PDA

View Full Version : Term time only & school clubs

AliceK
14-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have school age children who have a TTO contract with you and then go to school clubs in the school holidays because they are cheaper. What do you think of this?

xxxx

Bridey
14-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes. Its lovely - I have school holidays off!

I charge a tiny, tiny retainer but this is to retain my contracted hours - it does not entitle them to extra ones. It is still cheaper for the parents to send their children to a club and pay me this than use me full time or have to pay me a holiday retainer if they want to go on holiday themselves etc.

The parents also pay me a fixed monthly sum as I divide the whole school year into 12 equal payments. This allows them to pay me via standing order and sort out their tax credits easily and gives me a consistent income.

The Juggler
14-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have school age children who have a TTO contract with you and then go to school clubs in the school holidays because they are cheaper. What do you think of this?

xxxx

Now I am full with littlies in term time, i don't mind - in fact I prefer it - as I have less older ones in the holidays. In fact, I positively suggested it to a mum recently. I used to her have boys from babies/toddlers - they left me last year when she was on mat leave. Now I'm having her baby 2 days a week in the school holidays as her CM is t-time only and that is max no. of days I work in the holidays. The two boys (who are no 5 and 7) I've suggested she use a holiday club and I will take them there and pick them up for her - it's cheaper for her and means I can still get out and about in my car and can concentrate on activities for the littlies.

However, when I used to work all year round I would have charged a retainer for this as I needed to be full in the holidays at that time (my two were both under 5 and under 8).

Tealady
14-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I think parents percive Holiday Clubs as better value as they offer a lot of activities that we couldn't offer as childminders and the fees are less.

However, holiday clubs day in and day out can be full on for younger school age children so my children come here for days here and there for a change of pace.

I must admit I even pack my DD, who is nearly 7, off to a holiday club for the odd day here and there for a change of scene and big girl fun with her friends rather than being surrounded by littlies for the whole time.