PDA

View Full Version : Information

carol2310
10-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I am thinking about becoming a childminder and i would like it if people would give me as much info on getting started as possible also how much would you charge and also how to make the house save enough for children and how does parents feel about the childminder having dogs when looking after children?

sprinkles
10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Some people actively look for a minder with pets. I've got two cats and two dogs and parents will be made fully aware of this at first point of enquiry - no point in wasting theirs and my own time if they don't want a minder with pets.

You need to be able to demonstrate the health and safety aspect of pets around children though.

moggy
10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I am thinking about becoming a childminder and i would like it if people would give me as much info on getting started as possible also how much would you charge and also how to make the house save enough for children and how does parents feel about the childminder having dogs when looking after children?

Info on getting started- speak to your Family Info Service at your local authority to see what the procedure is in your area, there should be an introduction course of a couple of short sessions (free or small charge) where there tell you all about it.

How much to charge- all depends on your area, ask at the introduction course what the rates are in your area or call a few local minders and ask! Can be from £3.50-£5.50, also all depends on what you include- food? nappies? outings? etc. everyone as their own way of doing it.

how to make the house save enough for children- depends on the age of the children, do you have children yourself? Most of us have stair gates and you need to think about the security of the garden (broken fences, children getting out, ponds etc) if you have one. And the common sense things like chemicals out of sight and out of reach etc.

As for dogs: many minders do have dogs, some parents would not like it (I wouldn't if I was using a minder but then I am not a doggy person) but many parents probably love the idea. You just have to make sure you have procedures in place to keep children way from dog food etc and allow both the dog and the children to have their own separate space- it might not just be parents who have issues with dogs- my little mindees are very nervous of dogs.