PDA

View Full Version : NNEB qualification.

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I know this is not really a childminding question but ....

I studied for and achieved my nneb in 1996, obviously as a childminder iv updated and done my eyes training and updated my safeguarding children when I needed to.

Iv got to give up childminding and would love to go back into schools but fear that my qualification is outdated, I know it's still classed as relevant as I checked it on the cwdc website.

I studied hard and have folders full of essays, dissertations, observations and all my notes from back then, and it was hard work.

One of the parents on the playground mentioned to another the other day that she had done a course online over the Easter holiday which qualifies her to level 3' which to be honest I found quite shocking especially after the 2 years training I did.

Just wondering if any body else thinks I would still get work it him a school with my old qualification ??

sarahjane
12-06-2012, 06:25 PM
My sister qualified as NNEB in 1985ish, she worked as a nanny for years mainly for the same family (she still does abit of housekeeping for them and the children are now 25 and 22!) Her main job now is as a teaching assistant in a local village school so I'm sure your qualification and experience will count for alot

tulip0803
12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
There has been some concern in the news recently about level 3 childcare qualifications that are not what they seem. Apparantly some companies are delivering level 3 childcare qualifications which are not worth the paper they are written on let alone what people have paid for them. A level 3 is the equivilant of an A level or NNEB and as such should take a similar amount of work.

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1126837/Childcare-courses-confuse-students-Level-3-status/

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/News/MostRead/1133870/Confusion-rife-Level-3-distance-learning-childcare-courses/

Your qualification is still valid an you also have plenty of experience which will all go in your favour. Good luck

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you lovelys !!

So I'm not on the scrap heap yet then !! Hehe x x

loocyloo
12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
i'm NNEB - qualified in 1989 ! its the equivilent to a level 3, but alot of schools/nurseries like the older NNEB qualified staff, as they feel it is a 'better' level 3, than a current level 3 !!! ( plus, by now, we've usually got a fair bit of experience! ;) )

i did the DHC 4/5yrs ago, and found it fascinating, but totally different to what the NNEB covered. i do think the NNEB was more in depth in the development/education side. but teh DHC was totally suited to childminding and up to date info! mind you, when i did my NNEB the Childrens Act didn't exist and neither did most things :D

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 08:13 PM
i'm NNEB - qualified in 1989 ! its the equivilent to a level 3, but alot of schools/nurseries like the older NNEB qualified staff, as they feel it is a 'better' level 3, than a current level 3 !!! ( plus, by now, we've usually got a fair bit of experience! ;) )

i did the DHC 4/5yrs ago, and found it fascinating, but totally different to what the NNEB covered. i do think the NNEB was more in depth in the development/education side. but teh DHC was totally suited to childminding and up to date info! mind you, when i did my NNEB the Childrens Act didn't exist and neither did most things :D

It certainly has changed ! I started working in 1997 and had never encountered SEN children, children with behaviour problems like ADHD ever. Never seen a child's statement even ! I'm only 33 and feel old ! We never had teaching assistants at secondary either.

It does worry me that you can get a nvq level 3 in 4 months without needing a work placement. I did my work placements everywhere, nurseries, school even on the wards at the hospital. I'm glad that the older qualifications are still being held in high regard over these that seem to be so easy to obtain nowadays. X

loocyloo
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
It certainly has changed ! I started working in 1997 and had never encountered SEN children, children with behaviour problems like ADHD ever. Never seen a child's statement even ! I'm only 33 and feel old ! We never had teaching assistants at secondary either.

It does worry me that you can get a nvq level 3 in 4 months without needing a work placement. I did my work placements everywhere, nurseries, school even on the wards at the hospital. I'm glad that the older qualifications are still being held in high regard over these that seem to be so easy to obtain nowadays. X

me too, but i'm sure these can't be 'full' level 3's, just modules of? i guess if whoever they apply for jobs with,look up the qualification, it will say the amount of work involved.

i loved my hospital placement :D i did do a couple of placements at 'special schools' nad a nursery for autistic children - that was very hard.

on the other hand ... writing observations came back very quickly for EYFS! did you use 'mary sheridan'? i still use that book to this day! :laughing:

sweets
12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Ive still got my 'mary sheridan' and my 'brain and martin' lol.

In my opinion NNEB is way above an nvq 3 ;)

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Mary Sheridan !!! That's a blast from the past !! Haven't got it any more but it was our bible at college, especially when having to reference her in the observations and add her to the bibliography in esays !!

Memories hey !! :D

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
me too, but i'm sure these can't be 'full' level 3's, just modules of? i guess if whoever they apply for jobs with,look up the qualification, it will say the amount of work involved.

i loved my hospital placement :D i did do a couple of placements at 'special schools' nad a nursery for autistic children - that was very hard.

on the other hand ... writing observations came back very quickly for EYFS! did you use 'mary sheridan'? i still use that book to this day! :laughing:

I did the neonatal ward, heartbreaking but worth it. Then they took me to the morgue and invites me to see an autopsy !!!!! :eek: I passed on that after seeing the body of an old lady. Very scary at 16. Xxx

sweets
12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
all the development stuff we learnt on NNEB was so much more 'relevent' than the silly EYFS. Observations were done in a lot more depth but were done for a reason and not just for the sake of doing them and linking! :cool:

loobyloo168
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
all the development stuff we learnt on NNEB was so much more 'relevent' than the silly EYFS. Observations were done in a lot more depth but were done for a reason and not just for the sake of doing them and linking! :cool:
Did you have to evaluate using the PIES system that changes to SPIES !

You know thinking about it there's I reason I can't fall back into working in a school after 14 years !! Thanks for bringing all these memories back, it's given me my confidence back !! :clapping: xx

pinky33
12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I think ladies you will find its Mary D Sheridan lol ;)

I qualified in 95' and very proud of my nneb :)

JCrakers
13-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I did NNEB in 1994 and Ive often wondered if its outdated :( but I'm glad its still recognised as it was 2 full years of hard work. My brother has just finished his level 3 and he did it in about 3 months...I was shocked.

I did placements in a school, nursery and a home (which I loved) and observations had to be more than 1 side of an A4
I enjoyed the hands on stuff too where we did different paintings and crafts. I got a distinction for that :D

Joda
13-06-2012, 11:52 AM

I still use my Mary Sheridan book! I find it a lot more useful than the EYFS grids.
I qualified as a NNEB in 1990 and then when I started childminding 5 years ago funding became available to complete NVQ3 CCLD which I passed. When I had my inspection a few months ago, the inspector wanted to know why I'd 'wasted my time' completing the NVQ3 when I'd already got my NNEB.

loocyloo
13-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Did you have to evaluate using the PIES system that changes to SPIES !

xx

:D its only recently that i've stopped thinking 'PIES' and now think of the EYFS areas!

pinky33
13-06-2012, 12:25 PM
We had piles

Smiley
13-06-2012, 12:35 PM
SPICE was also used a few years ago :)

ziggy
13-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I completed my NNEB in 1998 and now wonder why i bothered, as gaining a NVQ level 3 seems so much easier and quicker!!!!

I have 30yrs experience in childcare ( went back to college as a mature student). I've kept up to date by doing behaviour management training, SEN, first aid etc etc and now feel it was all a waste of time and effort

Last week i received a letter (after a interview for a level 2 nursery assistant post) to be told I hadnt got the job as the 'criteria had been raised'. So going by that letter, my NNEB and 30 yrs experience (including being deputy manager of a large day nursery) is completely worth less

Sorry if i sound bitter but strangely enough, I am!!!!