PDA

View Full Version : Child can't hold scissors or a pen but......

jumpinjen
13-06-2012, 08:48 AM
nursery have put letter formation writing worksheets in her bag for her to do at home - :mad: makes me so cross - she needs fine motor play ideas, not writing worksheets - can these people not read the EYFS? do they know anything about child development, or do they just not care about the harm to her self esteem and physical development forcing things like this too early when she isn't ready? grrrr

Jen x

md0u0131
13-06-2012, 08:57 AM
grrrr how old is she? Can you speak to nursey?

Mouse
13-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Poor little thing.

There are so many wonderful play opportunities that they could put in place for her. Sending home a worksheet seems a somewhat lazy option :(

The Juggler
13-06-2012, 01:11 PM
i would tackle the nursery on this. they are clearly not focusing on this child's next steps - just giving class homework :panic::panic:

sarah707
13-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I agree with Juggler I would be asking how they are meeting the individual child's needs and interests...

I thought the majority of places were more enlightened that that nowadays. Clearly not :(

jumpinjen
13-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Her parents seem to be ignoring it for now - it is crumpled and has obviously been in there a few days, as has her reading book.... she is going to the school in September that the nursery is attached to - I handed her over today whilst chatting about how long we had spent cutting together this morning - hopefully they will get the message x

jumpinjen
13-06-2012, 07:28 PM
They don't do LJ's and as much as I've asked, no planning or any kind of communication is forthcoming from them - I have told them what we are doing at mine and asked what they are doing so I can link but no good - what can you do? the school is outstanding, not sure if the nursery is graded the same or not x

The Juggler
13-06-2012, 10:32 PM
They don't do LJ's and as much as I've asked, no planning or any kind of communication is forthcoming from them - I have told them what we are doing at mine and asked what they are doing so I can link but no good - what can you do? the school is outstanding, not sure if the nursery is graded the same or not x

i would tell them point blank or with mum's agreement write a letter to class teacher/head of nursery saying how shocked, surprised you were to see this in x's bag as she is only at the stage of xxxx and she needs more practice just holding a pen and mark making NOT writing worksheets of letters.

Question their feelign this is appropriate for her stage and ASK for a response. offer to give them a summary or where she is at with physical and CLL development relating to mark making. Shows working in partnership for Mrs O ;)