PDA

View Full Version : term time

dawnn93
13-06-2012, 11:40 PM
has anyone ever taken on a child for term time only do you take a retainer fee and if so how much do you charge

Mummits
14-06-2012, 05:27 AM
All my children are nominally Term Time only. I don't charge a retainer but I do ask for September money at the end of July to hold a place for their return after the long holiday. I also charge a slightly higher hourly/daily rate to anyone who wants TTO. I do work some of the holidays and am finding increasingly that my TTO parents are wanting to book some days in the holidays - when they do I just charge an extra ad hoc day or days, and I find that the best of both worlds as I don't feel I have to work it if it doesn't suit me.

loocyloo
14-06-2012, 08:28 AM
i have termtime only children. they do pay a retainer for the holidays ( half fee ) only they don't know, as i add it to the termly fee! * they do sometimes ask for holiday days, and then i do it if i can/want to!
at the higher rate :D

(* £4/00 hr x 39 weeks = £156 £2/00 hr x 13 weeks = £26.00 total - £182/00 ... £182 divided by 39 weeks = £4.6666! i charge £4.60/hr termtime only )

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 01:13 PM
great idea loocyloo! now why didn't i think of that?
i have some TTO children who i most definitely would not like to have even for the odd day in the hols and, because i don't ever want them to think they can even ask me to have them in the hols, i don't charge a retainer so i will definitely be thinking about adopting your approach - i love it!

funemnx
14-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't charge a retainer - just an enhanced hourly rate too :thumbsup:

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 01:31 PM
definitely reviewing it now! :D thanks peeps

QualityCare
14-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I charge the same hourly rate and charge a half fee retainer, one parent doesn't send her child at all in the holidays one uses me some times 1 or 2 days each week or just a few hours, days and times that suit us both she then pays full fee for hours used and 1/2 for the rest.

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 01:41 PM
that's what i do currently but time for a change methinks...

loocyloo
14-06-2012, 02:00 PM
;) i'm going to change my fees for my fulltime children in september ... i currently don't charge for the 4 weeks holiday i take a year .... so i'm going to take the same approach and add 4 weeks worth of half fees onto their normal fees :D cos actually, i'm quite happy with my fees! i know they won't want to pay holiday fees!

cbj1609
19-03-2013, 07:41 PM
hello

I have a parent on a term time only contract and she has given in her notice. The notice started on the 14th March and so this takes it to the 11th April. She finishes term on the 28th March so 2 weeks are still due. Do I get the money off her for the 2 weeks I the Easter hols or do I ask for it for the two weeks they are back in school even though she wont be here.

I realise this sounds stupid but need to get it straight before I write to her and ask for the money. Just one of those parents who I think will say - "well she isn't with you for the holidays so I'm not paying" but she is never here in hols so that shouldn't count towards the notice. Either way I'm thinking she owes me 2 weeks money - is that right.

Thank you
Catherine

AliceK
19-03-2013, 08:02 PM
hello

I have a parent on a term time only contract and she has given in her notice. The notice started on the 14th March and so this takes it to the 11th April. She finishes term on the 28th March so 2 weeks are still due. Do I get the money off her for the 2 weeks I the Easter hols or do I ask for it for the two weeks they are back in school even though she wont be here.

I realise this sounds stupid but need to get it straight before I write to her and ask for the money. Just one of those parents who I think will say - "well she isn't with you for the holidays so I'm not paying" but she is never here in hols so that shouldn't count towards the notice. Either way I'm thinking she owes me 2 weeks money - is that right.

Thank you
Catherine

When I had a TTO child leaving I had the same problem. I explained to mum that the 4 weeks notice was 4 "Working Weeks" so in your case I would state the last day of care as being at the end of the 2 weeks they are back at school.

xxxx

Daisy1956
19-03-2013, 08:32 PM
When I had full-time term time only I used to work out 39 weeks at full fee then 13 weeks at half fee add together and divided it into 12 monthly payments. Parents liked it because they knew how much to pay each month I liked it because I got the same every month easier to budget. Now they are part -time I charge an enhanced hourly fee.

twheeler29
19-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I dont charge my term time mindees for school holidays as i have my own children and would rather have the time of with them.

george
20-03-2013, 06:33 AM
We have just taken in a Term Time only child for the first time but was reluctant to not recieve fees every month due to our bills, we chose to not charge a retainer during the holidays because we know the family personally and they are hvg difficultys we just x the weekly fee by 38weeks and divided by 52 weeks so they only pay for term time but every month regardless so we all know were we are and four weeks notice could be anytime no problems :)

FussyElmo
20-03-2013, 06:35 AM
I dont charge my term time mindees for school holidays as i have my own children and would rather have the time of with them.

Me too :thumbsup:

Cinnamon Sugar
16-04-2013, 10:03 AM
I have been working for a parent charging term time only with no retainer for holidays at my standard fee. Mum has been on maternity for last 10 months and i have just had X 6 hrs per week under the impression that he would come back full time term time with his sibling too. Now mum is moving the goalposts again, saying granny may have kids 1 or 2 days per week but she can't be tied to which days and am I willing to charge a reduced rate as having 2 children in childcare is very expensive. Am at a loss. I feel like I have been more than flexible with waiting and holding a space over maternity and offer lots of extras that other childminders in my area do not. I don't think it's fair on the other families to charge her a reduced fee, don't really want to lose the work after holding the spaces for so long. Quite upset about it all really. [/I]

KatieFS
16-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Yes should be paid for time, so if term time contract notice only applies to this time!
Check your contract though!

lisbet
17-04-2013, 05:46 AM
I have been working for a parent charging term time only with no retainer for holidays at my standard fee. Mum has been on maternity for last 10 months and i have just had X 6 hrs per week under the impression that he would come back full time term time with his sibling too. Now mum is moving the goalposts again, saying granny may have kids 1 or 2 days per week but she can't be tied to which days and am I willing to charge a reduced rate as having 2 children in childcare is very expensive. Am at a loss. I feel like I have been more than flexible with waiting and holding a space over maternity and offer lots of extras that other childminders in my area do not. I don't think it's fair on the other families to charge her a reduced fee, don't really want to lose the work after holding the spaces for so long. Quite upset about it all really. [/I]

That sounds rubbish :(

Maybe write a letter outlining how you have already saved her lots of fees by saving her spaces for free for so long, that your fee is already as low as you can make it so you can't afford to reduce fees for siblings, and that you need to know which days she is going to want by x date so you can advertise the two spaces on other days?

:group hug:

Chatterbox Childcare
17-04-2013, 11:37 AM
I charge half fee for under 8's in the school hols to hold the space. Over 8's no fee.