PDA

View Full Version : Wow what a wet day we are having

kel1983
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Roads are flooded and its still raining very hard. Children have pretty much played with every toy going. We have built a den and they have pullled it all down again. We have read most the book box.

Roll on nap time this afternoon.

What are you all up to today?

rickysmiths
11-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Its the same here. Took ds to school this morning most of the drive is along single track roads and there were bits flooded that in 8 years I have not seen flooded before. It hammered down last night and it had rained on and off all day.

My only lo is asleep now. He always conks out early on a Monday and sleeps for hours :rolleyes:

caz3007
11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Our town is pretty much cut off. Its not looking like its going to stop either

Chimps Childminding
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Its lousy here too!! Only 1 mindee today (2 1/2) once I had taken schoolie! She too has had everything out, made father's day card, coloured, played with playdough, and has just said she's tired and needs her dummy!! Mum isn't keen on her sleeping during the day, but its only 1 oclock and she has been poorly, so hoping it won't be too much of a problem!!

Glad I haven't got to do school pick up later!! Its not stopped raining all day :angry: Do you think we will ever get a summer :rolleyes:

Ripeberry
11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Horrendous! Was only supposed to have the little 1yr old today as the other mindee is on holiday and the 1yr old's brother normaly goes to pre-school am.
Thought I would have a quiet morning.:rolleyes:
No of course not! The pre-school was closed so had to have the 3yr old brother and then we tried to find somewhere to go.
No groups open around us on Mondays and we went to two soft plays that were filled to capacity.
Ended up going around a local Tesco Extra but made it educational, looking at all the fruit and veg and looking at other things and talking about where meat came from.
And going up and down lifts!
Had fun in the end.:cool:

caz3007
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
our school closed early and hubby is picking up ds. Only one mindie here but her mum is going to struggle to get here by the sounds of things, so can see a late night, and its our anniversary....oh well as long as mum is safe

my older son went on his motorbike to the next town 6 miles away and took him an hour and a half, he went part way via the fields and said some of the roads the water was up to his shins, luckily a police bike flagged him to follow him through the water

hectors house
11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Sure I have read somewhere that from Sept Ofsted say the children have to go outside every day, regardless of the weather - to play in garden or if you haven't got garden you have to take them to the park or for a walk! Who would want to play outside in this weather?

Can anyone tell me where I read this info and I was telling another childminder and can't remember where I saw it?

Ripeberry
11-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Sure I have read somewhere that from Sept Ofsted say the children have to go outside every day, regardless of the weather - to play in garden or if you haven't got garden you have to take them to the park or for a walk! Who would want to play outside in this weather?

Can anyone tell me where I read this info and I was telling another childminder and can't remember where I saw it?

One day of NOT playing in the garden or park won't hurt...how would they know anyway? I use my own judgement and if its too wet and the parents don't provide the correct clothing or spares then no they can't go out and get soaking wet :rolleyes:

The Juggler
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
same here, not even a school run to break the cabin fever :panic:

we made it out in teh garden for 10 mins between downpours and a walk in the drizzle to the train line and back for some fresh air but a horrible day :panic::panic:

caz3007
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
We certainly couldnt go out today, even couldnt do the afternoon school run, it would have been water wading here, not puddle jumping :D

kel1983
11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
We have had non stop rain and its pretty heavy. The children would have been soaked in minutes even with rain suits and wellies. I think we would have had social services on our doorstep if we forced the children to play outside in this.

Dragonfly
11-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Must say mad one here went out for long (and I mean long walk) with another childminder last Friday drizzly and windy farm tracks etc and had a picnic in a barn that is for storing tractors etc in, open fronted so looking across the fields.The children really enjoyed it apart from the eldest one nearly 14 years, who said "if childminder x has another good idea of going for a hike in this weather tell her we have something else on" :laughing::laughing:.
I dont let bad weather stop me going out but I don't really like being told we Have to go out do you?.

guest3
11-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Goodness where are you all? I've had a day off today but in Stockport where I live, it's been fine all day! I'ts not what you call summery but at least I've kept dry!

caz3007
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I dont mind the rain and drizzle, but its the flooding we have here today that I draw the line at :D Its just a little bit dangerous :D

I am on the South Coast, we had a month of rain in one day

md0u0131
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
it's been ok here - was going to moan about half of the railway museum being shut but now I'm glad we're not flooded at least!

guest3
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Manchester always gets a bad press for being really wet but we don't seem to have it half as bad as other parts of the country ;)

loocyloo
11-06-2012, 07:10 PM
its been ok here too , sorry to hear that so mnay of you are having so much rain.

its just been cold and overcast.

mushpea
11-06-2012, 07:27 PM
its been drizzly with heavyer showers all day here too but no real flooding,, I sent the kids out in the drizzle to play just before lunch as they seriously needed the fresh air, they had great fun playing with the wet sand making sand pies and splashing in puddles, i wouldnt go out in heavy rain but in the drizzle or light rain we always go for walks either round the local area or up to the woods, I find the kids are cranky if they stay in all day

kel1983
11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
I dont mind the rain and drizzle, but its the flooding we have here today that I draw the line at :D Its just a little bit dangerous :D

I am on the South Coast, we had a month of rain in one day

Im on the South coast too. In west sussex. Pretty bad flooding here.

caz3007
11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Im on the South coast too. In west sussex. Pretty bad flooding here.

I am too, bet you arent far from me. I live near the pink pub, if you are fairly local, you will know where I mean :D

kel1983
11-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I am too, bet you arent far from me. I live near the pink pub, if you are fairly local, you will know where I mean :D

Yes I know where you are. and yes hear it is pretty bad there. Im in Chi

caz3007
11-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Yes I know where you are. and yes hear it is pretty bad there. Im in Chi

It is bad there, the pink pub is flooded. most of the town was cut off but its stopped raining now. Hubby has to go in tomorrow in wellies and old clothes as they were fighting to sweep the water out of his work, but it wasnt working.

We are lucky cos we must be a little higher, but friends have had water in their homes, which is awful.

I live close to the fire station and hear the engines go out and they have been called out so many times today, went out only a little while ago. Just hope everyone keeps safe

Trouble
11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Big hugs to all those who are and have have flooding up here we are still sorting out the devestation from when it happened here

caz3007
11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Big hugs to all those who are and have have flooding up here we are still sorting out the devestation from when it happened here

I think so far we have been very lucky in comparison to other areas that have flooded in the past, but its still upsetting and worrying when it happens for everyone x

Trouble
11-06-2012, 08:15 PM
not nice at all and it happens so fast:panic:

kel1983
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I think so far we have been very lucky in comparison to other areas that have flooded in the past, but its still upsetting and worrying when it happens for everyone x

I have seen a lot of photos of the area on Facebook this evening. So sad for those its affected. We have had bad floods in chi in the past but this time its areas that havent flooded before.

My bro headed your way Caz about an hour and half ago. Not sure if he got there ok.

caz3007
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I have seen a lot of photos of the area on Facebook this evening. So sad for those its affected. We have had bad floods in chi in the past but this time its areas that havent flooded before.

My bro headed your way Caz about an hour and half ago. Not sure if he got there ok.

mindies mum got through from Chi on back roads tonight and only took her an hour, was shocked when she knocked on the door as had heard others coming along the main road took 4 hours from the hospital to here. At least its stopped now so has time to go down hopefully, before the next lot