PDA

View Full Version : Change of Contract- what to charge?

hectors house
13-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi

Have looked after siblings for a while, one in reception and a toddler, the parents requirements have changed (for about the 4th time in a year), one parent working from home now and wants to take school child to school and reduce toddler hours to just school hours - so I will be losing 7 hours earnings, then in Sept the parent wants to change days (which I will have a space for but haven't now) and increase hours again. If I had a space for the day they want in Sept the hours would stay the same, but I have to wait for another child to go to school.

Really put out at possibility of losing so much money, tempted to still charge the same as I don't charge any extra for the school child, although I have to drive 3 miles twice a day to a village, I only charge for hours I have them - what do parents expect for £11 !! Would they go out in all winds and weathers for this money - doubt it?

Shall I tell parent that I operate a minimum of 8 hour charging policy which hasn't applied to them before as was more hours?

Any suggestions please....

Porridge
14-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Could u consider applying for a variation on grounds of continuity to allow you to look after the child on the new day they want?

hectors house
15-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Porridge

Thanks for your reply - no getting a variation won't work as with the three I already have, to then have the siblings and have to drive to a village to drop off older one at school, I haven't got room in the car - haven't got a 7 seater and the other children all get dropped off between 8.30 & 8.45 and can't wait until I get back at 9.30 am - I already have had to ask the parent who drops off at 8.45 am if she can come by 8.30 in Sept.

Did put invoice for the month in childs bag this week but haven't heard from the parents yet!

miffy
15-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Really put out at possibility of losing so much money, tempted to still charge the same as I don't charge any extra for the school child, although I have to drive 3 miles twice a day to a village, I only charge for hours I have them - what do parents expect for £11 !! Would they go out in all winds and weathers for this money - doubt it?

it doesn't sound as though you're charging them enough atm anyway as you're driving to a school twice a day to drop off/pick up the school age child for no extra money - it's probably costing you to look after them! :eek:

I do think a minimum hours charge is a good idea but if they are looking to reduce costs you may lose them altogether. You need to decide how much income this child's place must earn for you and then tell parents the cost. Or you could accept the reduction and look for another family then give notice.

Miffy xx