View Full Version : Hand, foot and mouth

handeme
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Is there any exclusion period?

AgentTink
07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
The answer is no according to the HPA guidelines

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1203496946639

In my opinion it would depend on how the child was who has them, as some children can get them in their mouth and these can be really sore, so in this case child may be better cared for at home.

As it takes days for it appear any other children would most probably have already been in contact with it.

Over one weekend before Xmas all 3 of the children I mind had it and I had them all on the Monday and they were all well in themselves. I just didn't go to any play groups that week to prevent further spread and also they were quite noticeable on their hands.

BucksCM
08-06-2012, 12:10 AM
The websites I checked said no.
But when I spoke to the parents I did say that if the lo really wasn't well then it's best for them to stay at home for the first day or so because they just want their parents.
Both of the lo I look after had it a few weeks ago, 1 after the other. I had them but I did stay at home because although they are less contagious after the spots appear, it can still be spread and as one of the lo is still putting things into her mouth I really didn't want to chance it.
It also sticks around in the body for up to 4 weeks!

miffy
08-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Not according to HPA guidelines but it is up to you what you do in your setting - for me much would depend whether the lo was up to joining in the usual routines of the day

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
My own son has had this 3 times and I stayed open, because he was okay apart from the spots and lack of appetite. I'd do the same with mindees...as long as they seem okay and are happy to join in etc. It can be quite nasty though, so if a child was really poorly I'd want them kept at home.

Playmate
08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
we have had it in our setting twice this year and one child had it both times :( unfortunately they are infectious for 14 days before blisters appear and normaly feeling under the weather during that time too :panic: Very little point in excluding unless the child is unwell. The 3 that caught it during the last out break were all under 2 and we put miserable behaviour down to teething. One of mindees mums caught it and was quite poorly, but is rare in adults.