PDA

View Full Version : Great :(

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I need to get mains connected smoke alarms in the house and it's going to cost £150 (I've emailed a few electricians and this is one quote I've got back but guessing the rest will be similar). It's totally not worth paying when we're moving in 4-6 months :( absolutely gutted as this morning I got my first little one lined up for when I'm registered.

guest3
14-06-2012, 02:35 PM
If you get the local fire brigade round to do a fire safety check, they install the smoke detectors for you for free :thumbsup:

muffins
14-06-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm quite sure theres nothing that says they need to be mains connected, who said that?

~Grasshopper~
14-06-2012, 02:43 PM
you dont need mains connected ones??/ who said that.

i have 10year ones from amazon think they were £25 for 2 and you bin them after 10years and replace. xx

Bridey
14-06-2012, 02:43 PM
You're in Scotland aren't you? Are the rules different there? Battery operated smoke alarms have been fine for me for 12 years. I would be surprised if anyone else has mains ones :(

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 02:44 PM
If you get the local fire brigade round to do a fire safety check, they install the smoke detectors for you for free :thumbsup:

I had the fire officers round today. They put free ones in but only battery ones, not mains connected :(

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, I'm in Scotland.

Bridey
14-06-2012, 02:50 PM
So who says you need mains ones - why didn't you accept the battery ones the firefighters were happy to fit?

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 02:52 PM
So who says you need mains ones - why didn't you accept the battery ones the firefighters were happy to fit?

I already have the battery ones. It's a requirement in Scotland that they have to be mains connected.

sarahjane
14-06-2012, 02:59 PM
So what happens if there is a power cut? At least with battery operated ones they work as long as you make sure the batteries are ok. I test mine weekly (usually when my daughter burns her toast :rolleyes:)

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 03:01 PM
are you offering overnight? i have to have mains coz i'm overnight too

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 03:02 PM
So what happens if there is a power cut? At least with battery operated ones they work as long as you make sure the batteries are ok. I test mine weekly (usually when my daughter burns her toast :rolleyes:)

I think they have battery back up. It's supposedly so if one alarm goes off they all go off.

Bridey
14-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry - I saw you had the battery ones already as soon as I had posted but then my teenager decided to turn off my router to reset my internet so I couldn't change what I had written!

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 03:04 PM
are you offering overnight? i have to have mains coz i'm overnight too

Nope, not offering overnight.

Bridey
14-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I've done some googling and yes, its a requirement in Scotland. At least one mains smoke alarm per floor is the minimum requirement for minders not offering overnight care. :eek:

I didn't know that :(

LauraS
14-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Ours are mains - they still operate on battery in a power cut. Harsh that you have to have them, though, I would have thought that battery operated ones would be adequate.

Although £150 is a lot of money (especially when it is an unexpected expense and for something boring and slightly unnecessary) you could potentially earn that in a week or two with your first mindee, so it is worth having it done even if only for six months.

Could your electrician remove the alarms and rewire them at your new place once you move, might save a little in the long run?

sarah707
14-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes as Bridey says mains smoke alarms on every floor are required for Scottish childminders - their standards are different from the EYFS.

It might be worth asking around for a better quote. Good luck! :D

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 04:00 PM
To be honest I don't know what to do. I may not be registered til end of August and then might move in October. Money isn't a problem after we move but I can't justify spending that much for so little time, and I don't have that much spare either. I'll just need to see when everything else happens and judge once I have a better idea of when I'll be registered.

lynncjt
14-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Have you checked whether there is any help available? In Aberdeenshire you can get a grant of upto £250 for getting mains connected smoke alarms.

sprinkles
14-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Have you checked whether there is any help available? In Aberdeenshire you can get a grant of upto £250 for getting mains connected smoke alarms.

I asked my DO and she said I have to get an electrician to put them in them keep the receipt to claim back from my start up grant.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-06-2012, 05:24 PM
In England we went through a stage of wired alarms and there was up roar. Now I have them I think they are far better than the battery ones that we used to have and they are positioned in the correct place because a professional did it.

I am not knocking battery ones or anyone who has them but the mains give much better protection.