PDA

View Full Version : Toys for older boys

JCrakers
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I need to get some new toys/activities for the after school children who are all boys. I don't want to waste money on things that they will look at and say they are boring. Can anyone recommend anything that is a hit for children 6yrs-10yrs.

Ive got Lego and they all seem to like figures but they are so expensive. Ive looked at Meccano too and wondered if it would keep them amused for a while

blue bear
08-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Mine like, dressing up, happy street, all crafts, anything to do with water, computer, k nex, Lego, soldiers and cooking

TooEarlyForGin?
08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Lego and Magnetix are always a hit.

Although today I have had a 9 yo boy sewing - and loving it. :D

Pipsqueak
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
This weeks experience with bratty 9yr old mindee (boy)

i wouldn't bother.... no matter what you get will be 'naff' 'boring' 'babyish' (and they will then proceed to play with all the proper baby toys) and said child will gurn/sulk/skulk/moan/grunt/groan/huff/sigh/puff/whinge/whine/flake/flop/flump/wind smaller children up/drip/drape/drop/melt and so on no matter what is offered or suggested.

However with my less ungrateful, willing, fun loving, interested, less spoilt older mindees (and own kids) they tend to love just about anything - magnetix, domino rally, lego (oh the lego), kinect, t-shirt/umbrella painting, being let loose with the arts and crafts/junk modelling, being alllowed to 'help' the little ones, (eat eat and more eating), older ones are enjoying the Talking Thinking Floorbook and similar mini projects, creating a box scene etc....

watgem
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
my nine/nearly ten year old mindee only likes the DS or the WII,although I have lego, toptrumps, magnetico,art crafts books, juggling balls, beyblades etc available he always politely says "no thankyou"and gets the DS out:(

Mouse
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
If I have older children here I get the board games out & they all love them.

The boys particularly like Guess Who, Operation and Connect 4.

funemnx
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
My older boy is never happier than when watching sky sports.... oh wait, that's my hubby!!! :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, when I had 8 and older boys they used to love going out to parks in the morning and then chilling in the afternoon with their own hand held games and/or a DVD, football in the garden or similar - and yes lots of eating! :)

mushpea
08-06-2012, 08:15 PM
when I had older children in the holidays we would spend most of our day out at a park or up the woods den building/walking the dog then at home they would chill out, play the wii or play with whatever resources I had out for the younger children.
after school hours they loved all the loose parts in the garden like all sized wheels to roll around the garden, large wooden blocks which they used to build forts or colour with chalks then wrap in material and give as 'pressies' to each other, tubes and guttering which they roll things through, I have a kitchen outside which they play using sand, pebbles, gravel and somtimes playdough when I make it, chalks are a huge hit with all ages and my garden looks very colourful on these days! the sand pit and also water is also a bit hit and in the tuff spot they love oats, pasta, rice or similar. The bestest ever toy we have is a old hover tube , the sort that is conzertiner looking, the roll things through it, talk to each other through it, poor water and sand down it, use it too pull each other along on ride on toys its wrapped around each other when they are the bad guy and need capturing. we also go for walks and bring stuff back like leafs, sticks, seed pods, at the moment is those grass seeds that look like darts, their favorite game is to see whose tshirt they stick to the best and this is my younger kids who learnt it from my older children last year!
we also have a guttering water wall, my OH put some guttering on the wall and kind of staggered it so the water/balls/cars/sand etc runs from one peice to the next.
we have blocke paved our whole back garden so we have an all weather surface which works brilliantly meaning they can spend a lot of time outside.
inside they tend to play with whatever I have out somtimes watchin the tv or playing the wii but not that often, they like to play with zoobs, little army figures the ones with the feet stuck together iyswim, but generaly they like being outside.