PDA

View Full Version : Phonics Screening

Helen Dempster
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi all

My DS had a letter in his bag from school today (he's in Year 1), saying they are all having a phonics screening next week. They have 40 real and pseudo words which they have to use their phonic skills to read. The pseudo words will be shown to children alongside pics of imaginary creatures. They have between 4 and 9 mins to complete it and it is going to be marked.

Have any of you had any experience with this, as I would like my son to be able to have a little practice ahead of the test, but there's no examples given.

Thanks everyone!

JulieA
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry H can't offer any advice I this is quite a new initiative - and I only know about it as we had the same letter in our bag from my DS who is also in Year 1. I think there was a website mentioned on the letter and I will dig it out in a minute when I have got the Little Darlings (note the sarcasm!) back in to bed!

JulieA
11-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Ok Helen I have this if any good to you: http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/year%201%20phonics%20sample%20materials.pdf for examples of the material used in the screening

Also look at www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/pedagogy/phonics for general information about the screening process

Jules

loocyloo
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
i was helping in school this morning, and the teacher was talking about having to do phonics screening next week.

she does quite alot of getting the children to put together a selection of letters/phonemes/digraphs etc and then to 'read' their word, and was saying it could be quite good fun!

sarah707
11-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I really hope the teachers make it fun... it's so young to be tested and potentially fail :(

miffy
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
So is screening the new word for testing? :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

sarah c
11-06-2012, 10:02 PM
ive never heard of it and my daughter is in year one but i will keep my ears open about it

JulieA
12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
It only came into existence last year and is a Government run assessment for Year One, and it states on the Dept of Education website that this years assessment will be done week commencing 18th June so I assume this means nationwide.