PDA

View Full Version : Public Liability Insurance

mummyof3
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Is it possible to take out the insurance before you are registered? I have friend who wants me to start minding her 8yr old frm sept and if I am not reg'd by then I have said I will still take her as she is over 8. She is not claiming tax credits so no worries there and we are doing everything above board with contracts etc. Is there anything else i'd need to have/know.
Thanks in advance!

avril
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I cannot remember if they needed my reg number to take out the insurance maybe someone can give you the answer, sorry:(

Straws
06-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I had to put my registration number on the application form

Straws x

sarah707
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry but you do need to be registered to take out insurance... the only way round it would be to have the child for no money until your registration comes through. As soon as you accept payment or payment in kind you are breaking the law.

I would ring Ofsted and ask them to put a rush on your registration - good luck :D

mummyof3
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh right I thought that because she is 8yrs old you didnt have to be reg'd thats what we were told on course. :eek:

I don't mind having her for free until registered if that is the case as she is my daughters friend so she'd be happy with that.

I couldn't rush registration through too much as I have a few more house alterations to be done first. I've already put up new fencing, new patio laid and chopped down a huge cherry tree, now its inside that needs tackling!

sarah707
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Oh right I thought that because she is 8yrs old you didnt have to be reg'd !

You're right officially like they said on your course you don't have to be registered for over 8s...

But you can't get insurance without being registered - catch 22 :rolleyes:

mummyof3
06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all your help.

It seems to be one hurdle after another just as you see the light it goes out again!!:(

Lottie
07-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Yes you need your Ofsted registration number to get insurance, you will need to send a copy of your ofsted certificate as proof. Also if you are going to get a bursary than your early years team sorts the insurance out for you. At least that's what they did with me.