PDA

View Full Version : Playroom ideas

pinkellifun
10-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Ever since I decided to begin childminding, I have been trying to get my conservatory/playroom to look how I want it to. I'm slowly getting there but just need a few more finishing touches I think.

I have attached some photos (hopefully!) of what it looks like now. The carpet I was thinking of changing to the foam playmats you can get from Tesco and the games that are on the floor in front of the doors are going on two shelves on the wall when they have been put up. The curtain is temporary but will be up properly soon.

I would like to have some posters or something but not sure what ones to choose.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips or changes they would make?

lulubelle
10-06-2012, 12:38 PM
looks good, i would label the boxes as i have heard ofsted really like this. (tho i find it makes my house look like a nursery!)

watgem
10-06-2012, 12:59 PM
how about having the foam mats round the edges of the floor and keeping the rug in the middle? it might save some pennies? And maybe put children's work up in displays rather than having posters?Or get the children to help you make posters?xxx

VeggieSausage
10-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes I was going to suggest a notice board with children's work and seasonal displays. Looks nice, lucky to have a playroom overlooking the garden :)

mummyMia
10-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I would love to have a playroom like! Eeek!!! :eek: to all the puzzles/games that you have out on the shelf. What age are the children? My toddlers would pull all of those down and open every single box and make a massive mess! I put all my puzzles/games a bit higher up and let them choose one or two at a time.

pinkellifun
10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I would love to have a playroom like! Eeek!!! :eek: to all the puzzles/games that you have out on the shelf. What age are the children? My toddlers would pull all of those down and open every single box and make a massive mess! I put all my puzzles/games a bit higher up and let them choose one or two at a time.

I literally sorted them out this morning and wasn't sure what to put out and what not. At the moment, I don't have any mindees (:(). I put the puzzles for younger mindees on the lower shelves as I thought they would like being able to get them. Is that not a good idea then? What would you suggest to being accessible all the time to younger children then?

moggy
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I try to keep the toys limited as it can be too overwhelming to have an enormous choice (how i feel at the supermarket!) So I keep half in the garage and rotate. I keep something out of reach and swap them round, again to provide some variation. When an 'old' toy is brought out after a period away it get a lot of new interest where as if everything is available all the time they get bored of it all.
I was interested in an experiment a while ago where a play setting removed all the toys and the children played with just boxes or chairs or something, can lead to very imaginative play. I am slowly getting rid of our plastic toys and just having a few quality wooden toys (castle, farm, train track, garage, blocks, natural materials like pine cones etc). I do not have jigsaws or boxed games in babies' reach, they are a bit higher up the shelf to save them being trashed/eaten. But once you have mindees you can adjust to suit their age/stage and preferences. Babies here can reach books, blocks, musical instruments, wooden vehicles, train track, 2 wooden baby toys and a general toy box I pull out for them with dolls, soft toys etc in..

karensmart4
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Your playroom looks great :thumbsup:

I would put puzzles and games out of reach and keep peg board puzzles and small interlocking ones lower down.

I'm afraid Ofsted are a pain about all drawers and boxes having to be labelled with a picture and text of what's inside.... even on see through boxes !!

Personally I wouldn't have swords...... leads to too much rough play (party pooper I know) :)

Also as someone else say's, I would thin it all down a bit if you have any storage space and rotate every couple of months or so.

You can get some lovely wall/window stickers from ebay to go on display if you have room, I also like to put photo's of the children at work/play on my walls with a little caption under each one.

Good luck with your minding.... I am in my 10th year and wouldn't dream of doing anything else (most of the time) :thumbsup:

blue bear
10-06-2012, 03:51 PM
once you get children in it will all change as you meet their individual interests. Yes put your games up on shelves and I'd take photos of the things in boxes, laminate them and put them inside the boxes at the front, that way children know which goes in each box and you can take them away at weekends and if you change the contents.
My walls are mostly covered in childrens pieces of work and some posters that are photos of the children i mind, im not keen on commercial posters in my home, we see enough of these at children centres.
It looks really inviting and you have obviously put alot of work into it.:jump for joy:

pinkellifun
10-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm going to try and take on board what you're saying and as such will see whether I can find room to store some toys so i can rotate every now and again (thanks moggy and karensmart4). I will get my ds to make some pictures so I can put them up for the timebeing until I get some from other children. I will take pictures for the boxes (thanks fifi).

I must admit when I first sorted out all the toys (and by the way my ds is very spoilt as all these toys were once his!:blush:) I thought there might be too many so I'm glad you've come back with the same.

Thank you!:)

mushpea
10-06-2012, 05:19 PM
i tried bringing in all the toys but they just got most of them out then never really played with them so now i just bring in one set of draws at a time, it seems the less they have the more they play with them I also put more indoor toys outdoors for them now the weather is nice.
Its a lovley looking play room though, I also have the abc foam mats from argos, 2 packs for £15 they cover quite a large area.

singingcactus
10-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Like others I only have a small percentage of my toys out right now. Although with previous kids I have been able to have loads more out. It really does depend on the group dynamic you have at any given time. Just looking at your current set up with my current kids in mind brought me out in a cold sweat lol.
I have a big bin full of swords though and all the kids are great with them, so it really does depend on the group you have again. I have just added four new sabres to my mix which the kids will get to see tomorrow.
I think the best way to approach your setup, until you know your kids, is to decide how you will feel if everything you have out gets dumped into the middle of the room at the same time lol. Dumpers are relentless, so don't think you will just be able to watch them and stop them....they will triumph :laughing:

lisa1968
10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I literally sorted them out this morning and wasn't sure what to put out and what not. At the moment, I don't have any mindees (:(). I put the puzzles for younger mindees on the lower shelves as I thought they would like being able to get them. Is that not a good idea then? What would you suggest to being accessible all the time to younger children then?

Looks like my conservatory!!
At my last inspection Ofsted were impressed that I'd stored toys and resourses according to the childrens ages and development-so,as I have a floor to ceiling shelving unit that hubby made,I've got all the baby/toddler stuff down low then store the other stuff accordingly.I bought a book rack-will try to add piccy-from NES Arnold which hubby adapted to fit to the wall(it wasnt expensive-about £25) which has been fab;I rotate my books accordingly-I try to include some that relate to any themes we may be covering-and I put the baby/toddler books down low.The rack makes the books more accessible than putting them on a shelf and the children are more attracted to them as they can see the front covers properly.
Always display samples of work and,with regards to posters,local libraries may see=ll some or you could make your own.Collage pictures showing different cultures etc are cheap and easy if you use old magazines.

I've been minding for 13 years and i love it but Im always looking for new ideas.
Good luck :thumbsup:

loocyloo
10-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Like others I only have a small percentage of my toys out right now. Although with previous kids I have been able to have loads more out. It really does depend on the group dynamic you have at any given time. Just looking at your current set up with my current kids in mind brought me out in a cold sweat lol.
I have a big bin full of swords though and all the kids are great with them, so it really does depend on the group you have again. I have just added four new sabres to my mix which the kids will get to see tomorrow.
I think the best way to approach your setup, until you know your kids, is to decide how you will feel if everything you have out gets dumped into the middle of the room at the same time lol. Dumpers are relentless, so don't think you will just be able to watch them and stop them....they will triumph :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: i have a 'dumper' :laughing: she is fine as long as i am on top of her, but turn my back to talk to another child and WOW! its like a hurricane has been through the room! i also have a 15mth old, who is on the verge of being a 'dumper', but i am hoping ( ;) ) i may just about manage to train her not to!