PDA

View Full Version : uniform or not?

tash 1
12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi have just ordered a couple of polo shirts with my logo Tasha's Tots Childminding and embroidered pic of girl and boy on from vista print not arrived yet, wondering how many of you out there wear a uniform and what your views are?what are the quality of vista print polo shirts.Tashx:)

rickysmiths
12-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't have a uniform because I am me and not an institution. I didn't wear a uniform when I was mum to my two when they were younger.

I do have clothes I wear for work though so it doesn't matter if something happens to them.

I haven't ordered polo shirts from Vista Print so I don't know.

blue bear
13-06-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't like uniform for adults who care for young children. Where is the stimulation when your adult looks and feels the same every day, I deliberately wear different textures and colours especially when caring for the very young.
Don't get me started on nurseries, how can it be right when every adult looks and feels exactly the same?
Sorry, it is my pet hate so hence the rant.
Not ordered stuff from vista print.

boxtree7
13-06-2012, 06:48 AM
I didn't wear logos etc but I did purchase trousers and a couple of tops from DP for childminding. For me it meant I had to make a little effort everyday otherwise I would just throw anything together.

Dragonfly
13-06-2012, 06:48 AM
I agree with Rickysmith. A childminder is meant to be a home from home situation (well used to be when i started) I didn't wear a uniform when mine were young and wouldn't now, just clothes that I don't worry too much about getting glue and paint on.

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 06:57 AM
I have polo shirts that I wear for work with Little Legs Childminding embroidered on them.
I have had lots of positive comments from parents and the public so I'm happy with them, they weren't from vista though.

My husbands work tshirts were from vista, he just has the company name embroidered, no logo, they seem fine to me.

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I agree with Rickysmith. A childminder is meant to be a home from home situation (well used to be when i started) I didn't wear a uniform when mine were young and wouldn't now, just clothes that I don't worry too much about getting glue and paint on.

wearing a top with a business logo or name on doesnt change the home from home situation. It doesnt change the person wearing it or the home they are working from. Its no different to wearing a top with a branded logo on.

Bridey
13-06-2012, 07:03 AM
I just think polo shorts are horrible and unflattering and would never choose to wear one!

tash 1
13-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your views, fair points about being yourself not like a nursery etc I was thinking from the advertising side of things to let people see I am a childminder when out and about and be proud of my little business and try to attract some interest my way?
Tashx:)

Bridey
13-06-2012, 07:22 AM
One day, when I was walking to school with a baby, two toddlers and several schoolies of varying ages and nationalities, it was suggested that I wore a t-shirt that said "I am not a chav mother, I am a registered childminder!"

Monkey26
13-06-2012, 07:31 AM
One day, when I was walking to school with a baby, two toddlers and several schoolies of varying ages and nationalities, it was suggested that I wore a t-shirt that said "I am not a chav mother, I am a registered childminder!"

:laughing: x

Monkey26
13-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your views, fair points about being yourself not like a nursery etc I was thinking from the advertising side of things to let people see I am a childminder when out and about and be proud of my little business and try to attract some interest my way?
Tashx:)

In the holidays/when I think somewhere is going to be busy the kids all wear tshirts with my phone no on the back - safety and free advertising :thumbsup:

loocyloo
13-06-2012, 07:33 AM
I just think polo shorts are horrible and unflattering and would never choose to wear one!

snap! i used to have polo shirts with 'NNEB NANNY' on them when i was a nanny, and wore them for years, then once i stopped nannying i looked at them and thought 'how could i wear those?'

i am today, wearing a tshirt that says 'registered childminder' on the back, but mostly i wear my own clothes ( that i usually only wear for work ) with a badge from NMCA that says i am a childminder & my name. i do think of it as advertising.

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 07:37 AM
It does work tash, I've had 2 enquiries just from my tshirts, on from the school & one from the nursery I collect & drop off at.

Bridey, that is funny! And to be honest, another good reason for them! I have a child who regularly throws tantrums and can scream to the high heavens, at least with my t shirt showing I'm a childminder I get less disapproving looks from other parents lol.

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree they aren't the most flattering but to be honest they are comfortable to wear and I don't have to worry about pulling my top around until I'm comfy (if that makes sense?!)

tash 1
13-06-2012, 07:50 AM
It does work tash, I've had 2 enquiries just from my tshirts, on from the school & one from the nursery I collect & drop off at.

Bridey, that is funny! And to be honest, another good reason for them! I have a child who regularly throws tantrums and can scream to the high heavens, at least with my t shirt showing I'm a childminder I get less disapproving looks from other parents lol.
Maybe I will wear polo with channel scarf and jimmy choos lol:laughing:

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Maybe I will wear polo with channel scarf and jimmy choos lol:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Bridey
13-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Maybe get a t-shirt printed with an arrow on it saying "That one isn't mine"!

guest3
13-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Maybe get a t-shirt printed with an arrow on it saying "That one isn't mine"!

:laughing::laughing:

little stars ch
13-06-2012, 11:50 AM
i have my own fleece with little stars childminder on i love it and have comments about it too .... ive thought of getting my mindees tops too for when we go out to trips to zoo ect and to also use when we gule stick and paint saves their tops that mum and dad send them in :)

ChocolateChip
13-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a combo of polo shirts, fleeces and zip up hoodies with my logo embroidered on them but I don't feel it's a uniform as such. I am still a home from home setting but prefer to have something practical yet professional to put on and be able to concentrate on the kids instead of worrying about what I'm wearing. As for them not being flattering that all depends on what shape you are ;) I prefer to be covered up and not have my bulges showing in a tight Tshirt! :D
My tops are all in different colours and I wear them with jeans, combats, shorts etc. so not like I look like the same every day, actually one of my lo's used to like stroking my logo when he had his bottle and cuddles.
Wish I had a sense of style and was able to look good in anything- hats off to those who do- but I don't and as long as I look clean (mostly, lol!) and presentable and am comfy in what I'm wearing my looks aren't really my priority.

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a combo of polo shirts, fleeces and zip up hoodies with my logo embroidered on them but I don't feel it's a uniform as such. I am still a home from home setting but prefer to have something practical yet professional to put on and be able to concentrate on the kids instead of worrying about what I'm wearing. As for them not being flattering that all depends on what shape you are ;) I prefer to be covered up and not have my bulges showing in a tight Tshirt! :D
My tops are all in different colours and I wear them with jeans, combats, shorts etc. so not like I look like the same every day, actually one of my lo's used to like stroking my logo when he had his bottle and cuddles.
Wish I had a sense of style and was able to look good in anything- hats off to those who do- but I don't and as long as I look clean (mostly, lol!) and presentable and am comfy in what I'm wearing my looks aren't really my priority.

Exactly what I was trying to say :D

Little Bear
13-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I have since starting childminding 6 years ago worn polo shirts with my business name on, my assistants also wear the polo shirts with childminders assistant on them.

When we go on trips the children all wear the same colour t-shirt with the settings name on the front and on the back "I'm with my childminder" and my phone number on. Although my daughter has to be different and has "Childminders Daughter" on the back.

I have had many comments from parents and other childminders and all say what a fantastic idea. Ofsted said on their visit that it was excellent and it all goes towards safeguarding the children.

In easter I purchased caps for the children, It is so easy to head count when out on the park.

:clapping:

loocyloo
13-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I have since starting childminding 6 years ago worn polo shirts with my business name on, my assistants also wear the polo shirts with childminders assistant on them.

When we go on trips the children all wear the same colour t-shirt with the settings name on the front and on the back "I'm with my childminder" and my phone number on. Although my daughter has to be different and has "Childminders Daughter" on the back.

I have had many comments from parents and other childminders and all say what a fantastic idea. Ofsted said on their visit that it was excellent and it all goes towards safeguarding the children.

In easter I purchased caps for the children, It is so easy to head count when out on the park.

:clapping:

i like that idea. where did you get them from please?

we currently wear hi-viz when we are out, and i am finding more and more groups of children with hi-viz on ( which is a good thing for large numbers of children ) but its less easy to spot mine :rolleyes:

LittleLegsCM
13-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I do like the kids tshirts idea but that must cost quite a bit, doesn't it?! Just because they grow so quick and go through clothes so easy?

marleymoo
14-06-2012, 01:46 PM
if i have vacancies coming up (usually around June/July for September) then the promo clothes and car magnets come out,other than that it's not for me but i certainly don't see any wrong in it for others

LauraS
14-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Not my thing, I think I'd feel a prune in uniform. Each to their own, though :)

Bluebell
16-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I have t-shirts with my lion on and that I am a registered childminder on - all for the reasons as above - advertising, to look professional, so I have clothes that are for work so it doesn't matter if they get paint etc on.
I do feel a 'prune' wearing it to be honest and don't wear them that often. BUT I don't feel like its a 'uniform' because I am the only one who wears it. it is a blue t-shirt with a picture of a darker blue lion on it - my logo is drawn as a childs painting so its supposed to be fun. It's no different from just wearing jeans a t-shirt.
I was recently at an event where some childminders from a particular area were wearing group polo shirts - they looked smart, professional and stood out.

Little Bear
18-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I got my T-Shirts from a site called Logosrusltd.com. There are plenty of printing places. I get my childrens hoodies including printing for £12. T-Shirts I think are around £5

nikki thomson
18-06-2012, 07:04 PM

That's so funny, made me really chuckle. X

greenfields
18-06-2012, 09:30 PM
:laughing: :laughing:
I have been there: "this screamer isn't mine!" :laughing:

I'm split with the uniform. Advertising is good and it's just plain easier to throw it on at 6am in the morning...
But I don't want to resemble the local nursery. Not because I have anything against uniform in particular, but I am proud not to be a nursery and don't want to look as though I am a nursery wannabe, 'cause I'm not.

Maybe I could get the above as a small print on a t-shirt. :p

sweets
18-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I want a.t shirt that says

yes and they all have different fathers !

:laughing:

beachgirl29
02-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I got a uniform and regret it now as can get pretty worried if someone sees me and don't get the full picture or a person who just hates me and takes my details down to complain to ofsted :-( not happened yet but i do worry if it will as they seem to investigate any complaint they get even if it is parents who don't pay or just someone who takes a dislike to you and makes it up.