PDA

View Full Version : Random knocks at the door!

notts
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
This may be usual practice for you but its all new ground to me and while interest is great, I'm not sure I like people randomly coming to the door to discuss childcare.

I've had 3 randomers recently. 1 I couldn't answer as it was 6.30pm on a Friday evening and I had just got out of the bath, unwell, in pj's, no bra and male! 1 I chatted to but couldn't meet her ratio wise and then today's, lovely woman and child (child got my own daughter to get him an ice cream out the freezer :D so comfortable!) came in for an hour, she doesn't have a job but hopefully something for the future but the place wasn't as tidy as I'd have liked and my Son was lunching, in front of the kitchen tv :laughing: she seemed really happy with us though.

Anyway, how do you feel about people just coming to the door? I'm prepared 98% of the time but don't feel 100% confident if for example, I haven't just hoovered or picked toys up or if (as i'm not yet minding) cleaning up, ironing or have washing out. I also feel it a massive invasion on my privacy and like I'm a shop window.

But I suppose I am touting for business. A vacancy board outside, signs on my car. Technically, I shoudl always be prepared. what do you think?

loocyloo
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
:eek: wow!

i've never had anyone knock on my door! your advertising must be going well :)

sarah707
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I had someone knock last week and it's the first time ever it's happened to me!!

I didn't ask them in - I offered them an appointment after explaining I was focussing on the children as I would if it was their child who was here... they were fine with that and came back another day when I was ready for them.

Maybe have a pad by the door to take their details and get back to them when the children have gone home :D

BuggsieMoo
12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I only arrange visits when I feel it is a suitable time and like Sarah says when I can focus on them and not have to worry about the children in my care. Ive never had a 'cold' caller but I would do as Sarah said and keep a pad by the door and make arrangements to come back when YOU are good to see them. However, can you give us all your tips on advertising - its clearly working!! :clapping:

BucksCM
12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
As I was reading it I was thinking "how come they have your address?" then got to the end and realised!
Well...seeing that you have a sign at the gate saying vacancies, then expect people to knock.
I, personally, couldn't do it. I much prefer a phone call or an email.

rickysmiths
12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
:eek: I have never had anyone just knock on the door do you have an advert on your car or in your front garden?

charleyfarley
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I've had one person knock on the door but she did know me and she didn't get invited in (because I knew her :laughing::blush:)

Sorry I had another knock too and I was cleaning, looked right state but still got to care for the child

I like to make an appointment that suits us both and that way I should be totally prepared and not in my rubber gloves :laughing:

Carol xx

~Grasshopper~
12-06-2012, 07:43 PM
never had a random knock but i keep getting the strangest phone calls lol.

the other night at 9.30pm i got a man asking how about accredited childminders and wanted me to explain why his childminder couldnt claim the free 15hours :rolleyes:.

last night i had a lady whose own daughter had just qualified as a teacher and started her first job at a school near me, and found out she is pregnant. so what did i think nursery or childminder. erm childminder :laughing:. i gave her some advice but said she would be better calling round nearer the time (in about 2 years lol). i was dishing up dinner and couldnt get her off the phone lol.

xx

notts
12-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh eck I'm definetly a minority!!! :laughing: If I can work out how to upload a picture I'll pop one on of my house with the advertising! It's just a sign on the tree and one on my car, noticeable but subtle.

I think you are right, when I am actually minding, I won't be able to just drop and discuss so I'll have to arrange an appointment which in turn supports my safeguarding policy etc. Until then, I just think I got to run with it, however much I don't like it!

re advertising, alongside the house, I've door dropped the estate that I live on so I guess it's them or them that's drove by that see and call. I don't advertise my address anywhere (apart from Yell, which I'm not comfortable with but I've had leads) so it has to be drive bys. Personally i'd have taken my number/website from it and rang/emailed but not everyone so subtle! Maybe they like the idea of 'dropping on unexpected'.

(there is also a CM next door but one so word of mouth possibly too)

right out to work out that picture add..

notts
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mosslyn/DSC04392.jpg

Dragonfly
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
yes i have had 2 people knock at my door and i dont advertise.Its from word of mouth.But to be honest I would prefer Not to have them knock at my door, puts you on the spot.

Maza
12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I had a random knock on the door but it was a mum whose face I recognised from playgroups and so I let her in (because for once my house was tidy!) In future I would either give them my details and get them to email me their requirements and arrange a date at a mutually convenient time, or take their details and email them my vacancies etc. Good luck!

chez
12-06-2012, 08:38 PM

wow! looks fab but no wonder people are coming to your door it does kinda scream pop in. :D

notts
12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
wow! looks fab but no wonder people are coming to your door it does kinda scream pop in

:laughing: That's what I mean. I'm kind of saying I'm vacant!!!! but then moaning about the knocks. Can't have it both ways huh?

The sign will come down when I have a client (and even if I don't will come down temporarily)

charleyfarley
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM

I have those adverts on my car, which is also the same car as you lol or the same chasis.

Carol xx

christine e
12-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Think I would be making another little sign 'by appointment only' bit like what you see on house 'for sale' boards:laughing:

notts
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I have those adverts on my car, which is also the same car as you lol or the same chasis.

Carol xx

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Think I would be making another little sign 'by appointment only' bit like what you see on house 'for sale' boards

or one of those 'cold callers not welcome' :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Smiley
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Not wanting to sound too negative :(
Just be aware that some local authority planning departments may suggest you need planning permission as you are advertising your business with a sign.

miffy
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Think I would be making another little sign 'by appointment only' bit like what you see on house 'for sale' boards:laughing:

I think that's a good idea too! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

notts
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Not wanting to sound too negative
Just be aware that some local authority planning departments may suggest you need planning permission as you are advertising your business with a sign.

ooo didn't know that :blush:

rickysmiths
12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Gosh I hate to say this but how horrible. :blush:

I would hate to have a sign like that in the front garden of my home because it is my home I am not a Nursery or institution.

I think you will find that in a Residential area unless you have Planning Permission that changes the use of your home from 'Domestic' to 'Business' and have permission to have a sign up you need to be careful. Also a neighbour could complain to your local council as well.

I would also have Safeguarding Issues with a sign like that outside adverting that I have small children in the house to strangers driving past. It is different if you near neighbours know but all and sundry? I wouldn't feel very secure being on my own.

Sorry.

I have just been on your webb site, address on your sign for all to see and as a burgler I now know roughly at what times of the day your house is likely to be empty!
I also know your name your dh name your childrens names and how old they are how long you have lived in your present house. This is all information that is useful for identity fraud. I know there is a lot of information out there and this had been discussed on her before. I wouldn't be wanting this kind of information about my family out on a public web site. I was told off when I questioned this sort of thing before and a few members said oh yes well I can find all that info about you but they actually couldn't when it got down to it. They the ones that knew my name found my FIS listing but that was the extent of it. I must say when my children were small I always got Ofsted to leave their ages off my inspection report as well as it is now ones business unless I tell them and it is my children's right to have their privacy preserved.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now.

caz3007
13-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I agree with you Ricky, I dont advertise to all and sundry that I am a childminder because it worries me that it makes me, my family and the children I care for vulnerable. I do tell people I meet in the park that I am a childminder but not my actual address, would pass on my mobile number if anyone was interested.

I have never had someone knocking my door, but have been chased up the road :laughing: but that was someone who lives on my school run and knew I was a minder cos of all the after schoolies I used to have x

I am very careful about the information about my own son that I have out there in the public domain and only put photos of him on FB that family and close friends can access

Ripeberry
13-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Maybe you should put on the board outside. 'Visits by appointment only' Don't think I could stand people knocking on my door all hours of the day/evening and weekends! :eek:

rickysmiths
13-06-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree with you Ricky, I dont advertise to all and sundry that I am a childminder because it worries me that it makes me, my family and the children I care for vulnerable. I do tell people I meet in the park that I am a childminder but not my actual address, would pass on my mobile number if anyone was interested.

I have never had someone knocking my door, but have been chased up the road :laughing: but that was someone who lives on my school run and knew I was a minder cos of all the after schoolies I used to have x

I am very careful about the information about my own son that I have out there in the public domain and only put photos of him on FB that family and close friends can access

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I carry cards which have my mobile and email on but not my address.

Bridey
13-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I carry cards which have my mobile and email on but not my address.

Me too - none of my literature has my address on it. This is not only to protect my home and my mindees but also to stop people taking my Ofsted number from my online report and claiming tax credits.

notts
13-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Well thank you for your useful feedback. A real confidence boost that. Not.

I am merely trying to get a client. Once I have one, I won't have a sign. There will be no need. My Ofsted inspector was happy with my acquisition strategy regardless.

I find your comments about my 'own' not minded childrens safety both unnecessary and irrelevant.

Mouse
13-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I once had a dad turn up at my door at 8am with his 2 children asking if I could have them that day! I was really annoyed because another cm had given him my address.

I don't advertise the fact I am childminding here. And I certainly wouldn't let cold callers in while I am working. I don't invite any potential clients round unless I have their address & contact details and we have spoken on the phone. Even then the first visit is always done outside of working hours. I don't have unknown people here when I have minded children present.

VINASOL
13-06-2012, 11:11 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

or one of those 'cold callers not welcome' :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I put 'no cold callers' on my door and had someone knock on my door and say "I'm not cold"....grrrrrr :blush:

caz3007
13-06-2012, 11:21 AM

I am merely trying to get a client. Once I have one, I won't have a sign. There will be no need. My Ofsted inspector was happy with my acquisition strategy regardless.

I find your comments about my 'own' not minded childrens safety both unnecessary and irrelevant.

I think you asked for opinions and we are all entitled to our opinions. I dont want to advertise so blatantly that I have young children in the house, but I am not saying its wrong, its your choice. But to be honest your sign is an invitation to people to knock on your door.

I wouldnt like it, often on a sat morning I do the housework in my pj's with birds nest hair and if someone knocked my door, I wouldnt get the work, would scare them :laughing:

Mouse
13-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Many years ago there was an incident in our area of people posing as social workers calling at homes and trying to gain access to the children. They mainly targetted parents, but did actually call at a childminder's house as well. It's possibly an over-reaction to a one off situation, but since then I have always been very wary of advertising the fact that this house is used for childminding. Obviously people around here know I childmind, but complete strangers don't.

If you are happy with your advertising, then stick with it. It's obviously getting people interested enough to knock at your door. Perhaps just be wary of inviting them into your house without really knowing who they are. I would take a phone number and tell them you will give them a ring at a more convenient time. Perhaps have your leaflet by the door so they can have a copy of that to read before you phone :thumbsup:

Baildon bears
13-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow I think your sign looks fab:), and very inviting, I would think also this is the reason you are getting people dropping in. I would be happy for people to call as long as it was not at a bad time, I don't do airs and graces, I am what I am and if people don't like my setting then that up to them:laughing:. Thinks its a fab way of getting work when you start out, I would leave it up until someone tells you to take it down, its not harming anyone, but thats just my opinion:D

pinkellifun
13-06-2012, 12:22 PM
ooo didn't know that :blush:

I had a look into this and in my area a sign can be 3ft by 2ft (I think, can't remember for definite now) and not have to have planning permission. I found this info out on the council website. I will say though that I had to go through a fairly large document to find out that tiny piece of info so it might be better to ring them and ask.

HTH

rickysmiths
13-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Many years ago there was an incident in our area of people posing as social workers calling at homes and trying to gain access to the children. They mainly targetted parents, but did actually call at a childminder's house as well. It's possibly an over-reaction to a one off situation, but since then I have always been very wary of advertising the fact that this house is used for childminding. Obviously people around here know I childmind, but complete strangers don't.

If you are happy with your advertising, then stick with it. It's obviously getting people interested enough to knock at your door. Perhaps just be wary of inviting them into your house without really knowing who they are. I would take a phone number and tell them you will give them a ring at a more convenient time. Perhaps have your leaflet by the door so they can have a copy of that to read before you phone :thumbsup:

This is one of the reasons I choose not to advertise with a sign or stickers on my car either. I don't even have a web site. I certainly don't want to put the names and ages of my children on a web site but of course that is my own choice. You just never know who is out there and I am very conscious of being in the house on my own with other peoples children.

It is for this reason as well that I never interview new families for the first time when I am childminding. If they then want to come when I am minding fine.

rickysmiths
13-06-2012, 12:32 PM

I sorry you feel upset by my comments. I was just expressing how I feel and pointing out a couple of possible areas that might cause a problem in the future for you.

notts
13-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I had a look into this and in my area a sign can be 3ft by 2ft (I think, can't remember for definite now) and not have to have planning permission. I found this info out on the council website. I will say though that I had to go through a fairly large document to find out that tiny piece of info so it might be better to ring them and ask.

You are right, good work. My sign is smaller and my house is a business address regardless but you are right in your investigations :thumbsup:

My neighbour and a lady around the corner are both CM's. Part of the thinking behind my sign is to advertise to families using/visiting/enquiring at their houses, an awareness generator.

I'm happy with what information I share about my family and how I market it, even if random callers are annoying. It's hopefully going to get me my first client, when I'll no longer need it and my whole strategy will change - ie I will be actually minding children so won't accept random visits, strangers into my setting, exposing them to minded children.

It is my choice with my own children who I talk to/if I talk to them but when I'm minding, my safeguarding policy is in full swing which wouldn't allow this. For my own family purposes mind, I'm a good judge of character, and Mum and Mum always knows best, I would never put me or my children at risk and if all else fails, I have a great big dog :D