PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at this - government taking notice

Penny1959
13-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Not sure if already been posted (due to trouble doing things on phone) but thought best to pass on just in case it has not.

Seems we are getting noticed in government

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/business-papers/commons/early-day-motions/edm-detail1/?session=2012-13&edmnumber=165&orderby=Name&orderdirection=Desc

A friend forwarded to me

Penny :)

Bridey
13-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Look! We have Glenda Jackson on our side!!

uf353432
13-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Its brilliant news - saw this earlier today - just what we need to keep the campaign momentum going. Reckon we'll be hitting 8k this weekend at some point.

miffy
13-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Fabulous - maybe we need to target ALL Labour MP's

Miffy xx

oakie dokie
13-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Went to new EYFS training last night, lots of other CM unaware of any of this! I went armed with the posters and also gave one to DO who also new nothing about the deregulation.

uf353432
13-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Gosh just makes me realise how many people we still have to make contact with. We need some media coverage of this - something big - we need to find a way of reaching out to everyone we can.

wonder if there is a way of getting every address of every childminder registered with Ofsted?

miffy
13-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Gosh just makes me realise how many people we still have to make contact with. We need some media coverage of this - something big - we need to find a way of reaching out to everyone we can.

wonder if there is a way of getting every address of every childminder registered with Ofsted?

I thought the petition website were doing a press release?

Miffy xx

Penny1959
13-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Data protection will prevent anyone from giving out lists.

Not sure how we can make people sit up and take notice - go en that although some LAs not done anything many have, ncma have let their members know. Childcare Macs and organisations have pit something about it and of course on here, Facebook and twitter we are constantly all posting and re posting.

Debbie did John release the bit for the media?

uf353432
13-06-2012, 05:50 PM
they are still working on it - there is interest there - but most of the big players are looking for a hook. Because its obviously in the discussion and planning stage in parliament there are unlikely to be anything coming from them.

Best we can hope is that combined with our efforts on the petition the early day motion does well in sponsors and out of it comes more publicity. The more local media and trade media people do the more likely the bigger players will pick up on it.

We do have one paper who are interested in the story - the reported was on holiday last week and they are going to revisit this week.

We need to get support for that early day motion - i've emailed my local MP to bring it to his attention - I think its something everyone needs to consider doing especially if the MP appears supportive in correspondance.

uf353432
13-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Data protection will prevent anyone from giving out lists.

Not sure how we can make people sit up and take notice - go en that although some LAs not done anything many have, ncma have let their members know. Childcare Macs and organisations have pit something about it and of course on here, Facebook and twitter we are constantly all posting and re posting.

Debbie did John release the bit for the media?

yes John did - it generated some immediate interest and one is still viable - but Media need an 'angle'

oakie dokie
13-06-2012, 06:43 PM
how about we pretend to be a parent wanting the list of childminders from are LA :laughing:!

Pipsqueak
13-06-2012, 06:48 PM
its gaining momentum and I think we just need to keep plugging away... getting into the internet forums - parent and child ones, childcare ones and keep bumping/reposting.

Making people aware.

Sending letters/emails to DO's and local early years teams and asking them to forward to people
Get to the local FIS's and also your neighbouring FIS - post on their facebook walls

How about anyone who is studying EY at college or uni - ask people/tutor/head of department within that sector to circulate the information

Anyone with links to children centres, playgroups/schools, other settings (nurseries etc) get the information to these people too

Bombard your local MP and neighbouring MP and get the word circulated

Speak to your local radio station or free newspaper - often stories like this start of small in local rags and gather support...

oakie dokie
13-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Arranging a meeting with our local MP Andrew Billingham along with my parents so hopefully hear something soon. Email sent and have local Councillor on board!

uf353432
13-06-2012, 07:07 PM
We recently had a guest forum on my OU course - which meant everyone doing K218 accessed it - so I posted a link to the petition - it got a few sigs form that. I also keep posting on the K218 group on FB.

Its our quality improvement scheme session tomorrow - hoping I will be able to get hold of some childminders who are often harder to reach to get onboard.

uf353432
13-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Yell.com - thats where we go a list of all the childminders who advertise :)

SYLVIA
13-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Could we get a list of childminders with vacancies from FIS. Would they have telephone numbers we could contact or is that invasion of privacy?

uf353432
13-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I want email addresses really - cheapest way of contacting lots of people.

christine e
13-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Only just seen this
http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/165

Sir Alan Meale is my MP - wrote to him a couple of weeks ago and was having a bit of a moan today because I had not heard from him but he has so obviously done something about it!

uf353432
13-06-2012, 08:52 PM
send him a letter of thanks and ask him if there is anything we can do to support his motion?

i've sent an update on the petition signposting everyone to the motion and asking them to email local MP's to add their names to it. I guess as he started it he's going to do some campaigning internally as well to drum up more sponsors. I wonder how many sponsors they need ?

You must have written a really good letter - well done you !

christine e
13-06-2012, 08:55 PM
send him a letter of thanks and ask him if there is anything we can do to support his motion?

i've sent an update on the petition signposting everyone to the motion and asking them to email local MP's to add their names to it. I guess as he started it he's going to do some campaigning internally as well to drum up more sponsors. I wonder how many sponsors they need ?

You must have written a really good letter - well done you !

Will get on to it tomorrow!

Cx

Penny1959
13-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Only just seen this

Sir Alan Meale is my MP - wrote to him a couple of weeks ago and was having a bit of a moan today because I had not heard from him but he has so obviously done something about it!

Fantastic Christine. Lets hope others follow your MPs excelllent example. Not heard anything from my MP yet.

The Juggler
13-06-2012, 10:04 PM
that is brilliant :clapping::clapping:

miffy
14-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Only just seen this

When I saw it was Alan Meale I wondered if he was your MP - well done Christine!

My MP is conservative so not expecting a similar response :(

Miffy xx

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 12:12 PM
i sent a letter to my MP (labour) and regrettably i have no reply, very disappointed

Smiley
14-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I have received a message from someone from my MP's office saying she has to follow protocol and can't respond unless I send my postal address to show I am in her constituency! I have since done that but stil not heard, although I sent her the link to the parliamentary notice

uf353432
14-06-2012, 12:56 PM
i sent a letter to my MP (labour) and regrettably i have no reply, very disappointed

They are duty bound to reply to you - chase them up reminding them of their duty to respond to every communication sent by a constituency member

Helcatt
14-06-2012, 01:04 PM
My MP, Jeremy Corbyn is there!

Hx

loocyloo
14-06-2012, 02:02 PM
have emailed link to my MP ... will watch this space!

jackie 7
14-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I just emailed my MP so the more we can contact the better. I want to stay with ofsted as the devil you know is better than the one you don't

Lady Haha
15-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I had a reply from my conservative MP today from my email dated 25th May.

He says:

I do believe it is important to make sure that good quality childcare is available to all, with as little bureaucracy as possible. It is also important that the inspection process is more efficient and more effective and that it provides greater value for money. Given the cost of childcare to families, I think that it is always a good idea to look at what alternatives to the current system might work better.

I understand that at present the government has not brought forward any concrete proposals, but that research has been commissioned to see what lessons might be learned from the Dutch model, and how applicable its principles are to the UK. If there are flaws in the Netherlands, as you say, I am sure that this research will reveal them.

Still prattling on about cheaper childcare for parents! Now the only way I can see that they can give cheaper childcare to parents without us having to drop our prices is if the government covers more of the cost themselves. Maybe this could be the way they are heading? If they can find a cheaper way to inspect and regulate childminders that will save money that they can maybe pass on in childcare tax credits? If that were the case, then I could see their point, but I highly doubt they are looking to give families MORE money!

dette
15-06-2012, 04:58 PM
e mailed my MP too ..

dette
26-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I emailed my MP Tony Cunningham and have had a reply.He is writing to sarah Teather at the department for education to pass on our concerns.
He said himself and his labour colleagues are apposed to these proposals ...i'll post again when he replies
He sent 2 sides of A4 with loads of stuff on so ill try and scan it in and post it (well ill ask DH to do it to be honest..tecnophobic :))

Penny1959
26-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I emailed my MP Tony Cunningham and have had a reply.He is writing to sarah Teather at the department for education to pass on our concerns.
He said himself and his labour colleagues are apposed to these proposals ...i'll post again when he replies
He sent 2 sides of A4 with loads of stuff on so ill try and scan it in and post it (well ill ask DH to do it to be honest..tecnophobic :))

Looking forward to seeing his response

loocyloo
26-06-2012, 08:13 PM
i emailed the link to my MP and got a letter back today saying that she doesn't sign early day motions! however, she has written to micheal gove and will let me know his response.

she has replied now to 2 letters and an email :D i think she is aware of the issue!

Penny1959
26-06-2012, 08:57 PM
i emailed the link to my MP and got a letter back today saying that she doesn't sign early day motions! however, she has written to micheal gove and will let me know his response.

she has replied now to 2 letters and an email :D i think she is aware of the issue!

:clapping: If we tell then enough they should eventually get the message. And that is a good response rate from an MP.