PDA

View Full Version : Side by side or Tandem?

melco
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on whether you find it easier with side by side double buggy or tandem. I have side by side at the moment which I am selling to get tandem instead, but some people have told me its not a good idea. What does anyone else think.

Thanks

melco

funemnx
09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Tandem every time for me. It depends on the pushchair (bigger wheels make it easier for anytype of double). Tandem's fit through all doorways so no need to leave buggy outside anywhere. :thumbsup:

moggy
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I love my tandem as side-by-side would not fit down our narrow pavements (cars parked on pavement and wheelie bins twice a week). Also I can push it right up my driveway past my car and a side-by-side would not fit. I have history of back problems but the tandem has not aggravated it at all. Downside is it does not have 2 lie-flat seats, but then I do not have 2 babies so not a problem for me.

loocyloo
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
i prefer side by sides. i like the children to be able to chat with each other.

i don't like the length of tandems, and with the phil & ted type, i don't like the one at the back being so low to the ground.

my 3 wheeler twin (mother care urban detour) is wide and doesn't fit through many doors, but there are many 3 wheeler twins ( or similar with 4 wheels ) that do. my mclaren twin stroller fits through all doors and is easy to push, but with small wheels, isn't great for countryside walking.:D i just use it when we are in town.

stargazer1
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I have one of each! :thumbsup:

I have a mothercare urban detour for long countryside power walks. Three wheels and proper tyres so very easy to push but doesnt fit anywhere! Have a graco stadium duo for town and school trips. I got both secondhand so cost far less than one pushchair new (thats how I justify it anyway!!) :laughing:

blue bear
09-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I have a nipper 360, phil and teds sport, mclaren twin triumph and three other single ones (oops think I'm addicted) all three doubles have different qualities

Twin triumph, children can chat together, both seats lay back independtly folds small, easy to carry. Harder to push with small wheels, no good in the snow.
Nipper 360, lovely to push one handed, children can chat to each other. Heavy to put In e boot, doesn't fit very narrow doorways.
P&t, easy to push, little ones fight over bottom seat as they tip up and chat to me, goes through all doorways. Heavy to lift into car, both seats can't lay back

miffy
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I prefer the side by side ones, they're easier to get the children in and out of than some of the tandems. Downsides are not being able to fit through some doorways and not very compact when folded (the three wheeler type) so don't fit easily in boot of small car

Miffy xx

pinkrabbit
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I have both, bought both second hand but very rarely use side by side one. I use my Phil & Teds everyday and think it is wonderful. Definately the best buggy i have used in the 24 years i have been using one. The one down side is you cannot have two seats reclining at the same time but i have never really found this to be much of a problem. The side by side one always makes my shoulders ache when pushing two toddlers in it. Phil & Teds every time for me.

LittleLegsCM
10-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I have a side by side, I really don't like tandems but that's just my opinion.

I have a baby jogger city mini double and it is fab on every way- solid wheels so no punctures, slim enough to fit through doors (not come across anywhere I can't get it in yet), folds reall really easy and slim and the seats are quite big so even my bigger toddlers look comfy instead of squashed.

It is a bit expensive but resale value is really good (I bought the new model only a few moths ago brand new, when I looked on eBay older models were still being bidded on for just as much!!) I would say it is definitely worth the money and more!!

CH1957
10-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Ive just bought the 360 Nipper and absolutely love it, its really easy to push and I can fit a buggy board for when I have 3 LO's. Downside, as others have said, is that its sometimes difficult to get through doors or in shops.
I originally bought the Phil & Teds but didnt like the 2nd seat being so close to the ground and that child cant see much either.

Jiorjiina
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I have the Baby Jogger city mini double too, and I love it.

There are only a couple of places locally I can't get it into, but they're very old buildings so a tandem won't get in there either.

It fits through all my doorways, and on the bus, the kids can see the same things, and the hoods are independent (and huge!), so one can snooze while the other is awake.

Mine was a bargain too, because I got it off ebay for about half price! :clapping:

watgem
10-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I have both, a Maclaren techno twin side by side-lovely for friendly chats and fits in through my front door/path. Also a graco stadium duo, huge basket for shopping/bags etc I like them both:)