PDA

View Full Version : Makeup on young girls.. Do you allow it?.

debilicious
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Quick question... Today an 8 year old came for the day..she brought her makeup from home with her. During the day she showed a 5 year old girl all her makeup. I found all this acceptable however before dinner time, she went into the bathroom and emerged at the dinner table with eyeshadow clearly on. I found looking at an 8 year old girl at the dinner table, wearing shadowy eyeshadow disturbing. There is something okay about experimenting at home but in my house the message I want her to know is that she is beautiful as she is. When I explained to her dad at collectin time that I asked her to remove her makeup which she had put on, he completely disagreed with me and encourages her to wear makeup as she is 'learning how to look after herself'. She also regularly looks at magazines of models and clearly idolises them.

What do others feel about young girls and make up in your setting?

pinkbutterfly
07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't see anything wrong with wearing make-up. I wouldn't encourage it of course but I wouldn't discourage it either. I think it's ok to experiment.
I come from a very strict background where I was NEVER allowed to wear a make up. Now at nearly 32 I still don't know how to do it ...
I wouldn't however allow her to share her make up with other children as they may have an allergic reaction, cross contaminate the tools they use or their parents may disapprove.

uf353432
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't have a big problem with it - my girlies have a tin with make up bits and peices in - which they frequently get out when mindee's are here and they all have a good face painting session where they look like clowns and 80's glamour pusses. I don't really make a big issue of it - I think its natural to play and explore makeup and I think if I do make more of an issue than in needed we make it seem like a challenge. I don't wear alot of makeup myself day to day - and my girls see me put on a bit of slap if I go somewhere nice - I don't think there is anything wrong with it if its an extension of role play which it appears to be at mine. all very innocent

Helen79
07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
dd (7) wears a bit of eye shadow or lipgloss occasionally in the holidays or at the weekend. I let her put it on then neaten it up (wipe most of it off ;))

I would have been fine with her wearing it at dinner but think I'd ask parents not to bring make up again and suggest she brings a toy instead.

loocyloo
07-06-2012, 08:30 PM
my 7 yr old DD loves make up. she has been given eye shadow and lip gloss and blusher. sometimes she puts it on, sometimes she doesn't. i don't generally comment. its just part and parcel of dressing up, plus she has to wear it for dance shows and sees it as part of the fun.

i don't wear any, apart from occaisonal eye make up ( and concealer ) if going out somewhere special.

my only concern would be, like a previous poster said, from the contamination of sharing brushes or allergy risk.

sarah707
07-06-2012, 09:16 PM
DD used to wear it a lot when she was younger... she doesn't bother as much now strangely enough.

I was relaxed about it - it's part of dressing up and growing up. :D

charleyfarley
07-06-2012, 09:26 PM
DD (9) really isn't bothered about make up although she did ask for nail varnishes for Xmas last year but thats as much as she wears and that's only during the holidays.

Carol xx

JCrakers
08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
My parents were quite strict and I wasnt allowed to wear makeup so I used to take it to school behind their backs, put it on in the school toilets and wipe it off before i got home :blush: I had a friend who HAD to wear a skirt for school so she used to arrive at my house and change into trousers. :laughing:

They also found out that Id had a Jack Daniels and Coke at a friends parents party when I was about 15 and went totally over the top. That led me to drink more behind their back an do loads more stuff :blush:

I learnt from this and I don't make any 'big deals' about anything. I'm very open with my children. My 13yr old son can try a bit of beer if he requires at home, he has, doesnt like it so thats that :D Hopefully by not making a big deal about it, it wont be such a big deal.
Im very open about it all. I know from experience that if you say No, they will do it behind your back...Well I did anyway :rolleyes:

My dd is 10yrs and not shown much interest in make-up but when she does I will just let her go with it. Obviously I wont let her go out looking like a tart and will tone it down and will also explain that she doesnt 'need it' and the importance of wiping it off EVERY night.
Ive been wearing makeup since I was 13yrs old. I wear it everyday and I won't go out without it (which is a shame) but it makes me feel good about myself and the makeup I wear has factor 15 in it so I would say my skin is better protected everyday from the sun :D

Pipsqueak
08-06-2012, 09:08 AM
your setting your rules.
If YOU aren't comfortable with this then regardless of what anyone else thinks then you do what you have to do.

Having all boys - yes I get a bit disturbed when the more adventurous child decides to experiment with MY make - up , not least because he at looks GOOD! lol

Occasionally some of my female mindees (during the hols) will arrive with a bit of lippy and clearly 'made themselves' up that morning. My 5yr old female mindee loves 'fluffing' herself.!!! I actually don't have a problem with it but whether thats because I don't have girls myself I don't know.

miffy
08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't encourage it at my house either but then I never wear make up myself.

Whatever the parents feel about it, in your house your rules apply.

Miffy xx

Polly2
08-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I think for me it would be the context of it - if its just experimenting, and role play then I would not have a problem and I think its quite healthy.

But it would concern me if like the op posted she was idolising models in magazines. That sems a bit ott to me and I would be worried about self esteem issues. In which case maybe you could do an 'all about me' topic or look at different cultures where you could explore people across the world...diversity etc.

singingcactus
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
It wouldn't bother me either. If you don't like it, but the parents of the children do like then I think you may have a problem, that you will need to work out with your parents.

I have all boys, and all my daycare kids are boys too - bar one. I wouldn't even bat an eye if the boys turned up in make up. In fact every holiday my youngest son cracks open the nail varnish and blackens, or purples his nails. I am just waiting for the day he asks for eye liner and piercings :). I am a firm believer in self expression, and as long as no child is being forced to be something, or wear something (or not wear something) they do not want to and are unhappy about, then I can honestly say, I don't care.

In your case though, you do need to talk to the parents about this as you are in total disagreement with the beliefs of her parents and the girl, and I'm not sure forcing your opinion (albeit in your home) onto another family will lend itself to a long and happy relationship unless discourse is had.

jane5
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I wear make up every day and will not go out without it :blush:

My dd (3) has some clear lip gloss and nail varnish that she chose from the disney shop and I dont mind her putting that on because she is just copying me after all. She also brushes her teeth because she copies me.

I do not like to see young girls caked in make up but I think it is all part of growing up. Believe me, already having had 2 dd's (now in their 20's) I have had my fair share of arguments over make up especially when one of them looked like an 'umperlumper' from the age of 13 :laughing:

I do not allow my 3yr old to "play" with it whilst other children are here because of the hygiene issues and in case another child has a bad reaction to it. I also will not allow a minded child to bring make up for the same reasons.
I did have one parent say that their son had got face paints for his birthday and she thought it would be nice for him to bring them here for everyone to use :panic:
I declined the offer and explained that I didnt want it rubbing off on my furniture thankyou very much :rolleyes:

I agree with you about a child being beautiful and I think dad is wrong to actively encourage her to wear it as this may effect her self esteem. I would tell dad that she is not allowed to bring the make up again though, if she chooses to apply it before she came then I would just ignore it as there is not really anything that you can do about it.

ajs
08-06-2012, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Pipsqueak;1111599]your setting your rules.
If YOU aren't comfortable with this then regardless of what anyone else thinks then you do what you have to do.

Having all boys - yes I get a bit disturbed when the more adventurous child decides to experiment with MY make - up , not least because he at looks GOOD! lol

Occasionally some of my female mindees (during the hols) will arrive with a bit of lippy and clearly 'made themselves' up that morning. My 5yr old female mindee loves 'fluffing' herself.!!! I actually don't have a problem with it but whether thats because I don't have girls myself I don't

I wouldn't worry too much about it, girls just love to dress up

mushpea
08-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I dont wear make up as I dont think I need it, people need to accept me for who I am and what I look like not somone with a 'false face',, yes I know it makes you ladires feel good and thats great I am not wanting to upset people with my comment its just how I feel
HOWEVER
If my daughter whos 13yrs wanted to start wearing it then I wouldnt steop her infact I often ask her if she would like to try some to be like her friends but shes not bothered.

If a mindee came wearing it then fine but I am not sure I would be happy with her bringing it and showing everyone as I would be concerened the littlys would get hold of it although I guess if she brings it she could leave it on the side out of reach and ask for it when she wanted it.

Katiekoo
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't like make up on children, my 3 yr old dd has already shown a strong interest in it :rolleyes: I blame Lelli Kelly shoes advertising!
Iit seems harmless to experiment, - just for playing not for going out I think. Pale lip gloss, glitter etc is a bit of fun....but dark o bight coloured make up is a bit grown up maybe?
At your setting you decide what's acceptable :thumbsup:

karen m
08-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Full agreement with debililcious, cannot abide children in make up,if parents allow it then use it when at home ,out with them