PDA

View Full Version : Charging whilst parent is on maternity x

Jods
11-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I did do several searches prior to posting this but could not quite find the answer I am looking for, so thought I would ask you lovely lot :)

I have 2 children (cpousins) 4 days a week and an elder brother 1 after school and in the holidays x

1 of the parents are expecting, they are happy to keep me and I will be miding for both and cousins (numbers all fine so not a question about variation here!!)

my problem is what to charge parents, I receive vouchers for F at the moment and the parents currently pay for the top up as it were, whilst on maternity leave they are happy to keep LO with me for the amount they can claim for which is roughly 1/3 - however its not financially viable for me x

Once the baby arrives and is in my care things will be better, but its going to be 6mths (can I suck it up that long), I am lucky as get on really well with Lo's parents (and LO lol!), and she is due for maternity in Aug, this week we will be chatting about things and finalising dates fees etc, what do you do ?

I dont want to muck with my in the day numbers, and an after schoolie would fill the void - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm brain melt tbh x

The Juggler
11-06-2012, 01:17 PM
sorry hon, from your post I couldn't see from your post whether mum had indicated her plans during maternity leave.

Depending on how many days child attends now, I would say offer her to drop to 75% of hours or fees.

i.e. i had a child who came 4 days, mum wanted to drop to 2 days during mat. leave but I couldn't afford this, so we agreed on 3 days. I made back the day I lost, when she came back as I had a variation for 4 children for her baby sibling.

However, you need to tell her what you can afford to do. Have a think first what works for you, then ask her what she is thinking of doing and maybe you can reach a compromise. :thumbsup:

Jods
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
sorry babbled post, thanks for trying to answer it :blush:

Mum is happy for the child to stay with me for as many hours as the vouchers will give, and then when the second child is 6 months she will be returning to work and I will have both, its just the threshold for me to be viable wont be met x (does that make more sense (she hopes)) x

blue bear
11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
So if I have it right mum has asked you to keep lo's place and also one for baby, to keep these paces she is willing to pay and use a third of the time used now for one child.

That is an awful drop and 6 months keeping one place open no fee and another at third fee would be impossible for me.

Can you get a temporary child to cover this time frame?

I usually charge full for current lo unless I can fill with a temp contract en dont charge parent for the hours used by temp contract

You need to sit down with parent and tell them how things are and come to some sort of compromise or you will have to replace them after all you can't live on fresh air.

Goatgirl
11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi,
Sorry, found the details of your post hard to understand too :blush:

I would just do some sums and be honest about how much you can accept as a retainer, or even if you can afford to do it... Tricky without knowing what else would come along in the meantime! Its a long time and with the best will in the world, plans can change :rolleyes:

I had 2 parents go on maternity last summer leaving me with barely any income for about 7 months: neither could afford to pay a retainer but I still took children to school for one of them. Got all the children back plus baby siblings in January along with a variation for 2 under ones and 4 under 5s, 2 days a week as I had taken on a little one in the meantime (couldn't afford to turn the work down).

Don't think I've been much help, sorry. Good luck with your decision, hope it works out :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

The Juggler
11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
sorry hon, having re-read your post now I see the info was there all the time :blush::blush:

well I certainly coudln't drop to 1/3 of income during mat leave. I would struggle on half in fact. If it's not viable for you finanically you have to say no hon.

Tell her what you could afford (but bear in mind she may extend mat leave and that would leave you struggling longer).

could she maybe top up to at least half during her maternity leave?