PDA

View Full Version : NEF - thought id give it another go

JCrakers
13-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Just before Xmas I decided to become accredited so a 3yr old could stay with me. I went through the first interview and had all the criteria to continue.
I had to do 'Progress from the start' course which I booked and I also had to produce a business plan. Someone came round my house to go through the plan (I had three under5's at my feet :rolleyes:)
She came in with her briefcase and looked at the children like she wasn't expecting them to be there.
Anyway the business plan was paperwork for paperworks sake so I decided not to go ahead as it gave me a headache by the second page.

Mum was going to lose her free hours but now has decided she cant afford to. So I gave it some more thought and dug out the business plan again thinking I could give it another go.

These are some of the questions I have to fill in and you wonder why this is a total waste of time

• Market
Describe the market you are operating within in terms of demographics, growth. Developments etc
• Stakeholders
Describe who they are, their level of involvement, their responsibilities, their expectations etc
Objectives
Realistic and measurable targets for each of the three years of the plan
e.g.
• Income, expenditure,
• Occupancy, sales conversions
• Marketing activities
• Quality, training etc

7. Monitoring and Measurement
The frequency of monitoring and measuring performance to ensure the objectives will be achieved.

7.1. Measurement Criteria
Key performance indicators e.g.
• Income
• Occupancy
• Expenditure
• others

As well as this I have to produce a 3 year cashflow prediction and a monthly plan of things I'm going to buy and how much they are going to cost.

Is it just me or is Leicestershire County Council totally off their rocker ????

Also I think the cashflow is rather private. The info they want is my personal wage information which I don't really want to share. A nursery would have staff wages on there but no name attached to it. My wages are my private affair

jumpinjen
13-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Off their rocker, this isn't appropriate for your business type - can you tell them and tell them you will produce a similar plan but one that is suitable for your business? Jen x

Bridey
13-06-2012, 08:39 AM
What the ...????? :eek:

I would ring the council up and query this!

JCrakers
13-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I queried it at the start and complained but they said this is what needs to be done.
The woman with her briefcase said I could miss a few bits out..I'm like...'What, all of it' :D

There must be childminders in Leics who are accredited and I'm wondering how they have done theirs. It all seems crazy

Bridey
13-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Why not put a call out to accredited childminders in Leics on this site to see if anyone can help you?

TooEarlyForGin?
13-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes it does sound rather bonkers.

Have you got a Development Worker/Officer to contact to discuss this?

Other wise maybe simplify your answers and see if they will suffice.

• Market
Describe the market you are operating within in terms of demographics, growth. Developments etc

Childcare, covering the XXXXXX areas and local schools. More houses being built at XXXX so can seek further business from this area if necessary

• Stakeholders
Describe who they are, their level of involvement, their responsibilities, their expectations etc

NONE

Objectives
Realistic and measurable targets for each of the three years of the plan
e.g.
• Income, expenditure,
• Occupancy, sales conversions
• Marketing activities
• Quality, training etc

Income - this information is private and I would rather not discuss it in this plan.

Occupancy - can take 6 under 8, 3 under 3 etc etc.... currently full cannot exceed these limits as this is the amount of children I am legally allowed to care for.

Sales Conversions - I have had XX amount of parent around in the last 12 months and X have signed contracts.

Marketing - If required I advertised in local children's centers, leaflets, car etc etc

Quality, Training - Have a level 3 qualification, A XX OFSTED report, dated XXXX, I undertake regular training for XXXXX.

7. Monitoring and Measurement
The frequency of monitoring and measuring performance to ensure the objectives will be achieved.

Monitoring - Monitored by OFSTED via inspections every 3 years, also by LA to maintain standards, regularly self-reflect to ensure standards are met.

Had to cut and run baby woke up hope this is a bit helpful.

blue bear
13-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Children
Parents
Providers/Professionals
Agencies/Owners
Community/Society
These are your stake holders

JCrakers
13-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. It's totally above me :(

I am quite an intelligent person (really, I am :D) but after leaving school and college studying childcare, leaving at 19 and working with children it's all a bit too officey for me (if that's a word)

I managed to set up a wedding online store, sourced suppliers,and sold things, made my own website but it didnt pay the bills. I can manage my business now, invoices, tax returns etc but this is just a bit too much for my brain...bleugh

sarah707
13-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I won't give my earnings to anyone but the tax man - they are nobody else's business...

I have done a business plan for an e-book I wrote some time ago to help people doing the level 3 course and didn't talk about money - just things like business sustainability, marketing etc. They said that was plenty to help them pass the course so I don't see why your lot are asking more questions than they need an answer for :(

Challenge it and see what they come back with! :D

sarahjane
13-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Is it any wonder why there is a shortage of accredited childminders if this is what you have to do in certain areas?
Luckily in Suffolk this is not a requirement otherwise I wouldn't be going through the process :rolleyes:

JCrakers
13-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Mum of mindee is going to help me do it, she's got more of an office head..we are going to make half of it up :D

Wages will not be added and if they insist then we are going to make up a load of numbers and stick them down

Two can play at this game :rolleyes: