How to approach an issue with school?

bunyip
14-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I hope this isn't too controversial for these boards, but I'd really welcome opinions/advice. I'll avoid using names.

I'm one of 4 childminders in my village and although we don't have any formal group or arrangement we all get along pretty well. We also try to work with the school as co-professionals.

In the past, we've asked the school about 2 issues: vehicle access to the school grounds and advertising our services, for which we've offered to make a donation to school funds. The school has been very clear that vehicles are not normally allowed on the premises, and that they have a policy against advertising at the school. Fair enough so far, and we've always been content to comply if those are the rules.

However, the school now allows a kids' club/nursery company to bring its vehicles into the school grounds every day. The same company now has its advertising flyers displayed in the school foyer, and today every child has taken a copy of the flyer home, given to them by the school.

We childminders don't mind a "level playing field" where all childcare workers are treated the same, but feel very hurt that we are being treated unfavourably. We have always supported the school through fundraising, events, sharing resources, etc. (in one case, for over 20 years) in our roles as parents, grandparents, and childminders. Also, the school always makes a big thing of being part of the village community, so we're doubly upset that it seems to be favouring a childcare business that is based outside our local community (it operates from the next town.)

Does anyone have similar experience or can they offer advice, please? We don't want to get a reputation as "moaners", but feel it would be wrong to just ignore this sort of unfavourable treatment. In any case, I'd rather deal with it than let the bad feelings fester. We just don't know why this is happening: does the school think we're somehow less professional/qualified/capable than a big nursery/kids' club? I thought Ofsted registration was meant to ensure we were all working to a standard.

Should we demand a meeting? (though I can't see how we'd all get together at the same time.) Should we address a letter to the headteacher/governors/local education authority/Ofsted/who?

Your thoughts, please.

loocyloo
14-06-2012, 05:13 PM
hugs to you.

our old school was like that, wouldn't let CM advertise, but let a couple of afterschool clubs advertise. neither were based at our school, or in our village. there were quite alot of childminders at the school, and in the end they let us put together a 'generic' poster, advertising the services that childminders offer,a nd we then put a local contact number. maybe you could put all four of your names/numbers on a similar form?

we weren't allowed to send a flier home with the children ... so we were going to run a competition for ALL the children in the school to design the childminding group a logo ! i was then moving, and i'm not sure if it actually went ahead, but is an idea.

i think you need to talk to school about 'working with other professionals' and tell them how upset and hurt you all feel.

good luck xxx

Twinkles
14-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I would ask for a meeting with the headteacher. OFSTED are unlikely to be interested TBH.

Could you have a meeting between the 4 of you and decide what, as a group you would like to happen.

If possible two of you should go to the meeting. It looks more like a group effort and not just one minder grumbling.

I would point out what has been said about both of those issues in the past and what is being allowed now.
Ask what they are going to do to address the issue to make things equal for all child carers and not just the kids club.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Schools have the same boxes to tick and working with other professionals is one of them

I would also ask for a meeting with the head and see how you go. Why do you need to park in the car park and have a flyer ready, I actually print mine off each year (one for each child) and take them in. Justify everything and you may get somewhere.

Ripeberry
14-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Most schools now offer or have to offer 'wrap around care' Just remind them that CMs are that! I'd be getting an explanation from them. Don't let them fob you off :mad:

miffy
14-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I agree - approach the Head teacher first and, although Ofsted won't be interested, the school would not want Ofsted to know that they are not working in partnership especially if they have an inspection due anytime soon.

Miffy xx

mama2three
14-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I would say to the head that you are happy to see they have revised their policy regarding advertising of childcare services and that you will forward a leaflet outlining the childminder services available to parents for her to distribute .
One step at a time and Id focus on this issue for now as I see it as far more important.

QualityCare
14-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Some schools in my area will allow childminders to advertise on the parents noticeboard which is in the playground where parents wait, also if we give cards to the school office they can hand them to parents if they ask about childminding but they are not allowed to recommend or give out numbers if they havn't got a card. Schools will not allow us to drive on the premises but will allow after school club transport.

The Juggler
14-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I agree - approach the Head teacher first and, although Ofsted won't be interested, the school would not want Ofsted to know that they are not working in partnership especially if they have an inspection due anytime soon.

Miffy xx

i agree. meet the head teacher first, then the governors (you should mention that is your plan when you meet the head ;) ). They are supposed to be offering extended services which includes working with childcare and clubs out of school hours - that includes YOU and the out of school clubs :)

bunyip
17-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all your comments, ideas and support.

It may be difficult for us all to get together for a meeting, so we've decided to write a letter in the first instance. We're so upset that our first gut reaction was to take it straight to the local education authority. But we decided to be more than fair and write to the head first, so they could never accuse us of "going over their head". We will make it clear that we are prepared to take it further if we don't get full satisfaction.

I think we need to stick together and not have individual meetings with the school over this. The head is quite capable of being incredibly charming and maybe fobbing each of us off one at a time. Our local preschool have had similar problems with the school too.

The advertising is such a sticky issue. If the school just agrees to remove the kids' club flyer, then we CM's are at a disadvantage because they've already had all the publicity and we've missed out. If, on the other hand, it becomes a free-for-all, then we're still at a disadvantage because the kid's club can afford any number of glossy leaflets, but CMs have limited budgets. Hey-ho.

Above all, I think now is the time to take a stand if we're ever going to be taken seriously.