PDA

View Full Version : Holding a place

Annelize
14-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi,
Just wondering how long other childminders generally agree to hold a place (that they have paid a deposit and signed a contract for) without charging a retainer fee?
And if you charge a retainer fee what percentage of your rates do you charge?
thanks
Annelize

loocyloo
14-06-2012, 01:54 PM
i don't hold a place without a retainer fee! my retainer is usually about 50% of fee, but variable depending upon circumstances/children etc. i only charge a retainer if there is an actual space and the child could start theoretically start tomorrow as it were. other wise its a big (non refundable unless i can't provide space) deposit that is held till the end of contract!

stargazer1
14-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I had a mum ask me last month for a space for her little one two days a week from September. Only 4 hours a day, so will be £28 a week. I asked for two week deposit (£56) and signed contract to secure the place - havent heard from her since. TBH if its this hard getting £56 from her, not sure I want to rely on her paying me every week!! I would definitely insist on a deposit, or a retainer, to hold a place regardless of how far ahead it is.

miffy
14-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I usually take a months deposit, I've never charged a retainer until recently but have one family paying now to hold a place for September at 50% of the usual fee but that is because they know I would fill the space if they didn't.

Miffy xx

Smiley
14-06-2012, 07:53 PM
The differences between deposits and retainers are:
deposit - to hold a place for a date in the future as currently no availabilty
retainer - place is currently available but parent doesnt require until a future date.

I have always charged 50% for a retainer fee

Annelize
15-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks,
Think I may be a softy. Desperate for more children asap and have a mum that need from Jan but worried if I ask retainer fee that she might go with someone else. Still have more space if I take her but enquiries starting to come in again so dont want to block myself out for someone that might want to start sooner x

Bridey
15-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't think I would hold a place for that long a period of time, unless it was a sibling of a child I already mind, in which case I would take a month's deposit.

blue bear
16-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I never had taken a deposit or retainer, but then I don't promise places until a month before start date, they can come visit etc but if someone else wants it first and is willing to pay I would then contact first parent and they can decide what to do.

Baildon bears
16-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I would think carefully about that one, Jan is 7months away a very long time and anything could happen in that time.Personally I would not want to take a retainer off them for that long, I would take there details and say you would be happy to look after there child but would have to contact them nearer the time as you have the spaces to fill straight away, even if they were happy to pay a retainer, its still half of a wage that you could fill over the next couple of months hopefully.